Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:28 PM

11 posts, read 19,843 times

Advertisements

Got the letter today in the mail and my credit card company is going to close my account for non-use unless I use the card. I have 30 days from today to use or lose it. Will my credit score be affected if I allow the credit card company to close my account? I could always send my credit card company a letter to close my account and avert any action from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,490 times
Why would you want to do business with an outfit that charges you for not using it? Cancel it yesterday.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:43 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
It is a catch-22 and they know it. Last I heard, when you OR the co. cancels your card, your credit rating takes a dive.

Not permanently, but reportedly it takes a while to build back up. Honestly I have forgotten how it works but it seems so unfair...google this question and see what you get...

Some keep at least one card no matter what. You must be able to get some instant cash and also keep a good credit rating, particularly if you are young. You could just buy groceries and pay off at the end of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual cowboy View Post
Got the letter today in the mail and my credit card company is going to close my account for non-use unless I use the card. I have 30 days from today to use or lose it. Will my credit score be affected if I allow the credit card company to close my account? I could always send my credit card company a letter to close my account and avert any action from them.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
If the card has no fee, I say go out every 6 months use it for few transaction, then pay it off that month.

If the card has some fee, let it go. Your score will take a small hit, but not much of one, and will recover in few months. You only need to worry about spikes in your score if you are going to buy a house, or a car, other then that it the minor ups/downs don't matter.

If its your only card keep it active, for emergency (car rentals, airplanes etc). Credit cards give more protection then using a debit card.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:11 PM

23,562 posts, read 12,525,568 times
If it's your only card then closing it will hurt worse then if you have other cards. If you have no other cards then closing it would mean that you have no active credit card history and that could get in the way if you plan on seeking credit now or in the future.

If you close it you will still have the history of the card for the next 10 years but the credit limit will no longer be factored in. So if you have other cards that have balances then your overall utilization will go up, which could cause your scores to go down.

If the card has an annual fee then you might use the card to keep it from being closed. Then, if your credit allows, try to find a card without an annual fee and close the annual fee card the next time the fee is due. If the card has a monthly fee then before it's closed you might first try to find a card to replace it and cancel the fee card yourself.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
So go buy a pack of gum and use the card.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:17 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So go buy a pack of gum and use the card.
This. Why not just use the card? In this economy, keep an revolving credit you can, unless you have a reason not to.

If the card has a yearly fee, and you aren't using it, well, then it's obvious.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:40 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
Another factor is how long you have had the card in relation to your other cards
If this card is one of your oldest and charges no fee I would keep it open. A portion of your credit report is based on longevity.

Also keep in mind if you do have other cards with balances having a card with available credit can balance out the cards that might be over 50% of their limit

If this isn't one of your oldest cards and you can do without it
Call the company before the 30 day point and close it yourself
Closed by consumer is must better than closed by creditor

Old 08-15-2011, 11:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
It may take a brief hit but not for long really. Bascailly wit new ruloes coming on how they profit CC companies are closig more cards that do not pay to service the accounts.Mnay even using enough wil find a return to service fees( annual fees) to keep accounts open.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual cowboy View Post
As others have said, closing the account will have a negative impact on your credit score as it will reduce your available credit. But the action of having the creditor close the account vs. you closing it won't make any difference.

If you are planning to get a mortgage in the very near future and need to maintain your credit score at a certain level then do as others have said and make a small purchase to keep the account open. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance