Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,005,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Money is an unlimited resource. You can only waste something is limited.
Huh? Money is an unlimited resource? I don't follow. Anyhow, if you want to spend $67k on something you could have gotten for ~$25k that is your business. I just think its strange, I'm always amazed by the sorts of things people spend their money on.

In terms of rules, why would you have a rule that didn't benefit you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,008,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
In terms of rules, why would you have a rule that didn't benefit you?
The rule generally benefits me. In this one case it didn't. I can sustain a miss here and there for the greater benefit of many hits. I consider it dicipline.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,986,787 times
Hey, everyday more and more places I discover don't take checks. They take plastic (incl debit card) or cash. But not checks. So yes, I can see why people use "check cards"

Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,008,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Hey, everyday more and more places I discover don't take checks. They take plastic (incl debit card) or cash. But not checks. So yes, I can see why people use "check cards"
The transition from paper checks and paper money to plastic makes sense.

user_id is asking why people use check cards instead of credit cards. Not so much of why people are moving away from paper.

In the OP, user_id is implying (and I agree) that it's better to use a credit card over a check card when you have a credit card at your disposal.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
The rule generally benefits me. In this one case it didn't. I can sustain a miss here and there for the greater benefit of many hits. I consider it dicipline.
How does it benefit you? And how did you decide on some particular ratio?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:33 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,986,787 times
Quote:
The transition from paper checks and paper money to plastic makes sense.

user_id is asking why people use check cards instead of credit cards. Not so much of why people are moving away from paper.

In the OP, user_id is implying (and I agree) that it's better to use a credit card over a check card when you have a credit card at your disposal.
Right. I suppose the choice between credit card and check card may weigh in favor of the credit card. Based on what has been said already, I can see advantage to using credit card. My own personal check card is also a master card so I can use it as either debit or credit. A straight credit card I seldom use except for a major purchase such as a household item. Generally I pay it off in 2 to 3 months (thankful to have the ability to do that).

However all those points and things with credit cards aren't for me. I live a conservative lifestyle and usually purchase just what I need and save the rest.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 PM

So why not purchase just want you need and get 1~5% back?

It seems that people are continuously correlating using a credit card to over-spending. I'm not sure why...

Also, if you have savings why would it take you 2-3 months to pay off a purchase?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,092,851 times
Quote:
So why not purchase just want you need and get 1~5% back?

It seems that people are continuously correlating using a credit card to over-spending. I'm not sure why...

Also, if you have savings why would it take you 2-3 months to pay off a purchase?
Because it does....

Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Because it does....
There may be a bit of a positive correlation between people that use credit cards and people that over-spend. But I'd suspect that there is a positive correlation between people that use cash and being broke as well. The point of my comment is that people keep assuming that if you are using a credit card, then you are over-spending and this, in general, isn't true.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,134,497 times
Quote:
There may be a bit of a positive correlation between people that use credit cards and people that over-spend. But I'd suspect that there is a positive correlation between people that use cash and being broke as well. The point of my comment is that people keep assuming that if you are using a credit card, then you are over-spending and this, in general, isn't true.
First of all people have an all or nothing mind set. I see it all the time. "I have 200 bucks extra a month. Do I pay more on my house, or do I put more into my savings?" No one ever thinks to split the difference and so both.

Secondly -- people generalize. "People that use credit cards over spend, and they all pay high interest, and they are all stupid" or "people that use debit cards are all stupid because they don't get rewards"

Well in reality, we all do what works for us. My one sister uses a debit card and she's very happy about her decision. My other sister and I use credit cards and pay them off monthly, and we are very happy about our decisions.

Frankly -- this sort of falls into that zip code thing, where it's none of your damn business. AND -- if people choose to use a debit card instead of a credit card, why are your knickers in a knot over it?

Trust me -- no matter how hard and long and convincingly I talk about how *I* feel emergency funds are a waste of money that could be invested instead of just sitting there.... people will have emergency funds of way too much money for my liking just sitting there. Do I think they are stupid for doing that? NO -- I think they are WAY overcautious.

BUT -- it's not my problem. OR my business. I can't change what people do or think... and neither can you. Your guise of trying to understand is merely a way to either make your point, and you have, OR it's to try to sway people to the your way of doing things.

Give up. It won't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance