U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 PM

130 posts, read 329,353 times

Advertisements

I know all the major banks suck, and a lot of people are going to say go with credit unions, but I need to open a checking account with one of these three. They're probably not that different, but I want to hear what you guys have to say about them. Preferences, dislikes, experiences. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 01:52 AM

2,502 posts, read 5,908,735 times
I use Citibank and I've been happy with it.

Whenever there's been an issue, the employees I've talked to have been very helpful and the issues have been resolved quickly. Good service, certainly. The website is easy to use and navigate. And my debit card has a thank you points reward system that allows me to get free stuff, which is nice.

I haven't used the others, so I can't help you there. But I'd imagine that they're pretty similar?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:12 AM

17,600 posts, read 23,805,174 times
depends on what services you need and how you use *them*

eg: do you travel a lot? you need a bigger national presence for ATM access.
if you stick close to the neighborhood then having even one ATM just doesn't matter as much.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:32 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,535,415 times
I keep an account at Wells Fargo primarily for the convenience of their free transfers within the WF network. My son has a WF account where he goes to college, and it is a quick way to get him immediate money if he needs it (and he usually does - heh). They are nicely automated, when I use the ATM I can chose to have the receipt emailed to me, which I do. And online banking is a must.

The other banks you mentioned may have those functions too - there just aren't any in my area. WF was the most convenient, with the easiest access drive-through.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:57 AM

8,683 posts, read 12,474,980 times
They are all equally bad. It won't matter a bit which one you choose. Pick the one with the prettiest tellers or the one nearest your house.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:18 AM

4,193 posts, read 4,496,490 times
Chase has been very good for me, but only because I have a large balance in the bank. If you don't plan to have a large balance, they'll ding you up the wazoo with fees.

Check out the particulars of what each bank offers -- fees, interest rates, balance requirements, etc. Without knowing more about your situation, it's hard to say which bank is best.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:39 AM

75,259 posts, read 36,424,032 times
They're all part of the bankster cartel so just check the fees and go with the one that will hurt your wallet the least.

Fees and min balance is what you need to look at. Bad enough they got your money but then to start charging you for them to hold your money or take some money out is just insane.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 AM

160 posts, read 239,232 times
Wells charged me $5 to cash a check since I didn't have an account with them. I was a wamu gal but then got sucked into Chase.
Chase is easy for my tenants to drop their rent into and worth the $15 service fee not to have to chase down rent.
I also like the iphone check deposit app - which I use ALL the time. You do need the iphone 4 though - on my last iphone the camera didn't focus enough and it made the app unusable.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:32 PM

9,323 posts, read 7,269,587 times
Disclaimer: I dislike the mega-banks on principle, and I have moved much of my banking business to local banks/credit unions. Now having said that, I have had pretty good service from Wells Fargo. Since Wells purchased what's-their-name a couple of years back (the one with a good presence east of the Mississippi River), they probably have the best nation-wide ATM network except for Bank of America. Well Fargo's on-line bill pay service has worked flawlessly, but I imagine that's true of all the big banks because it's so important for them to be competitive in that area.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:13 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,919,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvp View Post
I know all the major banks suck, and a lot of people are going to say go with credit unions, but I need to open a checking account with one of these three. They're probably not that different, but I want to hear what you guys have to say about them. Preferences, dislikes, experiences. Thanks in advance.
I've been with Wells Fargo for many years...since they bought out First Interstate...and have never had a problem with them. At this point I pay no fees, except on my savings account IF it gets below $300 and then it's $3. I have two direct deposits, do all my bill paying online, order new checks, etc. online and never have to go to the actual bank for anything.

I DID have their Rewards program BUT they charged me $25 year for it and I never got any more than that out of it so cancelled it. The way I understand is that the other banks DON'T charge a fee for their Rewards programs. I suppose, if I spent enough money, it might pay but I don't. I can't say how they are for handling problems because I've never had any with them.

Our other options, here, are BofA or Chase and I've heard tons of complaints about both. We do have one credit union and I've considered changing but old habits die hard, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance