Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

but most academics arent particularly "book smart" either. they were just too lazy to get a real job, so they stayed in school. they are generally less "book smart" than their peers who actually went out and got a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 10:51 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im sure there is variation from subject to subject and whether or not they have real world work experience but as a whole the academic group were too lazy to work for a living so they stayed in college, got a higher degree, and teach.
Many may also choose this path because it is "safe" to remain in their comfort zone as they want to avoid the "risk" of the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
While it would be a bit of a stretch to argue that academics are SMARTER than everyone else, academics, on average, are indeed some of the most intelligent humans you will find. Just because they are not engaged in lucrative, entrepreneurial pursuits does not take away from their generally HIGH TO VERY HIGH intelligence.
They definitely think and portray they are some of the most intelligent humans you will find - perpetuating this ideal is their livelihood. They may also be smarter than the general public, but not smarter than many of their fellow college-educated peers who chose "smart" life paths.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,109 times
so i almost decided on buying the new bmw 3 series 2012, ... not for show off to other people, but for its driving handling and cool gadgetry (HUD, Blind spot, adaptive cruise, .. etc) , .. i am in my mid 20s, live with parents and have a good job (i can buy it without being completely broke). but i somehow came across this forum (this thread specifically) i have changed my mind, ... a car is just a piece of metal that transfer you from point a to b, there isnt any valid reason to spend alot of money on it -except maybe if the price is pennies to you, which isnt the case to me unfortunately -

so anyways i just signed up to thank you for changing my mind am sure there must be more important stuff in the future to spend money on.

cheers

Old 04-25-2012, 02:10 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
This weekend I was driving around my city and just noticed how many expensive cars there were around. For example, this one lady was driving an Infinite QX56 which tops off around $80K. Basically, all these people in my city also own houses.

Even at my work, most people start with at least "low end" car around $35K and many get $60K+ cars. I think I am one of few guys my age at my work who doesn't have BMW or a fancy car to show off. I still driving my almost 5 year old Hyundai still. Don't think I would get a car over $50K+ unless I was a millionaire with extra cash lying around.

I know most people at work or at my city don't earn that much more than me. But how could they afford these expensive cars? I really wonder what their budget looks like since most have houses or luxury apartments too!
I have a 12 year old Hyundai, and I wouldnt spend over 25k on a car even I was a millionaire.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIayankee? View Post
They lease, everyone in Miami has a nice car and the economy here does not support that.

The local economy doesnt, but in a place like Miami, there are a whole lot of people there who didnt originate there.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkan View Post
so i almost decided on buying the new bmw 3 series 2012, ... not for show off to other people, but for its driving handling and cool gadgetry (HUD, Blind spot, adaptive cruise, .. etc) , .. i am in my mid 20s, live with parents and have a good job (i can buy it without being completely broke). but i somehow came across this forum (this thread specifically) i have changed my mind, ... a car is just a piece of metal that transfer you from point a to b, there isnt any valid reason to spend alot of money on it -except maybe if the price is pennies to you, which isnt the case to me unfortunately -

so anyways i just signed up to thank you for changing my mind am sure there must be more important stuff in the future to spend money on.

cheers
I'm not questioning your decision. Do what you think is right. But the bolded part can be said about many things. Why eat out at restaurants? Food is just a means of sustaining yourself. There isn't any valid reason to spend alot of money on it. Basically insert any item that you choose not to buy the most basic version of.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:31 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm not questioning your decision. Do what you think is right. But the bolded part can be said about many things. Why eat out at restaurants? Food is just a means of sustaining yourself. There isn't any valid reason to spend alot of money on it. Basically insert any item that you choose not to buy the most basic version of.
Generally speaking, the added cost of buying and eating higher quality food every month will cost less than the added cost of a higher car payment (and registration, insurance, etc.) from buying a luxury car. If I could easily afford both, I would buy both but right now, I elect where I get the biggest bang (happiness) for the buck: better food while keeping the beater.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
According to many geniuses populating these boards (not necessarily on this forum), such a question should have never been posted in the first place. They all end with the same ol':

"It is none of your business how they afford it"; and
"They don't need your approval".

Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,550 times
This was me. I was making $180K a year at 22 years old and thought "Imma get a beamer". So I went out and leased a 3 series. When the lease came up a few years later, whoops, wadda ya know, I was no longer making anywhere near that $$$, but since Id put so few miles on the car I decided to buy it... I forget what I paid, but it was something like $25,000 - I convinced myself this made sense somehow. Mind you, this is after paying the lease for several years, so in reality, I paid closer to $50K for that car. In short, I was an idiot. Lesson learned.

I now drive a honda...

Old 04-26-2012, 05:51 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
This was me. I was making $180K a year at 22 years old and thought "Imma get a beamer". So I went out and leased a 3 series. When the lease came up a few years later, whoops, wadda ya know, I was no longer making anywhere near that $$$, but since Id put so few miles on the car I decided to buy it... I forget what I paid, but it was something like $25,000 - I convinced myself this made sense somehow. Mind you, this is after paying the lease for several years, so in reality, I paid closer to $50K for that car. In short, I was an idiot. Lesson learned.

I now drive a honda...
We've all been young and stupid

When I was making half of what I make now, I went out and bought a brand new Porsche with payments of about $900 a month. Previous to that I owned a BMW M Roadster, a Mercedes E-Class, and a few "economy" sports cars (Honda S2000, Nissan 350Z, Supra Twin Turbo)....

Now I drive a Mazda hatchback My how my priorities have changed... Net worth means much more to me than a nice car.... As I see my lower-paid peers driving around in their BMW's and Benzes, I just chuckle.

However, I WILL own an Aston Martin one of these days :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance