Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
even without the booze/cigarettes, they couldn't afford to live there on one income
ok, but they wouldnt be able to afford their lifestyle including booze/cigarettes without your help. you can do whatever you want, doesnt matter to me. but im pretty sure anyone familiar with the subject would say you are enabling them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ok, but they wouldnt be able to afford their lifestyle including booze/cigarettes without your help. you can do whatever you want, doesnt matter to me. but im pretty sure anyone familiar with the subject would say you are enabling them.
whatever dude. is there a point that you are trying to make or do you just wanna be heard?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
How much will you really be saving when you take into consideration the extra cost of gas for commuting and the wear and tear on your car?

I think once you leave home it's really hard to ever live under your parents' roof again. $11,000 would be worth it to me to have my privacy and my own life. If you were destitute and needed a place to live, I'd say do it - but you are in a good position financially. You just want to be in a better position - but money isn't everything.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
whatever dude. is there a point that you are trying to make or do you just wanna be heard?
if you are putting in money for the house, your mom and her bf should be nice enough to share the alcohol and ciggys with you, dude.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Trust me...it's the last thing I want to do, but at the same time, the savings might be worth it. But I'm not sure.

I'm a 27-year old male and have been living alone for the past 3 years and generally prefer it that way. My lease ends on Oct 31 and at that time I will have about $25,000 in savings. My choices are either to (a) continue renting for another year, or (b) move back to my parents' house for about 9 months to save money. If I continue living alone and renting, I will have about $32,000 in savings after that 9-month period. If I choose to live with parents I will have about $43,000 in savings after that 9-month period. In other words, I will be $11,000 richer if I live with my parents during that period. I also have a $10,000 student loan I want to payoff, and I really want to buy a decent starter home (no fixer-uppers) as soon as possible.

The only good things about living with the family is that it can be nice to have people to talk with and play games with, play with the dogs, etc. And it's nice to come home to a cooked dinner every night, since I hate cooking. Also, my parents live in a much nicer town than the one I live in now. It is in a rural area, too.

Currently, my commute to work is 20 mins (19 miles roundtrip). Commuting from my parents' house to work would be 40 mins (59 miles roundtrip). I'm not too happy with the idea putting all that extra mileage on my car, but whatever.

Now, I would be living in the bonus room, which is a large, spacious room above a 3-car garage. It has its own heat/AC zone. But there is no door for privacy, so I would have to put a large quilt or something to cover the entrance to the room. This room is very far from everyone else's bedroom in the house.

One thing that would **** me off is every morning my dad wakes up and goes in the kitchen, turns the TV on and blasts FOX News while sipping his coffee and being angry at Obama (not that I like Obama). If I do move back there, the household will have 7 people living in it, ages 13 - 53. It's your typical rural wealthy white conservative Christian Republican household with a Chevy Suburban. Kinda drives me crazy actually. Everyone is so damn loud and noisy, too. And I'm gay, so meeting other guys for dating is going to be more difficult. But whatever.

Anyway, what would you do if you were in my situation? Obviously, if I moved back it would be all about saving money and NOTHING else.

Thanks!!
So what is more important to you? The money or your family?
I ask the family because if you move in and display the attitude you displayed in this message you and your family may end up estranged. Take care.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if you are putting in money for the house, your mom and her bf should be nice enough to share the alcohol and ciggys with you, dude.
i hardly smoke at all, and i dont drink as often. when i do, i prefer the more expensive stuff than the cheap crap they consume

Old 09-23-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
i hardly smoke at all, and i dont drink as often. when i do, i prefer the more expensive stuff than the cheap crap they consume
why are you letting your mother drink/smoke the cheap stuff? she is your mother for godsakes! give her and her bf a few extra bucks so they can pick up the good stuff and enjoy it with you!

Old 09-24-2011, 11:37 AM

sometimes i do, but i usually can't afford it. i'm in college. i'd rather splurge on the expensive stuff once in a while than buy the cheap stuff all the times, besides, how i do it always comes out cheaper anyway, because i consume much less

Old 09-24-2011, 12:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
CNN just offered this advice 20 mins ago

"move in with friends or family for 6 month to a year to SAVE more money.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
I didn't read the whole OP and don't need to. You're 27, no do not move back in with mom and dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance