U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:39 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,347,646 times

Advertisements

This is a funny little article from a printed publication from a few years back that I'm copying here, just thought I'd share.

How the lottery is a tax on the stupid

This weekend's Powerball jackpot is up to $315 million this weekend. It's likely just as many tickets will be sold all throughout America, so someone is surely going to win right? Not necessarily. The odds of winning Powerball are 1 in 195,000,000 and that doesn't sound like impossible odds considering that is a 9-digit number, and that number is miniscule compared to our Federal government's debt. People who are educated when it comes to mathematics and statistics know how long the odds are, and such people most likely wouldn't even waste a roll of 100 pennies to buy a Powerball ticket. Thus, the lottery is essentially an unnecessary tax on the stupid. To put things in perspective, I've dug up some stats of incredibly unlikely things that might happen in one's life that are more likely to happen than winning Powerball:

A person is more likely to:

Be struck by lightning 4 times in one week and survive each strike.
Be mauled to death by a Polar Bear while wandering through the Mojave Desert.
Drown in a puddle of water 1" deep.
Have their vehicle be struck by a meteorite while driving down the interstate.
Survive a fall from a 12-story building.
Die from a bite of a common garter snake.
Hit 100 consecutive half-court basketball shots.
Make all (18) hole in one shots on an 18-hole golf course.
Find a 3,000 carat rough diamond while digging a diamond field.
Get beheaded by a samurai-sword wielding maniac while at the c-store counter buying your ticket.

So, are you still feeling lucky? Instead of buying that lottery ticket, you're better off to invest in some good golf clubs & some lessons, and then trying to hit 18 hole in ones. If you can do it, the money you could earn from fame, notoriety, product endorsements, and winnings from PGA tournaments from a career in golf could easily exceed the amount of money you could win on Powerball.

The 18 hole in one stat is impressive, I wonder if anyone has ever pulled that feat off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM

16,102 posts, read 19,743,374 times
Not for the winners. Just think of how quickly a National Lottery would pay off the deficit

Old 09-28-2011, 08:52 PM

15,632 posts, read 8,040,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
This is a funny little article from a printed publication from a few years back that I'm copying here, just thought I'd share.

How the lottery is a tax on the stupid

This weekend's Powerball jackpot is up to $315 million this weekend. It's likely just as many tickets will be sold all throughout America, so someone is surely going to win right? Not necessarily. The odds of winning Powerball are 1 in 195,000,000 and that doesn't sound like impossible odds considering that is a 9-digit number, and that number is miniscule compared to our Federal government's debt. People who are educated when it comes to mathematics and statistics know how long the odds are, and such people most likely wouldn't even waste a roll of 100 pennies to buy a Powerball ticket. Thus, the lottery is essentially an unnecessary tax on the stupid. To put things in perspective, I've dug up some stats of incredibly unlikely things that might happen in one's life that are more likely to happen than winning Powerball:

A person is more likely to:

Be struck by lightning 4 times in one week and survive each strike.
Be mauled to death by a Polar Bear while wandering through the Mojave Desert.
Drown in a puddle of water 1" deep.
Have their vehicle be struck by a meteorite while driving down the interstate.
Survive a fall from a 12-story building.
Die from a bite of a common garter snake.
Hit 100 consecutive half-court basketball shots.
Make all (18) hole in one shots on an 18-hole golf course.
Find a 3,000 carat rough diamond while digging a diamond field.
Get beheaded by a samurai-sword wielding maniac while at the c-store counter buying your ticket.

So, are you still feeling lucky? Instead of buying that lottery ticket, you're better off to invest in some good golf clubs & some lessons, and then trying to hit 18 hole in ones. If you can do it, the money you could earn from fame, notoriety, product endorsements, and winnings from PGA tournaments from a career in golf could easily exceed the amount of money you could win on Powerball.

The 18 hole in one stat is impressive, I wonder if anyone has ever pulled that feat off!

I 100% agree with you that it is foolish to waste your money away on the lottery, because the odds are severely against you.

However, your comparisons seem to be way off. However, remote the odds are...people "do" actually win the powerball and several times a year this happens. Has anyone ever really been hit by lightning 4 times in one week and let alone survived? Has anyone ever in history made 18 straight hole in ones on a standard golf course?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,577,456 times
There's nothing wrong with buying a few tickets with realistic expectations. However, when people who have very little blow hundreds of dollars, then it is stupid.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 PM

17,579 posts, read 37,396,785 times
It is a frigging dollar to play. Who cares?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 PM

3,823 posts, read 4,979,328 times
There are several lesser dollar amounts to be won on a powerball play, and I think that's the mindset that most have when playing. The odds of hitting one of the other smaller prizes is greater.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,795,425 times
Nobody thinks twice when they routinely throw away more than 1 dollar on plasticky, disposable, dollar-store stuff that is guaranteed to be thrown away a couple of hours tops after purchase.

The choice of buying a lottery ticket when you can easily afford the loss is way more rational than busting money on all sorts of unnecessary junk - which most Americans do consistently every week.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,433,858 times
People who rant against gambling usually just don't get it: People play for entertainment. The odds are not in te players favor and 3-5% who gamble find some or lots of trouble doing it, but for goodness sakes let the 95% who play responsibly have fun with it.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 AM

1,592 posts, read 2,803,789 times
Living in America is a tax on the stupid.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 AM

5,344 posts, read 7,933,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I 100% agree with you that it is foolish to waste your money away on the lottery, because the odds are severely against you.

However, your comparisons seem to be way off. However, remote the odds are...people "do" actually win the powerball and several times a year this happens. Has anyone ever really been hit by lightning 4 times in one week and let alone survived? Has anyone ever in history made 18 straight hole in ones on a standard golf course?

Not in one week:
Roy Sullivan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've played the Lotto maybe half a dozen times.

just when a 'Group' was going in. Not that I think I'll win, but I don't want to like that poor B@stard in New York who held out one week and that time they won!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance