Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

When interest rates were 5-6% I could practically live off the interest and preserve my principle. Now that interest rates are near-0 I and millions of other seniors are just spending our savings down to nothing. Does this have the effect of decreasing money supply? In other words, if one million seniors spend 10 billion dollars of their savings in a year for everyday necessities has the money supply actually decreased by 10 billion dollars?

If so, is this good or bad for the economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
if one million seniors spend 10 billion dollars of their savings in a year for everyday necessities has the money supply actually decreased by 10 billion dollars?
only if, as an example, the entity you give the pile of cash to were to burn it.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:31 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
No, its not going to decrease the money supply as the funds will just change ownership.

In terms of seniors spending their money, that is obviously good for the economy.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No, its not going to decrease the money supply as the funds will just change ownership.

In terms of seniors spending their money, that is obviously good for the economy.
But is that good for the banks? Where once the banks had that 10 billion on deposit to lend, once it's all spent they then have empty banks accounts. Multiply that by tens of millions of depositors and you're talking hundreds of billions of dollars that have evaporated from the banks' books.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
But is that good for the banks? Where once the banks had that 10 billion on deposit to lend, once it's all spent they then have empty banks accounts. Multiply that by tens of millions of depositors and you're talking hundreds of billions of dollars that have evaporated from the banks' books.
When seniors spend their money its just changing hands, the money will still be deposited...just in different accounts.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
When seniors spend their money its just changing hands, the money will still be deposited...just in different accounts.
makes sense. the banks are kicking themselves for paying 5% all those years when the last 5 years have proved that people will keep money in accounts even it's only paying 0.02%.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
makes sense. the banks are kicking themselves for paying 5% all those years when the last 5 years have proved that people will keep money in accounts even it's only paying 0.02%.
The last few years have proved that when the economy is depressed and there is a lack of demand for money (for investments, etc) then banks can pay hardly anything in interest.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
The last few years have proved that when the economy is depressed and there is a lack of demand for money (for investments, etc) then banks can pay hardly anything in interest.
Let's assume that things go back to the level they were at pre-2007. It's a stretch because I don't really think the economy will ever come back like it was before; I think high unemployment is here to stay. But let's assume it does. I was earning 5-6% interest on my CD's at that time. Employment was 4.5% or so; GDP was much higher, of course. Do you think the banks, having figured out that they don't have to pay high interest rates anymore (because like you say, whether it's my money in there or I spend it and it becomes someone's else's it all winds up in the same bank) will actually raise interest rates back to 5%?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Do you think the banks, having figured out that they don't have to pay high interest rates anymore (because like you say, whether it's my money in there or I spend it and it becomes someone's else's it all winds up in the same bank) will actually raise interest rates back to 5%?
You're not getting it. The isn't something the banks have "figured out", the banks can get away with paying low interest rates when the demand for credit is low. If the economy returned to a healthy level banks would have to pay higher rates of interest to attract the same amount of money.

Interest rates are determined by supply/demand, banks would find it almost impossible to get many funds if they offered say 1% when treasuries were paying 6%.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Interest rates are determined by supply/demand, banks would find it almost impossible to get many funds if they offered say 1% when treasuries were paying 6%.
Oh, good point. i forgot about banks being in competition with the treasuries. So now the question is will treasuries ever go back to 6% when it would increase interest paymenst on the national debt by hundreds of billions of dollars. I think we are in this boat with next-to-nothing interest rates for the rest of the century, as the national debt will never be under control in the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance