U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 AM

286 posts, read 1,109,325 times
Default Any experience with Key Bank?

Considering opening an account despite being a fan of credit unions. Looking to get opinions of the banking style, customer service, good / bad experience. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 06:15 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,873,444 times
They are average. I have a checking account with them that I did not use for yours now as they are not competitive with the savings/cd rates.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:38 PM

1,773 posts, read 5,082,602 times
A snapshot in time: I had both online checking and savings and bill pay service. Remarkably, their automatic bill payment service went down without them notifying me. It was obviously my bad for not checking, but after 2 years of good service I stopped. I ended up having my credit report marred (minorly) by that system failure. Because of this experience I didn't hesitate to shutdown my account when I moved and opened up a credit union account which in fact had smaller fees and the same services. In fact the credit union offered better loans so I thought it made more sense to take all my banking to them.

All that said - I am a firm believer in credit unions. I still feel like they offer better fees, and better investment & loan products than the retail banks. There's of course exceptions - one notable one is that Charles Shwabb about 2 months ago started offering a no fee onlinechecking & savings account product with a whopping ~5% annual percentage return rate - something no one else can touch but they have done to get new customers. You might want to look into this.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:15 PM

286 posts, read 1,109,325 times
Thanks for the heads up on Charles Schwab! I don't keep track of most financial institutions (hence the reason why I'm asking for advice on a bank... have used the same credit union for many years now with no thoughts of switching).

I do believe that DH and I are going to settle on a CU once we're permanently settled and not moving for a while. We are relocating to be closer to work next month, then settled for a long while. I will still look into Schwab, though.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:36 AM

510 posts, read 2,205,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
A snapshot in time: I had both online checking and savings and bill pay service. Remarkably, their automatic bill payment service went down without them notifying me. It was obviously my bad for not checking, but after 2 years of good service I stopped. I ended up having my credit report marred (minorly) by that system failure.
Mbuszu, I don't know how long ago this happened, and if they would remember the incident but... many creditors will remove derogatory information from your credit report with a truly legitimate explanation. As you had your payments set up with what should have been a very reputable business (a bank), they will very likely remove any late payments caused by their mistake... with very good proof of course. In addition, if they remove this, be sure and find out if your interest rate on your CC took a hit too. Many cards bump your rate if you're late.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
Considering opening an account despite being a fan of credit unions. Looking to get opinions of the banking style, customer service, good / bad experience. Anyone?

Hmm they wont give you any interest. Also charge you when your account will be overdrafted. Key bank is not honest to their words. So keep yourself away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance