U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,009,958 times

Advertisements

I did that once and NEVER again..! I had the money, but fell for the pitch. First off, you have to fill out a credit app and now you have another credit card you didn't want. I figured out how much it would cost per month to pay it off in 12 months and sent them that much every month, so it was paid off by the time the 12 months was up. If it isn't paid off in full by that time, they add all the interest back on, so you didn't really get it interest free.
Many people think they don't have to pay until the time limit is up, and they get nailed..
I paid mine off in time, and then canceled the CC they forced on me, and will never do such a foolish thing again. that's another trick to bury people in debt...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 02:16 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,911,169 times
I like those deals, but you have to make payments immediately. If you used $5,000 with 24 months no-interest financing, you'd have to pay about $210 per month between now and then. Can you afford that? If you carry any balance at all beyond the grace period you might as well be putting it on your credit card. If you do it right, it's an interest-free loan.

I don't try to play the credit-score game. Just use credit responsibly and pay your bills and your score will take care of itself. With that said, I think it helps your score in the long run whenever you take on a loan and pay it off. It may hurt you in the near-term, so be careful if you're planning on buying a car or something soon, but in a year (maybe?) or at least by the time it's paid off it will add to your favorable credit history.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:46 PM

11,934 posts, read 13,734,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post

For example. If we can spend $300 per month, and it is 12 months no interest. We want to have the bill paid off in 10 months to avoid any odd hassles (first billing cycle starts late, leading to "on time" last payment resulting in 'late payment' and interest fees). So...$300/month X 10 months=$3000 for furniture!
We do the 10 payment thing too!

I always take advantage of these if they are offered when we need something.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:47 PM

11,934 posts, read 13,734,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebekahOwen View Post

Who needs $5K worth of furniture? What's the furniture worth once you buy it? You can buy a pretty decent car for $5K and it'll still be worth something in 5 years.
Lots of people can use $5000 worth of furniture, or even more.
And if you buy quality, it can last longer that 5 years... it can last forever.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM

4,347 posts, read 8,478,722 times
Make sure there are no fees.

Make all the monthly payments (if required) early

Pay off balance one month early

Follow up final payment with phone call or check online to verify payment was received BEFORE any interest was charged. Allow yourself enough time to send another payment in if the first attempt wasn't received.

I did the zero percent balance transfer and/or new credit card account game for yeeeeears. I always paid on time if not early. Did't open unecessary accounts just for the zero percent option. My credit score is above 800.

As long as you're disciplined, you can make the most of it. Make absoultely sure you know when that zero percent interest period is up.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM

7,062 posts, read 6,943,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I like those deals, but you have to make payments immediately.
Some don't require regular payments - I've done this once for a "No payments, no interest for 12 months". Two weeks before the year was up, I walked into the store and paid it with my credit card. Points! Then paid the CC off 3 weeks later

Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 PM

11,853 posts, read 11,366,819 times
Most of them are related to a balance transfer and the balance transfer fee kills the deal...

Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 AM

9,856 posts, read 7,768,305 times
They are good deals. It is safe to assume nothing you would buy with this has any residual value (you are not buying it to make money), so your goal is to minimize cost. Suppose you buy a $1000 TV and pay cash. That has a NPV of $1000. Now say you get a no interest card for 18 months, pay the minimum (say $25) for 17 months and pay the balance off in full in the 18th month (17 payments of $25 and one payment of $575). If you don't do anything with the extra money (keep it in an ING savings account at 1% interest) the NPV of that option is $869.77, so you save $130.23 on the cost of your TV by utilizing the 0% interest deal.

You just have to be disciplined enough to keep the money around working for you to pay in full in the last month.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 AM

4,476 posts, read 5,996,022 times
All advice has been great. All I can reiterate is to make sure you have the money to pay off in full already sitting in the bank. This should be above and beyond your regular savings.

If you don't already have a 6 months emergency savings, I wouldn't do the deal. And if you do have that and you do the deal, make sure paying off the balance is added to your 6 months savings.

We did this with Home Depot a few years back when remodeling the kitchen. We had the money but did the deal anyway. DH also had a stable job - he thought. When he was laid off it was like being hit with a truck. After going through all that and the stress, etc., I'll have to say, I wouldn't do this type of deal again. That's just me though. Even though we had the money, mentally you sit there wishing you didn't have this one more thing when you have no income.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM

4,614 posts, read 5,087,480 times
Quote:
Who needs $5K worth of furniture?
I wish I could have furnished my entire house for under $5k.

Quote:
That being said, when I bought a duplex I needed a fridge. I used Sears' credit card with no payments for X months. Divided the purchase price over the X months and paid it in full with no interest. Winner!

Sears is betting that most people won't do that! Also, if you make the last payment even 1 day after the "deal date", they charge you the FULL 6 MONTHS OF INTEREST FOR THE 1 DAY LATE.
Yep...as I've said before in this forum, credit is a tool...one can use it wisely, or one can use it poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
that's another trick to bury people in debt...
It's not a "trick" - what it is is a tool for people who know how to manage their credit and their money. Anyone who gets boned by one of these deals (such as in the type of example you discussed) has not been "tricked", just financially ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance