Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloTraveler View Post
Simple enough question. I'm wondering what the most you've spent on dinner per person. Even if you didn't pay for it, what did the total come out to?

Mine was $120 for 2 people in Chicago a couple of years ago. The girl I took there was a boozehound. She ordered 4-5 margaritas that evening...before we went to a bar and ordered some more

That's a funny story! The most I've paid for dinner was 1200. Like twelve hundred dollars. If anyone has gone or heard of the Melting Pot, you'd understand. I offered to pay for the whole bill of 10 people. including drinks. The food was incredible, not really worth it. I hate birthdays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:25 AM

18 posts, read 21,537 times
Went to Per Se a couple years ago, spent around $700+ for 2 with no alcohol. Best meal I've ever had though.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
That would have to be in San Cristobal, Venezuela. Interesting story.

We arrived in Venezuela in the afternoon, from Colombia, and changed a few bucks to pay for a hotel, intending to get a cash advance the next day at the bank. But that night turned out the be the night that Hugo Chavez' supporters staged their first ruckus, and the next day, all banks were closed due to the national emergency. So we were stuck with no Venezuelan money.

We went to an expensive-looking hotel dining room, and I asked if they'd accept a travelers check, and they said sure. So we ordered a meal at prices we couldn't afford (maybe $15 together, but a fabulous meal), and I tendered a $100 travelers check, to get the change in Bolivares. That caused some consternation, but after about ten minutes, the cashier begged, borrowed or stole enough cash to give us change, and we went on our way. That was enough to get us through 4 or 5 days, and by then, the banks reopened.

As for home cooking, seafood is a splurge. We both love fried oysters, and we make a pint of them (at $9) last two meals. When it's crawfish season, I don't care how much it costs to indulge a couple of times.

When we dropped in on an old friend in Brittany, he took us to a small medieval castle where we were served unimaginable terrine in our own candle-lit dining room. I have no idea how much it cost, but I did not reach for the check.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-25-2011 at 11:33 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 02:33 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
I think about $150 between my wife and I for an anniversary dinner in Lake Geneva. This included a fairly nice bottle of wine, and a generous tip.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:19 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
One of the most expensive meals I ever had I didn't pay for -- thank heavens. It was at the beginning of the ghastly phenomena known as California Cuisine.

As I recall there was a small salad with the dressing drizzled around the edge of the plate so as to not ruin the look of the artfully placed greens. The entree was two small pork medallions in some sort of reduction sauce with a long haricot vert (That's a really long thin green bean) split in two and curled around the plate and a carrot coin.

Dessert was a gawd-awful mousse of passion fruit and white chocolate -- it was inedible. It looked like a jello parfait that someone had dropped and scraped back into the glass and laid a spearmint sprig on.

A friend and I stopped for hot dogs afterwards.... and the dogs were better.

But the most I ever spent was at Cattlemens. I had no idea when I suggested it that was a more expensive steakhouse place. Since I suggested it when visiting friends who were having money issues, I mentally collared my husband and telegraphed the message we're picking up the check.... we got out of there under 200 bucks.

Luckily, Hubs said if I hadn't reached for the check, he would have....

Old 03-26-2011, 01:03 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
I remember it well. It came to a grand total of $6.52 with tax. TWO Happy Meals! Boy, was I splurging that day! But, you know, I'm worth it, dammit!!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Last year we went to dinner with another couple at a small, very upscale place here in Charlotte - it was a 12-course wine-paired dinner at the chef's table. The bill for the four of us came to just over $1000. That was probably the most we have ever paid for a single meal.

I think Craftsteak in Vegas was probably #2 on the list...maybe about $350 for the two of us.

I took my wife out to dinner for her birthday this past year and while it was not the most expensive dinner we have ever had over all, we did splurge on a bottle of Molly Dooker Velvet Glove which was about $210 by itself (not a bad markup since that wine retails at about $175 per bottle) - I have to say it was, hands down, the best wine I have ever tasted...I would have crawled into the bottle and licked it clean from the inside if I could have.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Simple enough question. I'm wondering what the most you've spent on dinner per person. Even if you didn't pay for it, what did the total come out to?
With no alcohol, maybe $30.

Over-priced, at that.

This is the "Well, la-dee-dah!" thread.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:28 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Quote:

Mine was $120 for 2 people in Chicago a couple of years ago. The girl I took there was a boozehound. She ordered 4-5 margaritas that evening...before we went to a bar and ordered some more
I would not think her a quality date to sit there and get sauced on your dime.

Next !

Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,798 times
Most expensive meal I ever had was one that I didnt pay for.

A speaker builder CEO brought me to Keefer's Restaurant in Chicago.

6 people = $2500.

THere was $400 bottles of wine x 3 and a $200 Cakebread wine for dessert. Meals were approximately $150 a person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance