Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:57 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

Figure out on your own how much of a payment you can afford, based upon your own actual and expected expenses. If you borrow the maximum amount the bank is willing to lend you, you are surely borrowing too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,234 times
What I've seen is banks will generally loan you around 5x your income if you have no other debt and a good credit score like 720+. Meaning, if you have 20% down, no debt, and 44k a year income, you "can" probably purchase up to a 240-250k house.

Most of you who say the bank will only loan him 2.5x or 3x his income clearly have never talked to a lender in recent history. LOL.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
What I've seen is banks will generally loan you around 5x your income if you have no other debt and a good credit score like 720+.

Most of you who say the bank will only loan him 2.5x or 3x his income clearly have never talked to a lender in recent history. LOL.
But anybody who borrows 5x their income is looking for trouble.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
But anybody who borrows 5x their income is looking for trouble.
He asked how much the bank would let him borrow, not for 15 different versions of the Dave Ramsey sales pitch, though.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
He asked how much the bank would let him borrow, not for 15 different versions of the Dave Ramsey sales pitch, though.
Yes, that's what he asked, but I also thought he was looking for advice on how much he should borrow. It would be very foolish to borrow 5x your income, especially in an uncertain economy.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Yes, that's what he asked, but I also thought he was looking for advice on how much he should borrow. It would be very foolish to borrow 5x your income, especially in an uncertain economy.
Oh absolutely. Although I know of some people who are in situations where it's ok, such as under the table income, or perhaps they are buying a house with a husband/wife who lacks the credit to qualify for a mortgage (but has income), or someone who will almost certainly receive a spike in income yet wants to purchase now...maybe someone who wants to buy a property and rent out rooms and would want to max out their borrowing capacity, etc.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:37 PM

40 posts, read 140,824 times
Recommend that you speak with a loan officer and getting pre-approved before you start looking for houses. Otherwise, you are wasting your time looking at places you potentially cannot afford. Key is to deduct 15-20% from the amount you are pre-approved for- otherwise you will be house poor!

Old 06-17-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Oh absolutely. Although I know of some people who are in situations where it's ok, such as under the table income, or perhaps they are buying a house with a husband/wife who lacks the credit to qualify for a mortgage (but has income), or someone who will almost certainly receive a spike in income yet wants to purchase now...maybe someone who wants to buy a property and rent out rooms and would want to max out their borrowing capacity, etc.
A lot depends on the phase of your life. A lot of younger people have bought more expensive houses than they could really afford at the time based on the expectation that their income would rise, and it often did. But it's a risk to do that. I did that in a way with my first house. I could afford it, but my budget would have been very tight if my income hadn't risen. Buying decisions will necessarily be a lot different when you're at or past the point in life where your income has peaked.

The problem today is that many people have suffered from reduced incomes due to unemployment, job loss and taking a job with a lower income than the one they lost. Many young people aren't seeing their incomes rise as in the past. It pays to be more careful than before, though I don't necessarily believe in being overly conservative. As I said, a lot depends on age.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Things might have changed though I've always found that lenders were willing to lend me much more than I thought I could afford. I encourage you not to do this....find a house you can live with that you can keep long term as nobody has any assurance they can sell quickly now. Remember if you take on a morgage you are signing up to make that payment for a long time, not just in the good times but years and years out. Many people are thinking they can afford something now because their income is going good but they don't expect some years down the road job loss or illness, or divorce.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
What I've seen is banks will generally loan you around 5x your income if you have no other debt and a good credit score like 720+. Meaning, if you have 20% down, no debt, and 44k a year income, you "can" probably purchase up to a 240-250k house.

also i don't know how realistic it is to suggest a first time buyer put 20% down on a house. if everyone did that, it would drastically change the demand for housing. i read the other day that it would take the average american 14 years to save a 20% downpayment for the average house.

a friend of mine makes about $50k/year, and just bought a $180,000 house with a 100%-LTV USDA loan, got the seller to pay closing costs. He had about 5% that he could have put down, but chose not to. He has 2 roomates, and i so far he has been able to save more money on a monthly basis than when he was renting.

Last edited by le roi; 06-18-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance