Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I would like to hear from those that have turned off cable tv. I have always cable tv. At one time it was just a small bill per month and a nice treat but now its just become a huge expense. I actually don't watch tv that much except for a few shows. I could watch those shows online and be perfectly happy.

My husband is the tv person but now that our bill is running 174 a month (cable, internet and landline) he is fed up now too. I have tried losing the landline but Comcast gives me some bull about its a package deal and it would cost me more to lose the phone. We have basic cable, no HBO..nothing. Why in the hell is it so much?

I'm ready to turn it off and surprised my husband is on board with it as well. So how did you make the transition? I have heard of people buying streaming devices such as Robuk. I have an apple tv already that we barely use so I am thinking maybe I could this device more often. Kind of waste as it now sits just collecting dust on the tv stand.

So give me your experiences of cutting the cord.
Wow, that is a big bill for cable. We live out in the country, so cable as such is not an option. For TV we just use OTA, for free, we get 2 feeds for ABC, NBC, and CBS, and 4 feeds for PBS. We watch mostly PBS.

See if you can't just get a different internet provider, and give Comcast the boot. I have heard a lot bad about them actually.

We have wireless internet from a tower similar to a cell phone tower, and old fashioned land line minimal service for about $20/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:12 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Thanks everyone. We used to live in a very large city and now a smaller town. One of the realities was not much options for tv. Its either the Dish or Comcast and the prices are pretty shocking. I used pay around 60 bucks a month for internet and cable (didnt have a landline). So I was pretty astonished that comcast basically makes you get the landline for "their package deal". I'm really not much of a tv watcher so I would have cut it off years ago but I live with two men that love their sports. But that being said, my husband complained he isn't getting the games he wants anymore. He is ready to ditch. I called Comcast and they want 70 a month just for internet. I have no other options except for DSL and I haven't had DSL for years. So when I told the rep. I want to ditch the cable, amazingly he found me some sort of "special" for 119 a month keeping everything I have as is. I dunno, I think Im ready to ditch it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:12 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
I did it, cancelled cable for a few months before moving....then I left behind older tvs and thought I would get a new one when settled.

That was almost 3 months ago and I still have NO tv. And it is great! Now I am not a big sports fan or reality show fan etc. and understand there are some who could not do that......

So this is what I do:

HULU.COM

FREE Tv shows/episodes, FREE movies. At any time of the day, on your computer. I get in bed with the laptop and just snuggle in.... It is not streamed-- and the only thing is you must watch a few advertisements over the lenghth of the show or movie.

Most TV shows are shown the day after air. I have enjoyed the movies...

AND remember: FREE. Just my monthly regular charge for internet.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:22 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Wow, that is a big bill for cable. We live out in the country, so cable as such is not an option. For TV we just use OTA, for free, we get 2 feeds for ABC, NBC, and CBS, and 4 feeds for PBS. We watch mostly PBS.

See if you can't just get a different internet provider, and give Comcast the boot. I have heard a lot bad about them actually.

We have wireless internet from a tower similar to a cell phone tower, and old fashioned land line minimal service for about $20/month.
It's ridiculous. Everyone I tell is shocked even if they are comcast customers themselves. I think its because Comcast have a monopoly on the area. Its either them or the dish and I don't like how the dish makes you sign a contract. I already deal with that crap on the cell phone plans. Where I used to live there were 3 cable companies. I paid around 60 bucks a month for cable and internet. It was annoying but not a bank buster like now.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I didn't cut off my cable, but I did stop all the extra pay stations. Definitely took a chunk off my bill. And we cut out the land line as well. No point having cell phones and a land line. Between the two we cut a good chunk off our cable/internet/phone expense.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:13 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I didn't cut off my cable, but I did stop all the extra pay stations. Definitely took a chunk off my bill. And we cut out the land line as well. No point having cell phones and a land line. Between the two we cut a good chunk off our cable/internet/phone expense.
There is a point, for me. I had a hurricane hit a couple of years ago and was without power for 3 days. Cell phone died, but my landline was unaffected. Also, my cell plan is the least expensive plan I can get....I don't have unlimited minutes like you probably do. But I can talk on my landline as long as I like. So yeah...there IS a point, or two.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
I went to Best Buy today to get a new Roku 2 so that I could finally cancel my TWC. When I called, the lady kept telling me I was getting the best deal around. I told her to cancel it anyway. TWC called me back and allowed me to keep my Roadrunner internet, cable and phone for $50 a month!! I think I am going to keep my Roku though. I haven't been without cable yet but I was ready to cancel and give up on the high fees.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
You might be interested in this article:
My Way News - Pay TV industry loses record number of subscribers

"The U.S. subscription-TV industry first showed a small net loss of subscribers a year ago. This year, that trickle has turned into a stream...."

Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Thanks everyone. We used to live in a very large city and now a smaller town. One of the realities was not much options for tv. Its either the Dish or Comcast and the prices are pretty shocking. I used pay around 60 bucks a month for internet and cable (didnt have a landline). So I was pretty astonished that comcast basically makes you get the landline for "their package deal". I'm really not much of a tv watcher so I would have cut it off years ago but I live with two men that love their sports. But that being said, my husband complained he isn't getting the games he wants anymore. He is ready to ditch. I called Comcast and they want 70 a month just for internet. I have no other options except for DSL and I haven't had DSL for years. So when I told the rep. I want to ditch the cable, amazingly he found me some sort of "special" for 119 a month keeping everything I have as is. I dunno, I think Im ready to ditch it. Thanks for the suggestions.
An option for sports might be xbox live. We have an xbox (get an old used one) and the xbox live subscription is pretty cheap. They have a deal with espn. You can stream through the xbox. We don't watch sports so I can't give you details. But you might want to go look it up.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
There is a point, for me. I had a hurricane hit a couple of years ago and was without power for 3 days. Cell phone died, but my landline was unaffected. Also, my cell plan is the least expensive plan I can get....I don't have unlimited minutes like you probably do. But I can talk on my landline as long as I like. So yeah...there IS a point, or two.
Well yeah, I meant for me. Not for everyone. I don't have unlimited minutes. I just don't spend that much time on the phone. And you could always charge your phone in your car if you are without power as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance