Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 04:03 PM

52 posts, read 70,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
In terms of buying what you "need", I'm in no sense suggesting that people only buy what they need. Instead they should buy the things that gain them the most value, but determining this requires a sort of self-reflection and self-honesty that most seem incapable of.
The same can be said of the time some posters spend arguing minutia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 04:04 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So what you are saying is you are both superhuman? I mean how else are you able to not succumb to building up debt?
No, I'm saying just what I said. In the particular case of over-spending with credit cards I don't seem to be susceptible, not because I assume I'm not but because I've legitimately tried the alternative. In terms of debt, I follow a very simple rule: Don't do it.

Following a rule doesn't make you special...pretending that you're above corrupting influences when the science on the matter is clear as day is pretending you're superhuman.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
And what exactly makes you qualified to make this statement?
I don't know....because I'm wearing a plaid shirt? Does that count?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:06 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
very true. user_id has a mildly good point...as you get higher and higher...you're paying for a whole lot of stuff in a car that you don't need. but, that doesn't make it a waste. if i buy a lexus that has lane assist, adaptive cruise control, and auto parallel parking, i may not need any of those...but if the latest tech is what toots my horn...i didn't waste money on it. maybe that's what makes me happy in life.

but the funny thing is...no one needs more than 4 wheels an engine, and a seat with a steering wheel in it. maybe, if i have a family, i need seating for 5, or 7. but that's all i need. everything else wrapped into the car, by user_id's definition...should be a waste. so, let's all go out and order that entry level elantra, but let's ask them to subtract the stereo, air conditioning, and the remote key that comes with it.
I admit I haven't read everything in between your common-sensical post and the lastest one before mine. I agree that the car market is complex and that what people see as "worth it" vis-à-vis price is going to vary, including the prestige value, which will be important to some and unimportant to others. I think where user_id has his best point is in lamenting the folks who stretch themselves way too far just out of concern for prestige, or keeping up with the Jones'es. There is a lot of that in this country, and not limited to car purchases, and is one of several reasons behind our current economic mess (particularly with regard to real estate).

Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
No, I'm saying just what I said. In the particular case of over-spending with credit cards I don't seem to be susceptible, not because I assume I'm not but because I've legitimately tried the alternative. In terms of debt, I follow a very simple rule: Don't do it.

Following a rule doesn't make you special...pretending that you're above corrupting influences when the science on the matter is clear as day is pretending you're superhuman.

So you are not susceptible to overspending. When someone else says they are not susceptible to something they must be lying. Got ya.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I don't know....because I'm wearing a plaid shirt? Does that count?
It counts as you talking out of your arse. But we already knew that.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
So you are not susceptible to overspending. When someone else says they are not susceptible to something they must be lying. Got ya.
As I said, in the particular case of spending more with a credit card vs using cash, I appear not to be susceptible. Again, this isn't something I just assumed, instead I tested it. I'm undoubtedly susceptible to over-spending in other ways though.

Also, its not a matter of lying, its a matter of having incorrect beliefs about one's limitations and abilities.

Quote:
It counts as you talking out of your arse. But we already knew that.
No, its my well educated month talking, but this is online....I could say anything so what is the point?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
As I said, in the particular case of spending more with a credit card vs using cash, I appear not to be susceptible. Again, this isn't something I just assumed, instead I tested it. I'm undoubtedly susceptible to over-spending in other ways though.

Also, its not a matter of lying, its a matter of having incorrect beliefs about one's limitations and abilities.
If it is possible for you to not be susceptible to overspending with a credit card you must realize that same thing would apply to others with other situations. Yet you make the automatic assumption that anyone saying such a thing "must have incorrect beliefs about one's limitations and abilities".

If you can't see the problem with that line of reasoning I don't know what to tell you.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
If it is possible for you to not be susceptible to overspending with a credit card you must realize that same thing would apply to others with other situations. Yet you make the automatic assumption that anyone saying such a thing "must have incorrect beliefs about one's limitations and abilities".
Yep, realize that just fine, but you have a epistemological problem. How exactly does one know if they are or not susceptible? In the case of credit cards vs cash its relatively easy to find out, in other cases its extremely difficult or impossible. So one is faced with two options, assume one is susceptible to corrupting involves and avoid them when possible or assume one is superhuman and not avoid them. If you do the latter by the time you figure out you were wrong its likely to be too late.

Of course, I addressed this in a previous post, I'm not sure what's with you NJ folks and reading...

Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,018 times
Holy crap this is 42 pages now.

I use my Check/Debit card because it's convenient. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance