U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:01 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,941,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I really think C-D forum is full of frugal people. The replies I see reeks of frugality mentality instead of consumerist mentality I see around me. Most people I see around seem be big into spending money, well at-least when you are young.

For example, this weekend I went out and found out 80% of people I met at this big event had the lastest smartphone. I was one of few with a regular old phone. I know at-least 60% of people my age at work are living at high ($1200+) apartments even though they make less than $100K. In fact, many are people driving BMW, Lexus, etc even though they don't save much for retirement.
Switch environments. The one you're in right now is clearly toxic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:22 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,053,388 times
Quote:
I really think C-D forum is full of frugal people. The replies I see reeks of frugality mentality instead of consumerist mentality I see around me. Most people I see around seem be big into spending money, well at-least when you are young.

For example, this weekend I went out and found out 80% of people I met at this big event had the lastest smartphone. I was one of few with a regular old phone. I know at-least 60% of people my age at work are living at high ($1200+) apartments even though they make less than $100K. In fact, many are people driving BMW, Lexus, etc even though they don't save much for retirement.
Now, if they jumped off a bridge, would you too?

Don't mind what others are doing, only you. I would rather invest and save my money than buy crap that I don't need. If they don't save for retirement, then that is them.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:

There's nothiing with having a fancy car, smartphone, and living in expensive areas ($1200 in NJ is a bargain!).

But if you're doing it at the expense of your future, then you putting yourself in a high-risk position with little long term rewards.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,651,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Well then, I guess you need to decide to which group you want to belong: those who look like they have money or those who actually do.
I am absolutely gut-laughing at the premise of this thread.

The OP needs to go the the library and check out Stanley & Danko's The Millionare Next Door and read it..twice at least.

The key to security and real wealth is not $10K vacations and a new luxury car every couple of years. For most, that's the road directly into debt slavery. The OP's deluded idea of middle class is exactly what the vile banksters loaning other people's money to the drowning serfs need them to think--otherwise the bankers might not be able to rob the unwashed masses blind while sitting on their greedy fat a**es.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:40 PM

14,022 posts, read 16,939,432 times
"The biggest impediment to becoming rich is living like you're rich before you really are". Knight Kiplinger

Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,563,902 times
I just read an article that said the average American family of four needs to make about $68K nowadays to maintain a decent lifestyle (ie. not subsistence, but not lavish). Seems fairly accurate.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I just read an article that said the average American family of four needs to make about $68K nowadays to maintain a decent lifestyle (ie. not subsistence, but not lavish). Seems fairly accurate.
That number heavily depends on where you live. In some places, $68k would be plenty, while in others, it wouldn't be much.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,387,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're right. That $60k/month is my total expected income that includes another source of income that I left out.

The $4million should provide about $20k to $30k per month. This includes drawing part of it from the principle itself.
thank you for explaining. Its funny how different people think an dlive their lives. I would never need 60 K a month or even 20k a month. I am a millionaire who really lives poor!! I dont want to ever go back to work, I am spending very little. I am accounting for inflation, health care and just too damn cheap to spend my money. I am only 44 so I got a long way to go and boy Im saving saving saving and living cheap!!!!!!! I find living cheap much more fun. I can get creative, and sleep at night. I plan on helping people as I age with this money, I have no kids so I am in a position to give back and I want to. Thanks again for explaining.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 AM

12,476 posts, read 16,966,907 times
Quote:
I was one of few with a regular old phone. I know at-least 60% of people my age at work are living at high ($1200+) apartments even though they make less than $100K. In fact, many are people driving BMW, Lexus, etc even though they don't save much for retirement.
A $1,200/month apartment is easily affordable by anybody making $45k or more. Around here $1,200/month puts you in the barrio.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 AM

12,476 posts, read 16,966,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
The OP needs to go the the library and check out Stanley & Danko's The Millionare Next Door and read it..twice at least.
Or just watch grass grow...it may be more useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
The OP's deluded idea of middle class is exactly what the vile banksters loaning other people's money to the drowning serfs need them to think--otherwise the bankers might not be able to rob the unwashed masses blind while sitting on their greedy fat a**es.
Bankers? The businesses that benefit the most from consumers over-stretching themselves are the retailers, manufactures, etc of the products that they are purchasing.

Also, most of consumer debt is securitized, so its primarily private investors, pensions, etc that are "robbing the unwashed masses blind".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or