U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 PM

3,413 posts, read 2,529,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Many people buy because of desire and not out of need.
Lol, by "many" you mean "virtually everyone" right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My daily driver is 20 years old... people stop me every week asking if I want to sell
I'm guessing something like an E30 M3 or air-cooled 911 Turbo right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM

13,516 posts, read 24,681,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Lol, by "many" you mean "virtually everyone" right?

I'm guessing something like an E30 M3 or air-cooled 911 Turbo right?
No, it's a 91 Chevy Style side Pickup with Factory Performance Package and looks like new, including the original blue metallic paint.

My fun cars are older, mostly convertibles...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-28-2011 at 12:06 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,204,777 times
I'm a life long new car junkie. Like Mathjak, I trade them in just before the warranty expires, usually 3 to 4 years. I haven't paid a car repair bill in decades, routine maintenance only (if not included in the purchase price). I pay cash even if they offer 0% financing and get the best possible deal. I can afford it and view it as part of my entertainment expense. (I have done classic car refurbs but that is a whole different situation.) The daily driver and fun car are always purchased new.

My former commute (now retired) was always via the back roads so I could dance a few curves and hit the office with a smile on my face. Driving for me is one of life's genuine pleasures and sampling the latest car offerings every few years is something I've thoroughly enjoyed.

By the numbers, a late model used vehicle is generally the most cost effective purchase, no question. However, the folks buying my trade-in will generally incur time and expense in maintaining the vehicle which I simply don't want to be bothered with under any circumstances. Works for me.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 03-28-2011 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 PM

10,398 posts, read 8,258,424 times
REMEMBER, NEVER EVER FALL IN LOVE WITH A CAR!

I fall in love with every car I own. That's because they last for years and years, longer than most marriages. My current car is 13-year old Jeep Cherokee (the small 2-door one) that looks great and runs better. Blue Book value is probably only $2,500 but I'd gladly put more than that into it if necessary because (1) Jeep doesnt make it any longer and (2) I love, love, love this car.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:46 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,818,287 times
I just bought a new car today that I want and probably don't need but I enjoy cars so I figure I'd spoil myself since my current car is over 10 years old.

People with $500/month credit card payments or child support payments (or whatever payments) are always telling me it's a bad idea to have a car payment. I choose my battles and they choose theirs. It may not be the best decision but I love my new car.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:58 PM

204 posts, read 634,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
By the numbers, a late model used vehicle is generally the most cost effective purchase, no question. However, the folks buying my trade-in will generally incur time and expense in maintaining the vehicle which I simply don't want to be bothered with under any circumstances. Works for me.
Yes, yes, and again I say yes! Purchased a 2008 Buick Lucerne CX December 2009. Priced nearly 19K (reasonable - NADA verified) we paid 18K (financed 10K) and paid it off one year later. The car is worth 16.5K today. I will never again buy new (the candid salesperson confided she would never either) because (I know - different strokes for different folks) it just doesn't make financial sense. And your trade-in point is well recieved. Great advice, Pilgrim21784!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:16 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,568,715 times
We buy new (or slightly used) cars when the old ones return to the dust from whence they came, or when our needs changed. I sold my 2-seater convertible and bought an 8-seat SUV when I married a man with kids...sold said SUV 8 years later when we moved to CA and needed 4WD to get to the ski slopes on the weekends.

My husband still drives his 13 year old Toyota pickup with 225K miles on it. I don't think it will last much longer, but he'll drive it until it is absolutely done.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 AM

4,554 posts, read 3,819,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The best time to replace, not buy, your cars is when there is a valid need for replacement.i.e. car to small,car wrecked,car body/frame failing. There is no other valid reason to replace a fully functional car. REMEMBER, NEVER EVER FALL IN LOVE WITH A CAR!

If you've done your homework to select the proper car (remember it's a machine) before you buy then it should last you until it's worn out.

I buy cars on a 20>30 year cycle since I hate car payments and wasting money.

Oh yes, if someone needles you about not having a fancy or new car just open your wallet and show then all that cash you have by not always having a car payment or draining the bank to buy a new one.

Must disagree. That was what I did till last week.

I decided rather than driving my Jeep into the ground (Like I did the car before) I'd sell it while it still had a little life left.
(I've driven enough cars into the ground to 'feel' it.)

Jeep cost me less than $1,000 per year to drive, not counting gas and insurance.

That was $2K I'd not have if I followed your advice/what I used to do.

Oh, the Truck I bought (~$4500) Only cost me $1625 (I traded into it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance