Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:57 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times

Advertisements

I have been considering paying off my student loan in a lump sum for a while now. I'd like to hear some advice on whether it is a good idea. Here are some of the facts:

I have ~$14,000 loan remaining, down from original amount ~$20,000

The interest rate is only 3.75%.

I currently pay only $150 a month on this student loan, as it was the amount set up when I first graduated and I never changed it. My interest rate was reduced 1% after 36 months of timely payment according to original terms. My understanding is that if I adjusted my payment amount, my rate would return to 4.75%.

I make a very good salary, live comfortably, and always pay my credit card bills in full every month.

My husband and I have been discussing getting preapproved for a mortgage and other things, and I wondered whether having this debt would help or hinder us. I always thought it helped my credit to have the timely payments on the debt. Would getting rid of the debt completely be a good thing for my credit?

Any thoughts? I have a lot of cash in the bank so I consider just paying in full but I'm not sure of the cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
The basic question(s) you need to answer are pretty simple:

If you use the money you have in the bank to pay off / down the student loans will that hurt your ability to have a nice downpayment (like 20%) for your home.

If you currently only pay 3.75% on your student loan could ever find ANY other source of borrowed money as cheaply?

I think for MOST people the answer to the second question is NOT LIKELY.

So too is unlikely that you would NOT be in overall BETTER SHAPE having more cash for downpayment than paying off student loan, though the total picture of how your husband's savings are also useful to nice downpayment is important too.

Generally the wise use of credit is tricky and a record of having done so improves credit score. The total DEBT to INCOME ratio is hugely important to how much lenders will allow you to borrow. Online calcultors will help you see how having cash to use as downpayment AND some room on the debt side of your situation is needed to maximimize smart use of downpayment...

Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
nope, you shouldnt do it

feel free to take a little pride in the fact that you could if you wanted to, but definitely dont.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I have been considering paying off my student loan in a lump sum for a while now. I'd like to hear some advice on whether it is a good idea. Here are some of the facts:

I have ~$14,000 loan remaining, down from original amount ~$20,000

The interest rate is only 3.75%.

I currently pay only $150 a month on this student loan, as it was the amount set up when I first graduated and I never changed it. My interest rate was reduced 1% after 36 months of timely payment according to original terms. My understanding is that if I adjusted my payment amount, my rate would return to 4.75%.

I make a very good salary, live comfortably, and always pay my credit card bills in full every month.

My husband and I have been discussing getting preapproved for a mortgage and other things, and I wondered whether having this debt would help or hinder us. I always thought it helped my credit to have the timely payments on the debt. Would getting rid of the debt completely be a good thing for my credit?

Any thoughts? I have a lot of cash in the bank so I consider just paying in full but I'm not sure of the cons.
If mortgage and other things that you are contemplating to finance are above 3.75%, I wouldn't pay it off.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Thanks everyone! That was my general thought, since 3.75 is so low. I'm not in a rush to pay it off, but I wasn't sure if the debt would affect my mortgage approval in any negative way. I was hoping just the timely payments would help my credit.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Thanks everyone! That was my general thought, since 3.75 is so low. I'm not in a rush to pay it off, but I wasn't sure if the debt would affect my mortgage approval in any negative way. I was hoping just the timely payments would help my credit.
As long as your debt-to-income ratios are good (both front-end and bakc-end), your student loans pose no issue to getting approved for a mortage. If you're looking at a mortgage so big that a $150/mo loan payment puts you over the DTI ratio edge, I recommend looking at less expensive homes. Overall, student loans are "good" debt and increase your credit score since you are paying on an installment (similar to paying off a mortgage). Shows your manage your credit well which lenders like to see.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:41 AM

111 posts, read 295,358 times
Disagree competely. Get out of debt! Even considering the value of money over time, I never understand the desire to add debt instead of paying debt..or the idea that it's better for a credit score to be paying small amounts of debt instead of having no debt.

You owe the money. Be done with it so you don't have to write that stupid check for the next 25 years or whatever. There's significant peace of mind in being master of your domain. Get outa the rat maze as early as you can!

Entirely possible my advice sucks; tons of people love debt.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:34 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Pay it off.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Pay it off and get out of debt. End the threat, something could go wrong and you'll be in a lot of pain. Get this monkey off your back.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerksticks View Post
Disagree competely. Get out of debt! Even considering the value of money over time, I never understand the desire to add debt instead of paying debt..or the idea that it's better for a credit score to be paying small amounts of debt instead of having no debt.

You owe the money. Be done with it so you don't have to write that stupid check for the next 25 years or whatever. There's significant peace of mind in being master of your domain. Get outa the rat maze as early as you can!

Entirely possible my advice sucks; tons of people love debt.
But if they are applying for a mortgage, they will still be in debt. The student loan interest (and amount) will be lower than the mortgage interest. I would think extra money should go towards a down payment (to reduce the mortgage amount) or paying off the mortgage faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance