Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 09:58 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
The fact that 72 month loans for cars exist, means that not everyone that buys a car can afford one.
No that just means some people are seriously foolish with their money and instead of paying cash(waiting till they can afford it) they'd rather let the dealer rip them a new one.😀
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 09:59 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
The fact that 72 month loans for cars exist, means that not everyone that buys a car can afford one.
My last car I kept for 14 years (and still had value left; I sold it), so a 6 year loan for it would have been fine.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:19 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
I actually think that a 72 month loan makes more sense than most lease arrangements for higher priced cars. I've done the calculations many times but I suggest you try it. The monthly payment on a 72 month loan and a lease are usually very close. Now after the lease period ends (3,4, or 5) compare the buyback price of the car to the loan balance of the 72 month loan. It is always considerably higher. So if you:
(1) buy the car outright at the end of the lease period you are paying much more than the you would if you had a loan balance. What makes matters worse is you have to get a loan at used car rates.
(2) if you opt to turn the car in, you are inevitably going to be stuck with some fees for mileage or repairs.

I tell people that leases are really 72 month loans with terrible conditions added to them. Of course less expensive cars usually have leases that are bad 60 month loans.

So, if you have an issue with loans over 60 months, you should still rank them above leases. Actually a lot more cars are leased than ones that carry 72 month financing.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:50 AM

40 posts, read 30,939 times
They "fLease", most of them are in debt paying heft payments for a car that spends 90% of its time parked.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:58 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,454 times
what makes us human is our uniqueness, don't judge others simply because you want to drive a 10+ year old cars, while others like to enjoy their lives a little more.

You can only judge someone when they asking you for help. Otherwise, mind your own business.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:02 AM

23 posts, read 28,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
In my neighborhood we water our lawns with imported San Pellegrino because American bottled water is not good enough.
Must be the upscale corner of Cincinnati..
You'll find it works even better if you get the Pope to bless it and transform it into holy water...

Old 08-13-2015, 01:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain LB View Post
What rage and jealousy? These are Objective Observations, nothing more and nothing less.
I give a **** about what someone else does with their money when it's WASTEFUL (you're not paying attention to my previous messages, now are you?). When I see a McMansion housing 2-4 entitled douche bags I say to myself, "With those dozen bathrooms and rooms everywhere, that estate could easily house a dozen Families like an apartment complex." I could also go on about how the entitled waste water and buy Bottled Water to water their Lawns (because tap water ain't good enough!) and all the problems with plastic non-recycling going on, land fills, and all that's also related to consumerism gone wild...but you don't want to hear that, do you?

I speak out because I'm trying to make a difference here; trying to open peoples eyes.
If I don't, nothing will happen and the same old will continue (maybe even into new extremes).
To put it another way, if there weren't people like me over a century ago we might still have Slavery in America. After all, Whites have their place, Blacks have theirs. Maybe that's God's will, slaves certainly seem happy enough! Free housing and free chains... All Whites should just keep their mouths shut and go about their business. If they don't want to own slaves, that's their choice! Doesn't affect their lives in any way, no-suh!

With that lovely attitude, maybe today things would be different and I wouldn't have to wash my own cars, I'd get one of Them to do it for me for free!!!
Bet you'd like that, too, eh.

Then we'd have the one-upmanship game of HOW MANY slaves each of us own... Now wouldn't that be fun. Instead of garages there'd be...uh...Cells?
Now I'm driving by another McMansion with, what, 6, 7, 8 cells! Wow, he must be rich! I wonder if each cell is for an individual or for a small family?

Now that's rage for you. As for Jealously, well, as I've said I'm financially independent now and I Could Have whatever I wanted, but I Don't Want because then I'd become Like Them. See where I'm going here? In essence I'm exempt from it. Again, re-read my previous posts: I'm a minimalist, I live a Spartan lifestyle, and I'm proud of it, being an environmental prick and trying to limit my carbon footprint and all that jazz. To put it another way, I'm not Jealous over Waste--I'm Disgusted by it. One little country on the planet spoiling the rest of the Earth via excess. Do I have to draw you a picture?
Again, we're talking Sheeple here: one does something wasteful and the others follow along trying to match or beat that one a-hole. That's the American Way.
It's best if people act Now before it's too late. Global Warming and all that. Also think about things like the destruction of the rain forests and the near-extinction of species. Do you wait till it's too late? And then what, blame some dicks and do the finger-pointing game?
That leaves me saying "I told you so." Well, that doesn't change anything when it's too late.
When it's gone it's gone.
No rage? I would start by reading your posts man. You're all over the place. So now people who like nice cars big houses and live a comfortable life are akin to slaveowners? So if someone wants a luxury car, a big house and a comfortable life that means they want slaves? You must be out of your mind with those correlations.
Nobody here seems to be telling you how to live your life as luxurious or spartan as it may be. Which btw you are free to live as YOU please. You know that whole pursuit of happiness. You're very adamant on "teaching" or "showing" people how to live their lives. Because YOU live that way that's how they need to live too.
The difference is I don't care what you do and how you live your life. It's not my business. Start telling people face to face how to live their lives. See how far it gets you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSams View Post
They "fLease", most of them are in debt paying heft payments for a car that spends 90% of its time parked.
And you know this to be a fact? Ok I just bought my wife a luxury SUV. Can I afford it? Am I in financial trouble? Did I buy cash lease or took a loan? Truth is you know nothing financial about that person by looking at them. It's conjecture on your part based on opinion and incomplete information. Basically a big giant WAG. Wild azz guess.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:37 PM

23 posts, read 28,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No rage? I would start by reading your posts man. You're all over the place. So now people who like nice cars big houses and live a comfortable life are akin to slaveowners? So if someone wants a luxury car, a big house and a comfortable life that means they want slaves? You must be out of your mind with those correlations.
Nobody here seems to be telling you how to live your life as luxurious or spartan as it may be. Which btw you are free to live as YOU please. You know that whole pursuit of happiness. You're very adamant on "teaching" or "showing" people how to live their lives. Because YOU live that way that's how they need to live too.
The difference is I don't care what you do and how you live your life. It's not my business. Start telling people face to face how to live their lives. See how far it gets you.
Sure took that top line out of context, now didn't ya...

If you didn't care and it wasn't your business you wouldn't be constantly responding to me here telling me that you don't.
Bet you never thought about that one, did you.

If people actually did Care about how they lived their lives, we would have an excess of food, fuel. electricity, water. Etc. Rather than serious shortages. It would be better for the community. Better for the nation. Better for the planet.

Just to give you another example since I'm in a chatty mood: Suppose I have enough money to buy up a million acres of beautiful forest (complete with wildlife and all those cute, furry woodland critters). I own it and I therefore can do Anything I want with it (according to you). Suppose I want to turn it into a bonfire just for the Fun of it... Well, that's what the entitled people in power Do and they justify it the same way You do.

Maybe if more people had Rage we'd have more Humanity...
For that matter, with more people possessing your attitude, I can easily see Islam ruling the world...

Finally, I've already mentioned somewhere here in passing that I have tried to tell people how to live their lives. They didn't listen of course. Some went into debt. Others died. My cousin died of cancer at age 50. His baby girl will probably die of it in her 20s if she keeps sucking up microwaves from wireless tech. She already has ADHD most probably from it. Bottom line is that nobody listens to me. So you're right for once: it doesn't get me very far. But at least I Tried and have a somewhat clear conscience.
They're called Fools, by the way.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:49 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
I have a 72 month car loan.

I like the flexibility of very low monthly payments, and the interest rate is nice and low.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
No that just means some people are seriously foolish with their money and instead of paying cash(waiting till they can afford it) they'd rather let the dealer rip them a new one.😀
Even if you could afford to pay for a car with cash, it would be better to take the loan option in most cases. Ideally a bank or credit union loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance