Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, I'm sure you timed the entire process, but you're still not calculating the total amount of time. Nor are you concerning all the other issues.

But if you want to run around trying to get a measly $18 go for it.
lol, taking 10 minutes is not 'running around'.

Tell me, if a cashier told you they could give you a $40 discount on groceries, but they had to run into the back and check with their manager first, would you do it? Or would you say 'screw it, it isn't worth the 10 minutes I have to wait'?

Right now you are picking the second option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
that stinks. you know how to check your credit report for free right? it doesn't give you your score, but it gives you the full report. i think you have to pay like $8 for the score.
turns out it wasnt even the att bill i thougtht it was. it was 6 dollars in interest on a chase business card that hasnt been used in a while. its probably good it was chase because she said they will fix the charge and credit, so hopefully i can get the full promo rate soon enough.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:34 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Tell me, if a cashier told you they could give you a $40 discount on groceries, but they had to run into the back and check with their manager first, would you do it? Or would you say 'screw it, it isn't worth the 10 minutes I have to wait'?

Right now you are picking the second option.
Again, you're not calculating the entire costs in terms of time and other issues. The fact that I would have to give out my financial information out to someone alone isn't worth a measly $40 bucks.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Right, not even worth thinking about. What am I going to do with a measly $1,000? Buy some candy bars?

Yes...of course not.

I have news for you....humans are mentally weak. But being a super-human you don't have to worry about this. I'm really just jealous, I wish I too could have tons of debt coupled with a lowish salary.
i don't have tons of debt, nor do i have a lowish salary. but keep passing judgment.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
turns out it wasnt even the att bill i thougtht it was. it was 6 dollars in interest on a chase business card that hasnt been used in a while. its probably good it was chase because she said they will fix the charge and credit, so hopefully i can get the full promo rate soon enough.
that's doodie. but they fix it, it's all better!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
i don't have tons of debt, nor do i have a lowish salary. but keep passing judgment.
Let's see, you have a ~$380k mortgage, you have student loans, you have a car loan for a ~$30k car and whatever loans you've taken out to pay for basic things...yet you don't have a ton of debt?

Of course I'll keep passing judgment.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Let's see, you have a ~$380k mortgage, you have student loans, you have a car loan for a ~$30k car and whatever loans you've taken out to pay for basic things...yet you don't have a ton of debt?

Of course I'll keep passing judgment.
i have no loans right now to pay for what you call "basic" things. my student loan debt, though i have more than enough to pay it off right now, is majority @ 1.625%. I have 1 student loan @ 3.5% that i am paying off well ahead of time. and some @ 3%. my car loan is miniscule, and we own our other car outright. my mortgage payment is the same as what my rent payment was prior to buying. in fact, i might just pay off the 3.5% student loan next month. i haven't decided yet. that's my highest cost debt other than my mortgage at 3.875% (30 year fixed)

so no, I do not have a ton of debt. a $380,000 mortgage in NJ, with the salaries we have, is hardly extravagent. though i know how insane that sounds to people not familiar with NJ. especially since I have a friend now shopping for 3 BR homes around 1500 square feet in Syracuse for around $90,000-$100,000.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
so no, I do not have a ton of debt. a $380,000 mortgage in NJ, with the salaries we have, is hardly extravagent. though i know how insane that sounds to people not familiar with NJ.
Well, whatever you want to think, in my book a $400k+ debt is a ton unless you're wealthy. If you want to believe otherwise, well, go for it.

How insane what sounds to people? You think NJ is the only place with inflated house prices?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Well, whatever you want to think, in my book a $400k+ debt is a ton unless you're wealthy. If you want to believe otherwise, well, go for it.

How insane what sounds to people? You think NJ is the only place with inflated house prices?
Debt is not a bad thing. Unplanned debt is a bad thing. People who use debt as a financial tool come out ahead of those who do not. Adequate planning is obviously essential, but when I hear people say they are completely debt free, I often wonder why they don't put more effort into personal financial planning.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Debt is not a bad thing. Unplanned debt is a bad thing. People who use debt as a financial tool come out ahead of those who do not. Adequate planning is obviously essential, but when I hear people say they are completely debt free, I often wonder why they don't put more effort into personal financial planning.
In personal finance debt is usually a bad thing, as personal debt is almost always taken out to finance consumption, not increases in revenue generation. There are only a few cases, within reason, where it can make sense. Student loans being the primary case.

What evidence is there that people that use debt in their personal fiances come out on top of people that don't? How would my personal fiances be improved by taking out debt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance