Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:22 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,234,968 times

Advertisements

That is what I don't really understand about stars, for example, Conan O'Brien, he made enough money, to be able to do whatever he wants, travel, gain more education, do a completely different career, be with his family, yet...he goes and wants another tv show...

I am not sure though, I watched this show the other day, about lottery winners, and they seemed pretty unhappy...I don't know why...but one guy said, "All I do is look at my pool all day long"...that seems pretty sad and lame to me...I don't know why he does not do something...so, it made me wonder, if I was rich enough, would I quit my job? I don't know. I have a great job, that I worked very hard to get to...and I really love my work...but I would like to travel, spend time with my family, and do things other than work, if I had tons of money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,511,088 times
money doesnt buy happiness. you can buy all the expensive things in the world but if you dont have a family to enjoy them with, you probably wont be very happy. if you put your job above your family, you will probably find yourself divorced. some people like the stuff that comes with the high paying job (people kissing their butts, power, sense of importance) so they dont want to lose that. at work, everyone kisses their butts but at home their kids dont listen and wives nag.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:42 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,413,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
Remember when you were making $5 an hour? When you got $6 an hour, you were like "oh yeah I need to work harder so I can get a bump to $10 an hour."
Nope. I don't remember and nope, I - for one - was not LIKE that.

I have a limit to how HARD I am willing to work. Beyond a certain point, I am exhausting myself for something I never get to enjoy due to so much exhaustion in the first place. Most people can't make a serious amount of money fast so that the exhaustion will be only temporary. They will exhaust themselves for those few extra bucks an hour or a year, you name it - but the end results is NOT worth it. I agree, however, that this is not exactly the type of thinking that's helping the cause of a capitalist society.
It does help mine though.

I am willing to work "smarter" - but even smarts have their limits.
Not harder. Any harder than I am already working - and you can take that carrot of "opportunity" being dangled in front of my eyes and shove it wherever it fits.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
id like to set it up so that my descendants will have whatever they want and never need to work a day in their lives.
I wish I were your descendant! Care to adopt?

Old 09-12-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If you could make more money, would you turn it down?
Depends.

Make more money in exchange of what?

Old 09-12-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
The difference is that you are a slave to your job, you need your job to continue your lifestyle. The millionaire doesn't need to...this is the holy grail everyone strives for, to be able to leave their crap exploitative jobs and do what exactly it is they want to do with their life.

Besides, with the work culture in America I would like to know how exactly you could leave your work behind and go and stay in a 5-star hotel in Thailand for an extended period of time? You would have to fly to Thailand and then have the pressure to rush back due to your job...doesn't sound like a good lifestyle to me at all.

And incase you decide to stay there for any reasonable length of time then you would have used up all your vacation and then never be able to go anywhere else for the rest of the year.
Nailed.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,166,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
money doesnt buy happiness. you can buy all the expensive things in the world but if you dont have a family to enjoy them with, you probably wont be very happy. if you put your job above your family, you will probably find yourself divorced. some people like the stuff that comes with the high paying job (people kissing their butts, power, sense of importance) so they dont want to lose that. at work, everyone kisses their butts but at home their kids dont listen and wives nag.
Money and a good family are not mutually exclusive. I know plenty of miserable poor people and I know plenty of very happy rich people.

I plan on being wealthy and having a good family, but that is just me.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,511,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Money and a good family are not mutually exclusive. I know plenty of miserable poor people and I know plenty of very happy rich people.

I plan on being wealthy and having a good family, but that is just me.
i agree, i didnt mean to suggest they are mutually exclusive. i just meant that money isnt going to make you happy if you are going to end up alone with a big house and fancy car. both is what you want and if you had to choose between money and a loving family, you are probably better off with the good family.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:55 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,234,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I wish I were your descendant! Care to adopt?
From what I have seen of descendants of rich folks, that seems to be the worst thing that can happen to you.

Christina Onassis is one I can think of...Sarah Winchester is another...there are plenty more...

Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Have you ever had a job? A real one? I can't imagine that a person who has never had to work a sucky job would be even remotely cool or interesting.
Why not?

People who have never had to work a sucky job or even any job at all can be some of the most interesting! They have the time and resources to fuel their "interesting-ness". The rest of us must often toil - and toiling hardly makes anyone "interesting".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance