Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 07:09 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times

Advertisements

Poor / middle class want to appear rich while the truly rich want to appear normal. People who have nothing want to look like something while people who have something want to appear as nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 11:09 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Please don't speak for all of us. I don't like driving and spend very little time in my car. I deliberately designed my life that way. I hate car-centrism. I get a kick out of swimming against the tide--not to mention a lot less stress and expense.

Agreed that there's a diminishing return. I completely disagree that it's 70k to 80k. Holy cow! People drastically overestimate how much happiness material things will bring them.
70k to 80k is probably reasonable for people with 2+ kids in HCOL areas. It just depends.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:35 PM

654 posts, read 423,874 times
Maybe they just love cars, I'm a car nut myself and the feeling I get when I'm carving curvy roads, rowing through my gears in my perfectly balanced Cayman is almost better than sex. That said, I bought my car used, do all the maintenance myself along with most repairs. I spend less on my cars than most people who drive new econoboxes will, I payed about the same as a new optioned out Camry, though to non car people they would think its a brand new $60k car. Apart from my cars, I live a pretty frugal lifestyle, I shop at discount grocery stores, go to thrift shops, don't own any high end clothes and so on. It's something I like so that's where I choose to splurge.

I got to drive my Honda S2000 for 3 years and ended up selling it for more than what I originally paid for it, I was also considering a BMW 1M which have also gone up in value like crazy. The cars I like tend to depreciate slower, compared to most dime a dozen luxury cars that depreciate rapidly. I don't buy cars with that in mind, and it's rare that it happens but it certainly does. The old NSX, Supra, 1M, S2000, e30 M3, Elise/Exige just a few cars that used to be fairly affordable and now are expensive.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,743 times
I'm sitting here reading through the post scratching my head. I just managed to save 1x my yearly income of six figures at age 27. In fact, I just managed to save 60K this year.

That 60K car is just too much even when I just got a raise of another 40k next year. Even leasing doesnt make sense to me, you are just perpetually paying the highest payment of the car which is the initial depreciation cost. Meanwhile, trying to keep my 1,000 dollars car running for an extra 3 years (fixing myself). Personally, i dont understand how anyone can afford to spend so much money. People dont worry about savings or loosing their job?

Economy is going to crash soon based on historic data. People will loose their jobs. Most of my friends drive better than me and earn way less. Just voicing my frustration for being poor.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
People that lease and multiple income home earners.

Most of my neighbors drive luxury vehicles. But most of those are a lease. I have a luxury vehicle as well but it's paid off.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:45 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
inheritance, lawsuits, leases, salvaged title, etc. There's ways to appear rich when you don't own one dollar in your savings account.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:14 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
This weekend I was driving around my city and just noticed how many expensive cars there were around. For example, this one lady was driving an Infinite QX56 which tops off around $80K. Basically, all these people in my city also own houses.

Even at my work, most people start with at least "low end" car around $35K and many get $60K+ cars. I think I am one of few guys my age at my work who doesn't have BMW or a fancy car to show off. I still driving my almost 5 year old Hyundai still. Don't think I would get a car over $50K+ unless I was a millionaire with extra cash lying around.

I know most people at work or at my city don't earn that much more than me. But how could they afford these expensive cars? I really wonder what their budget looks like since most have houses or luxury apartments too!
Low interest rates, easy lease terms, no desire to ever actually own the car.

Oh, and some people have a lot of money.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:33 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Most people as their incomes rise continue living check to check. Me personally I'm not really into cars so retiring a few years early to me is much more valuable than driving around a nicer car, however most people seem to enjoy the cars more. Nothing wrong with either way of doing things, it's their money, we all have different priorities.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:37 PM

518 posts, read 764,002 times
1 - Some people really like driving/cars and willing to sacrafice their money/retirement to get enjoyment now.

2 - Some people like to keep up with the joneses and look nice/rich.

3 - Some people actually CAN afford it and are actually wealthy/have their financial houses in order. (probably the smallest %)

Old 12-29-2017, 01:59 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Wow I can't believe the haters on this forum because others can afford things they can't. Set your goals higher people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance