U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2011, 01:57 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,571,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i agree, i didnt mean to suggest they are mutually exclusive. i just meant that money isnt going to make you happy if you are going to end up alone with a big house and fancy car. both is what you want and if you had to choose between money and a loving family, you are probably better off with the good family.
As Daniel Tosh puts it, "money buys a WaveRunner. Have you ever seen someone frown on a WaveRunner?"

I know what you are saying, and I agree that people and relationships are much more important than money, but I think many people use family as an excuse for laziness. "I don't work hard because I want to spend more time with my family". What if you could have both?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:58 PM

17,414 posts, read 13,636,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
From what I have seen of descendants of rich folks, that seems to be the worst thing that can happen to you.

Christina Onassis is one I can think of...Sarah Winchester is another...there are plenty more...
and you think there are any less examples of descendents that come from poor/not rich families that are all messed up? ive seen intervention, drug and alcohol abuse dont just happen to child movie stars and musicians.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:58 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,037,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Sure, but what are the odds of someone who has NEVER had a job NOT being that way? pretty low, the way I see it.
In fact, they are pretty high!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Why not?

People who have never had to work a sucky job or even any job at all can be some of the most interesting! They have the time and resources to fuel their "interesting-ness". The rest of us must often toil - and toiling hardly makes anyone "interesting".
are you suggesting that hearing someone complain about their co-workers or customers isnt fascinating? most working people could talk about their days at work and put any of us to sleep.

most of you couldnt last 5 minutes of me talking about a day at work for me. my wife is kind enough to pretend to be interested for a couple of minutes but thats all i give her because i want to spare her the suffering.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
From what I have seen of descendants of rich folks, that seems to be the worst thing that can happen to you.

Christina Onassis is one I can think of...Sarah Winchester is another...there are plenty more...
The trouble with such examples is that these are public figures cherry-picked to alleviate the pain and jealousy the masses experience when they realize they will never have the freedom afforded by being the descendant of a rich family.

I am not taking sides. I am just looking at reality from an ice-cold objective angle.

For every one like the ones you mentioned, there are plenty of people born rich, with strong identities, enjoying their lives among close family and close friends....sometimes showing up on charity events because this is the valve that keeps their lifestyle possible.

Explain to me again why I would not want to be CaptainNJ's descendant after he makes it big? Or the descendant of anyone with such magic in their bank accounts?

I am not going to ask you to come up with "evidence" that descendants of rich people are happy, on average; but I will, nevertheless, appeal to your common sense. Untainted by ideology if possible.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
are you suggesting that hearing someone complain about their co-workers or customers isnt fascinating?
Urghhh...yeee-ah.

What seems to be the problem?
May I help you otherwise?

PS: One of the most amazing and eloquent books I have ever read is written by a "born very rich" writer.
The man screams huge IQ, amazing insight, perceptiveness - just all around amazing. When you have IQ, material resources and character - the results can be incredible. I could only dream of having such a conversation partner.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Urghhh...yeee-ah.

What seems to be the problem?
May I help you otherwise?
i was being sarcastic. im not big on sarcasm because i think sarcastic people are generally obnoxious, but i thought i did it ok there.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
i was being sarcastic. im not big on sarcasm because i think sarcastic people are generally obnoxious, but i thought i did it ok there.
I thought so ... but was not sure.

I just find it sad to see how the masses are kept in check with terribly cynical ideology. Most have bought into the idea that the "born rich" are a combination of stupid-worthless-uninteresting-unhappy. They CAN be worthless (in terms of contributing to society) but they are certainly not uninteresting.

I even had a recent argument with my husband who was trying to convince me that placing our son in a very prestigious private school on a scholarship would be a terrible idea as he would be surrounded by horrible spawn of rich people.

I continue to believe that the self-made rich became that way due to a combination of:
- good genes/talent/utilitarian type of intelligence.
- some hard work, effort (though nowhere close to the Sisyphean toil that average Joes are usually urged to engage in to "make it there")
- being in the right place at the right time (historical serendipity).

Many dream of it. Few make it. Quite a few of those who make it are natural jerks. Others just make it there by functioning within a system that allows the potent to use the weak to advance their interests.
That doesn't make them horrible people - it just makes them human - fitter humans.

Should we encourage a system where the "fit" frolic and accumulate as much as their natural potency affords them regardless of what's left for everyone else, be they less "fit"? That I am not sure.

However, until the system changes, rich people simply have the resources to build a better quality of life for themselves and their families in a world that is becoming increasingly populated and cut-throat.
Sad but true.

The ONLY thing I believe in right now is population control.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,001,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I know what you are saying, and I agree that people and relationships are much more important than money, but I think many people use family as an excuse for laziness. "I don't work hard because I want to spend more time with my family". What if you could have both?
Just wait until you have kids in school and little league who want daddy to participate in their activities, but he can't because he's too busy working 60+ hours a week. See how that impacts your relationship with not only them, but with your wife who has to see the constant disappointment on their faces and explain why daddy can't be there.

Just sayin', it's easy to talk when you don't have these responsibilities.

"And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon..."

Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM

13,795 posts, read 25,202,662 times
I work with an Anesthesiologist that could have retired years ago.

One day I asked him about it and he said when I'm home... I'm nobody... when I come to work I am a Doctor...

He sees lot of patients without regard to their ability to pay and always accepts medical as full payment when many Doctors will no longer treat these patients.

So, he is by no means super wealthy... his kids are all doing exceptionally well and have been on their own for some time, his beautiful home was paid for when Reagan was President and he still drive his nearly 50 year old Jag XKE that he bought new.

The point is he likes what he does and the respect and admiration that goes with it.

He will be 70 in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance