U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 AM

861 posts, read 2,228,386 times

Advertisements

Is there a way to convert funds to Canadian Dollars or to open a Canadian dollar account in US without flying to Canada?

1. AFAIK, the following "Big Five" banks have their branches on the US side of the border.

Royal Bank of Canada
Toronto Dominion Bank
Bank of Nova Scotia
Bank of Montreal
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce

Namely, they have offices in Chicago/Buffalo and New York areas.
Do they allow US citizens opening the Canadian dollar accounts?

2. Is there a US bank with branches in Canada?
I have checked Citibank, Chase, BBVA, BofA, Wells Fargo, and a few more banks and none of them have branches in Canada. Citibank closed their offices back in 2008.

Canadian RBC bank has partner banks in Alabama and Mississippi. Not sure yet if they can open a Canadian dollar account and/or convert to Canadian dollars.

3. Is there a way to open US dollar account and Canadian Dollar account and convert funds between them without flying to Canada?
The original idea with Citibank was to have a US account and Canadian Dollar account and wire funds in between.

4. If not a bank, what Investment firm does investments in Canadian Dollars from US side?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 AM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
I just opened an account last week at Royal Bank, in Canada, by phone. They have given me my account number already, they are mailing me a signature card and a Client Card, which works at any ATM in the US for cash withdrawal.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,885,110 times
My understanding is that this can be done in the Forex markets. Any brokerage should be able to handle it for you. Or perhaps jtur88 has an even easier way.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:43 PM

9,361 posts, read 13,064,605 times
here is the US RBC site
RBC Bank - Home
Royal Bank of Canada (RY on TSX and NYSE) and its subsidiaries operate under the master brand name RBC. We are Canada’s largest bank as measured by assets and market capitalization, and among the largest banks in the world, based on market capitalization. We are one of North America’s leading diversified financial services companies, and provide personal and commercial banking, wealth management services, insurance, corporate and investment banking and transaction processing services on a global basis. We employ approximately 79,000 full- and part-time employees who serve close to 18 million personal, business, public sector and institutional clients through offices in Canada, the U.S. and 50 other countries. For more information visit www.rbc.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance