U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 AM

64 posts, read 67,075 times
Default Paper Statements

Do you keep them? I have a filing case with folders for different things - insurance, credit union, car loan, etc- and file all of the paper statements I receive in the mail. However, this means I have a lot to go through when looking for documents, and my files are getting full. I've gone to paperless on a lot of things, but still receive plenty of paper in the mail.

So, what do you do with all this? What do you save, and what can go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 AM

492 posts, read 671,367 times
Default Paper???

Go online and have the statements e-mailed to you. I have a Gmail folder for the account name, and store them there. Also EVERY account I have the keeps the statements at lease 1 year and Discover Card for 3. If I get a bill from a local, I scan it. The last thing, we sold our home a few months ago, and they were going to give us at least 40 pages of documents. I asked and they were happy to e-mail them to me as they were copying them to PDF for for their own records. They said any time I wanted a printed copy, call them. I keep no paper any more.

Larry - Palm Beach Gardens, Fl

Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 AM

1,052 posts, read 977,949 times
What security issues w this type of storage are there Icole07?
So many identifiers with statements especially bank and 401K. I am fearfull and "oldfashioned."

Old 07-10-2011, 10:53 AM

492 posts, read 671,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
What security issues w this type of storage are there Icole07?
So many identifiers with statements especially bank and 401K. I am fearful and "old-fashioned."
Mary, that's the way the world is, all institutions store their info electronically, if they give you access to an area, I would hope it safe, if it's not then someone else could get to it. We have been doing it for at least the last 6 years, from Fidelity, SW Airlines Cu,Florida Power & Light Co Cu,Chase CC cards, AmeriTrade etc. Maybe no one want to spent $10 worth of his time to get our $5, but we have NEVER had a problem.

Larry

Old 07-10-2011, 10:55 AM

7,006 posts, read 9,286,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrenter10 View Post
Do you keep them? I have a filing case with folders for different things - insurance, credit union, car loan, etc- and file all of the paper statements I receive in the mail. However, this means I have a lot to go through when looking for documents, and my files are getting full. I've gone to paperless on a lot of things, but still receive plenty of paper in the mail.

So, what do you do with all this? What do you save, and what can go?
I own a business, so I save everything. BUT -- I clean out my records yearly. What I have at my desk is only 2011 records. 2010 records are put together, and put into one of two large clasp envelopes marked business or personal and the year, along with all my reciepts which are kept in regular #10 envelopes by month. After taxes are done, the whole 2010 years gets put into a large storage box in my attic -- and I removed 2004 and shredded it. You only have to keep three years, but I keep five.

I keep all my investment paperwork in a binder. I just cleaned that out and stored 10 years, which I will keep forever.

And in my desk file drawer, everything has it's own folder....

Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 AM

5,124 posts, read 6,556,382 times
A few things I do to keep down the clutter:
- Try to go paperless on the statements I can.
- For those that are mailed, I keep if its a medical bill because sometimes they come back and say you didn't pay and I have the proof!
- Use a document feed scanner to PDF all the other documents I need to keep.
- Use a 2 drawer filing cabinet with hanging files and make folders.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM

8,350 posts, read 10,932,740 times
I get no paper bills in the mail anymore, and only write one check per month, and that's for my rent. If my landlord would take online payments, I'd pay him that way too.

Every six months, I renew the insurance on my vehicle, and get paperwork in the mail. I scan it into a folder in my computer. Paper takes up too much space.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 PM

2,207 posts, read 1,716,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I get no paper bills in the mail anymore, and only write one check per month, and that's for my rent. If my landlord would take online payments, I'd pay him that way to.
I don't understand how a LL could not accept a check mailed from a bank? I would rather accept a check from your bank than from you. I know if I receive a check from the bank it will be good. I can't say the same getting a check from a renter. I am a LL and would much rather get a check from the bank...
I had a brief stay in an apt a few years ago and always paid online and let the bank send the check. Never have had a problem paying anyone on line.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:09 PM

8,350 posts, read 10,932,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
I don't understand how a LL could not accept a check mailed from a bank? I would rather accept a check from your bank than from you. I know if I receive a check from the bank it will be good. I can't say the same getting a check from a renter. I am a LL and would much rather get a check from the bank...
I had a brief stay in an apt a few years ago and always paid online and let the bank send the check. Never have had a problem paying anyone on line.
I rent from a private owner, and even though he's also a real estate agent, he only accepts checks and money orders. He knows my money is good, and I've never had a check bounce, and have no reason for it to bounce. We have a so-called "manager" who collects the rent. He's worthless, but he's been here for 12 years, and I don't know how many previous owners, so he calls himself a manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance