Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,912 times

Advertisements

Only women would do this. What about marrying a girl that doesnt have any cash or desire to work? And no trust fund? There are plenty of them out there. No aspiration to work, went to college only to get into debt and hope to be a stay at home mommy. Are they worse than a broke guy? I think they are a money pit if you ask me. Waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,651,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Not political, just using that as an example.. We all know about getting elected.
So, what were you thinking ? Friends and family? Thats where I am at, after 35 years of marriage!
im just thinking that nobody changes. if you are dealing with a person in your family and you want them to change, dont expect them to because they never will. a lazy person is always going to be lazy. a jerk will always be a jerk.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:12 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,928,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im just thinking that nobody changes. if you are dealing with a person in your family and you want them to change, dont expect them to because they never will. a lazy person is always going to be lazy. a jerk will always be a jerk.
Then why do some spouses all of a sudden, after 30 plus years of living and working together, decide they are no longer interested in you romantically? They are proud of it also. The dedication is still there, just not the person you married so long ago. I think it has a lot to do with being in control, once they become the sole income source almost,with a good business they are proud of. Never mind you set them up long ago, but even in marriage you were still the boss.Not so anymore. when you retire and are 8 years older. I don't understand, having a lot of thoughts go through my head but the," in control " thing ,that seems to fit. Its still a mystery and has been going on for 6 years when I retired...something is wrong. Counseling so far has only confirmed the admittance about the romantic thing being no longer interested.. Maybe something more will come out ? I have had several friends who have experienced the same thing, maybe women DO change !

Old 12-15-2011, 03:39 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,678,546 times
The wife and I borrowed $5 for the notary wwhen we got married, 50 years ago. I was making $67 a month in the Army then. Still doing fine.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,791,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I wouldn't.
Are they also disabled?

Old 12-15-2011, 05:08 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,403,938 times
Someone who has always been dirt poor and broke? Absolutely not.

There is nothing "romantic" or virtuous about being broke and poor. It sucks. That is why I busted my behind to NOT be broke and poor.

Granted, this is only my personal experience, but the people I know with very little means, who say that they "don't need money", are fooling themselves. I have had to cut off my friendships with a couple of these people. They are heavily dependent on the kindness of others, in order that they may be able to maintain their "minimalist" lifestyles. They don't "need" cars because they are always bumming rides from other people, for example. They don't "need" this or that, because they are always waiting for someone to put something they want on Craigslist. They don't even "need" to save money, because they can always send out a mass text requesting $400 for car repairs or $15 for cigarettes. (Yes, I have gotten these text messages, and no, I didn't give them the money.) These people aren't mentally or physically disabled; they are actually quite capable, but they lack the motivation or discipline to better themselves. Plus, they also have a "crabs in a bucket" mentality toward anyone who is comparatively successful.

Even friendship with this type of person gets old really quick. I shudder to think what it would be like being married to them.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:01 AM

40 posts, read 117,657 times
When I was 18? Yes.

Over 30? Absolutely not.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,928,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Someone who has always been dirt poor and broke? Absolutely not.

There is nothing "romantic" or virtuous about being broke and poor. It sucks. That is why I busted my behind to NOT be broke and poor.

Granted, this is only my personal experience, but the people I know with very little means, who say that they "don't need money", are fooling themselves. I have had to cut off my friendships with a couple of these people. They are heavily dependent on the kindness of others, in order that they may be able to maintain their "minimalist" lifestyles. They don't "need" cars because they are always bumming rides from other people, for example. They don't "need" this or that, because they are always waiting for someone to put something they want on Craigslist. They don't even "need" to save money, because they can always send out a mass text requesting $400 for car repairs or $15 for cigarettes. (Yes, I have gotten these text messages, and no, I didn't give them the money.) These people aren't mentally or physically disabled; they are actually quite capable, but they lack the motivation or discipline to better themselves. Plus, they also have a "crabs in a bucket" mentality toward anyone who is comparatively successful.

Even friendship with this type of person gets old really quick. I shudder to think what it would be like being married to them.
I went through the same thing with my first wife...one child, I seldom saw, only when he wanted money for drugs or to get out of Jail. That went on for many years. When I had the chance ,when he was young, his mother sent him out for me to handle. Little did I know about the drugs.etc. I decided a private school, very strict, I was sure that would do the job...however His Mother came out and " rescued" him...bad move. Today he is pushing 50, never married, can't hold a job, and lives in a world I do not understand. I see him every few years now, when someone dies. sad ending of the only child I ever had.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:28 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,101,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe746 View Post
Only women would do this. What about marrying a girl that doesnt have any cash or desire to work? And no trust fund? There are plenty of them out there. No aspiration to work, went to college only to get into debt and hope to be a stay at home mommy. Are they worse than a broke guy? I think they are a money pit if you ask me. Waste of time.
Being a stay at home mom doesn't always mean you have no desire to work. I did that when my kids were little and it was really about what was best for our children. Things change. When they were older and it was time to do something else I did. We were never broke. This thread is really more about being smart or stupid with what money you have, rather than how much you actually make as a couple. If one parent is bad with money, both of you and the whole family gets to be broke and poor always. Someone can make a six figure income and still spend more than what they make and be paycheck to paycheck. I wouldn't want to ever be with someone like this because I do not want to be poor.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,101,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Ya, sounds like my family right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance