Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,850,126 times

Advertisements

Here is what I do:

1. No debt at all
2. 3-6 month in emergency fund (just put 5-10k in savings account)
3. Everything else in investments, mainly stocks. Avoid mutual funds, go for individual stocks.
4. First 250k-500k into income producing stocks. Look for 4-6% yield/annum. That will give you some nice cash flow, you could even retire off it if you live frugal lifestyle.
5. Above 500k you can invest in more speculative stocks.

You can also do active management investments like rental properties, farm land etc. But only do it if you have the time and commitment. Could be more lucrative than the stock market.

As for starting a programming services business check out odesk.com and do some side jobs. Great way to start. You don't need hundreds of thousands to start a programming business - its all services. Start by working on projects yourself and reinvest the money back into the business. As you get more contracts then you can hire some CS interns to help you or outsource online. I started my business with 1,000 and it nets over 200k+ today but thats after 5 years of blood sweat and tears. It aint easy thats for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,862,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
$15K to a 5 year CD. (Ally? Discover?)
If I was going to commit my money for 5 years, I'd buy a broad based bond fund that can invest in the US & Internationally.

I've had Loomis Sayles Bond...love that fund! Despite getting smashed in 2008, it came back nicely. I bought extra shares in 2008 an 2009 when it was down and it came roaring back. One of my few smart financial decisions during the crash! I should've put more in when it was down!

Despite the crash in 2008, it's returns are over 8% for the recent 5 year period...I wouldn't expect it to do that well going forward...but it's still a great fund!

Loomis Sayles Bond Retail (LSBRX) Fund Performance and Returns

Old 05-31-2011, 01:39 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,400,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
^I would not put any money into any CD with longer than a 1 year term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I agree, committing to a 5 year CD with rates where they are right now is just foolish.

To clarify - the only reason I suggested a 5 year CD was so that the OP could not touch it. No temptation and/or threat of a penalty usually makes the money stay in the bank. An account with access usually gets raided, for whatever reason.

The last time I owned a CD was when I was getting 16% in 1981. Boy, those were the days.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,193,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
To clarify - the only reason I suggested a 5 year CD was so that the OP could not touch it. No temptation and/or threat of a penalty usually makes the money stay in the bank. An account with access usually gets raided, for whatever reason.

The last time I owned a CD was when I was getting 16% in 1981. Boy, those were the days.
True, but interest rates on home loans were about the same too

Old 05-31-2011, 04:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,400,345 times
Yes, they were, for new loans - mine was about half that at the time

Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,651,884 times
Pay off your car loan immediately. Pay off credit card bills each month. Become totally debt free. Look for an interest bearing savings or money market account - some of them are paying close to what short term CD's are paying. You are doing great with your savings, but I'd also invest in a Roth and bank any raises you get. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance