Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times

Advertisements

Is it necessary to buy the latest version of Turbo Tax (Fed and State) for each year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
YES....most definately....Each yr right before you do your taxes order it online from TurboTax...you'll get the very latest version with the very latest updates and the lowest price....this was my 7th yr with them n happier then a hot pig in a wet mud puddle

Last edited by dynimagelv; 06-10-2011 at 11:18 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
yes tax laws change all the time

Old 06-10-2011, 12:04 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
Yep, gotta buy a new copy, most stores give a discount on it before tax season.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 AM

29 posts, read 238,745 times
Yes you do - just as you have to pay your tax accountant each time he does a return for you.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:59 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I use Turbo Tax, but I don't have to pay for it. I just choose the version that I want from website, and it's free for me.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:21 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
People really buy it every year? Can't you just go on their site and use it for free?

Old 06-12-2011, 03:46 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
you can find the federal alot of times for free but if you have a state tax than that is never free and in effect they charge you so much for the state it covers both.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:00 AM

23,452 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Actually e-filing taxes in most states is free, as long as you meet the qualifications that the state requires, which would probably be age (old or young), or income, or active duty, or qualify for earned income credit, etc., etc.

I remember during the last tax season my state ran ads almost consistently about it being free to e-file.

You can also use Turbo Tax to e-file your free state taxes but Turbo Tax will not inform you of that option. You could Google your state about the free e-filing. There is probably some way to e-file it for free on Turbo Tax, you'd just have to look around for the correct page on their site, or, see if there is a link to Turbo Tax from your states site that discusses the free e-filing. Turbo Tax would know if it's free in your state and if you qualify, but like I said .. they won't come right out and let you know about it since they'd rather sucker you and have you pay for it.

The states that offer free e-filing ...

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Some states give you the ability to file directly with their department of revenue, including the states of California, Maine, Massachusetts, and Minnesota.

The IRS website where the list of states info came from ...
E-File Your State Taxes Online for Free (http://www.irs.com/e-file-your-state-taxes-online-for-free/ - broken link)

Last edited by berdee; 06-12-2011 at 06:08 AM..

Old 06-12-2011, 05:37 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Actually e-filing taxes in most states is free, as long as you meet the qualifications that the state requires, which would probably be age (old or young), or income, or active duty, or qualify for earned income credit, etc., etc.

I remember during the last tax season my state ran ads almost consistently about it being free to e-file.

You can also use Turbo Tax to e-file your free state taxes but Turbo Tax will not inform you of that option. You could Google your state about the free e-filing. There is probably some way to e-file it for free on Turbo Tax, you'd just have to look around for the correct page on their site, or, see if there is a link to Turbo Tax from your states site that discusses the free e-filing. Turbo Tax would know if it's free in your state and if you qualify, but like I said .. they won't come right out and let you know about it since they'd rather sucker you and have you pay for it.

The states that offer free e-filing ...

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Some states give you the ability to file directly with their department of revenue, including the states of California, Maine, Massachusetts, and Minnesota.

The IRS website where the list of states info came from ...
E-File Your State Taxes Online for Free (http://www.irs.com/e-file-your-state-taxes-online-for-free/ - broken link)
Thanks for this info. Looks like my state offers free e-filing; will give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance