Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 AM

17,370 posts, read 16,511,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

I could always borrow money from my parents when I was younger and dumber. I still can, actually...
I could have gone to my parents for money but if I had made that a habit they would have gotten worried about me and they would have asked me to move back in with them - not something that I wanted to do. I wanted my independence even if it meant not having very much to fall back on.

I had very little money but I didn't have much debt so I think that's the reason I was able to make it all work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 04:59 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,587 times
If I hadn't lived with my dad a few months before I started my new job, I would have been broke. I graduated college with a few hundred in the bank, but I certainly couldn't have afforded rent or my car without his help.

I really feel lucky to have at least one person to fall back on. It must be very difficult for those who don't.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,479 times
I was arrested for being too tired let me explain I was driving home after eating lunch at a local place into pulled into Bank parking lot to get some money out of ATM to do some shopping I was on the phone at the time when a police officer knocked on my window and said they gotta call somebody sitting in the parking lot Of the bank and asked me to do a sobriety test I have bad balance and I know that because I couldn't stand on one foot and balance myself they arrested me and when I got to the station I blew 01 which is well below the legal limit and gave me a bunch of tests and they assumed I was on something which I told him I don't do drugs and they still arrest me and kept me there and I had to get bailed out meanwhile I'm A CDL driver and I lost my job because of somebody in authority has the right to do that this is the Nazi police state we live in people wake up they charge you for being in jail locked up for every day you're in there in Florida privatized jail system they don't care if you're innocent or guilty here they only care about making money they temporarily Rowand life in the state of Florida

Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Now days fewer people go completely broke because there are more ways to make money and there are always Credit Cards to help tide us over if we run out of money. But in the old days, I remember being broke often.

I had no Credit Cards and was a struggling student. I ran out of money many times and struggled to pay the rent and feed myself. On occasion I ran out of gas and had to push the car to the side of the road for it to sit until I was paid. Other times I gave blood plasma to make a few extra bucks. I also checked the coin returns of payphones to see if anyone left money. I also use to walk up and down the street to find bottles to return.

Do you ever remember being broke?
I did my undergrad about a 3 hour drive from home. There was one occasion where I had to sell a textbook to put gas in the car, so I could go home and ask my dad for money!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Never have been so broke I couldn't eat or anything that severe, but have run my checking account negative a few times, mostly due to my own stupidity.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
When I graduated college I couldnt find a job right away due to the amazing job postings asking for 2 years exp for entry level accounting jobs. So I got so strapped for cash that I literally went fishing to feed myself and my wife (saltwater). Now Im not a religious man but while I was out there fishing I literally started crying and prayed to God to give me a job. About a week later I got a call back for an interview and I landed the job. Thats about the most broke Ive ever been. When I got my first paycheck there was 5 bucks to our name.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
At the end of chemo, I had maxed out my credit cards and knew that I had just enough money coming in to pay for any three of rent, food, transportation, or medical things, but not all four. I made too much money for assistance, but even living frugally with roommates, not enough to actually afford the things I needed. My diagnosis came only 4 months into my first job out of college, so I only had a few thousand in savings to draw off of. I skipped a lot of my medications and spaced out appointments as much as possible. It took me 2 years to get back into the back and only recently have I begun to feel somewhat financially secure (though, despite making solidly middle class wages, I still need to live with roommates to save as much as I feel is necessary).

Old 04-15-2014, 04:33 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
I was broke as a college student from time to time, but I guess that doesn't really count. I was never without a place to live, I was never without something to eat.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:46 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,573 times
Yeah, my entire life. I've never known what it's like to have a decent amount of money so it really don't bother me. I have food, a beat up old car but it runs, and a roof over my head. Have my music, movies too.
I see so many posts about most of you out there who do have money, good jobs etc and I can't relate. Honestly don't want to. Long as I can make enough to travel around, and repeat, I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance