Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,446,276 times

Advertisements

Two years I was paid #1300 dollars for hail damage. Last year my annual insurance premium jumped $200. Soon after that I received a letter stating I had hazards on my property that needed to be corrected or I wouldn't be allowed to renew my insurance this year. I did have a couple of dead trees in my yard, so I took them out thinking that would solve the problem. Also this year, I received a letter from a law firm stating that Allstate may have shafted me on my roof payment, and that I was eligible to partcipate in a class action lawsuit. Today I got a letter from Allstate stating that I would not be able to renew my insurance in August because of--get this--Peeling paint on side of house! Has anyone ever had something like this to happen? I've had my homeowners insurance with Allstate for over 30 years and have only filed 4 small claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM

23,563 posts, read 70,158,065 times
LOL!!! Dump the suckers. The homeowner insurance companies have radically changed over the past few years. A very small part of it is bogus claims, but the larger part is that they have figured out if a person has a mortgage, they HAVE to have insurance. Can you say "free ride to excess profits"?

The problem won't go away. When companies started quoting me premiums that were over 2% of home value (exclusive of land value), I told them to take a long walk off a short dock.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
Insurance compnaioes have a right to determinhe if the property is one they want to insure. The maintenance has to be done or even replacemnt policy can be effected. Non-replacement is even worse as the deprecaitation cna mean yhears i court. there are tons of companies that file class actrio suits but seldom do the insured really come out as hurricane victims i my areas can testify to. The laywers makeout like bandits tho.With most policy contracts the third claim is automatic nonprenewal. Even federal flood goes upo with claims and not just your but your areas.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:01 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times
I agree with terxdav. Four claims, even in 30 years, is a lot for any insurance company to absorb. I have Allstate and I'm not crazy about them but they're as good (or bad) as any other company.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,353 times
Have you given your agent a call? That would be the first thing I would do.....

Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 PM

6,377 posts, read 11,842,139 times
Well since you don't let Allstate into your house to see how you are maintaining it, they only have poor maintenance on the outside to judge how well you are protecting your house from losses. A small percentage of homeowners do a lousy job of maintaining their house and end up making an outsized number of claims.

If you think homeowners insurance is a rip off, think again. Almost every insurer around loses money on homeowners, but makes it up on either cars and/or life. Notice there are plenty of life only insurers, quite a large bunch of business risk insurers and of course a bundle of car insurers out there. Know of any companies just insuring homes?

Old 08-19-2014, 05:28 PM
zan

2 posts, read 5,469 times
Allstate is looking like it's taking a dive--think Sears and K-Mart. Their good hands are in your pocket.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:45 AM

106,236 posts, read 108,237,907 times
those claims are all stored in your CLUE report . even if you shop for insurance those claims can haunt you.

the claims can also haunt a buyer of your house too as the report follows your property too.

you can get a free copy once a year to see what dings are still on your report.

run auto and property

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.c...le/landing.jsp

Old 08-21-2014, 06:56 AM

846 posts, read 1,877,834 times
Let's look at this from a purely economical value.

The peeling paint on the house is a maintenance item...the paint is failing...probably because the siding is soft and it has failed or is failing. So the value on this item is $0. It has no value.

How can you insure something that has no value? In the event of a claim, they would owe to indemnify you for damages, not maintain your house. You are going to have a tough time getting insurance...until...get this...you fix the failing paint on your house.

What other items have you failed to maintain? Your furnace? Dryer vents? Gutters? Trees?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,967,748 times
There is an old saying: Your in good hands with Allstate until you have a claim, then they give you the finger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance