Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 02:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
CDL? What kind of shape and skills does one have to be in for that line of work?
I know a lot of people who work in the oil and gas fields. It is true that people who work in the industry can make good money. BUT, the work can be grueling, with lots of time on the road away from home, relocations to less than beautiful garden spots, hazardous work, irregular hours, etc. Like any other business, there may be jobs for relatively unskilled workers, but the best jobs, pay, and chances for advancement usually go to the people with skills, training, and degrees. The "oil patch" also can be fickle, with booms and busts. As is typical with many industries, when things bust, it is the least-skilled and least-tenured empolyees that usually get laid off (often permanently) first. Unfortunately, a lot of the workers in the oil and gas fields get seduced by the high pay and the illusion that the good times will last forever, and they wind up living up every bit of their income with little regard to saving or planning for the future. When things go bust, they are frequently bankrupt within a few months and lose everything. I've seen that happen more times than I can count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:15 AM

410 posts, read 833,295 times
Many employers just want to see that you have a degree. They don't necessarily care what it's in. I see many jobs that I can't even apply for because they say "four year degree required".

Old 08-23-2011, 11:27 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
Many employers just want to see that you have a degree. They don't necessarily care what it's in. I see many jobs that I can't even apply for because they say "four year degree required".
Some companies will substitute years of experience for lack of a degree. I still don't have a degree, but it's never stopped me from working white collar jobs.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
They just say that but its not true. You can still get the interview by knowing someone.

Its not what you know, its who you know.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Seems the OP isn't coming back ... Too bad.

Loads of missing Data;
What is this "b***shyt" degree.
Location, 35K is really good in some areas but barely living wage in others.

In some cultures, it is NOT unusual for some(even males) to live with their parents until their thirties.

Staying with ones area of education can leave out many well paying jobs.

It is really hard out there, some areas are flooded with people that are qualified.
Sometimes you need to take something that is "beneath you" to open doors.

Also, NEVER burn bridges, you may need them again.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Years ago, I applied for a job doing almost exactly what I had been doing for years but was deemed not qualified because my degree was in the wrong field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance