Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 PM

230 posts, read 676,116 times

Advertisements

Hope this is right forum!

When Dad passed we found papers that say Mom has a TIAA CREF account worth a few thousand listing me as a beneficiary. It's very vague what EXACTLY this account entails or is worth, and while Mom is physically fine at 92 she isn't good at communicating so she can't explain it.

Right now I'm in critical need of some money and have no resources. Are there any legal ways of selling an interest in my future inheritance, at least in the amount I KNOW I am getting? The guy on TV buys structured settlements, this isn't one. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoberPup View Post
When Dad passed we found papers that say Mom has a TIAA CREF account worth a few thousand listing me as a beneficiary.
1) Who is this "we" that you refer to?
2) What became of Dad's estate?

Quote:
It's very vague what EXACTLY this account entails or is worth, and while Mom is physically fine at 92 she isn't good at communicating so she can't explain it.
It's worth a phone call to CREF to inquire about the nature and status of the account. It may have been cashed in years ago or it may have grown well above the amount shown on whatever document that you found says.
And btw, CREF isn't likely to reveal any such information to you directly.

Long story short... It's Mom's money until she passes and even when (if) it becomes your money it's still probably only "a few thousand".

If your Mom doesn't already have an attorney looking out for her interests...
I hope she gets that real soon.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 AM

Us: Brother and sister. Dad's estate has been inherited by the paid caretaker they've had for years, Mom's fund was one she had while working for a large university decades ago. Dad was main, then when he passed the beneficiaries became us. The paper we have lists $12000 as well as undefined stocks to be split between us.

Mom's SS benefits are quite high and she never used these funds. CREF did verify for us the certificates exist and are valid, but will only release sensitive info to Mom who is hundreds of miles away and unable to initiate phone calls. So the nature and value of the stock portions are still unknown.

Mom has no attorney, only the caretaker who already owns their home, cars, etc from Dad's passing -- and SHE has the lawyers.

And the amount I need desperately is far less than the known amount of this fund.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:38 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
I don't know of any ways to sell a FUTURE inheritance. How would that be structured? Even if you KNOW you are getting it, things could change. As beneficiary it simply isn't yours until your mother passes.

For instance: If I was the one giving the inheritance, and I found out someone was trying to get at the money before I had passed, I would write them out of my will.

Of course, if she desired, your mother could make an outright cash gift to you. Nontaxable gifts can be given each year of up to (I think) $12k. Not sure how this would be legally handled if your mother is having the communication issues you describe. I'll echo others-I hope legal counsel is involved. You don't want to get your hands slapped for handling this wrong.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Us: Brother and sister. Dad's estate has been inherited by the paid caretaker...
huh? I'm not familiar with this usage.
Do you mean "trustee" ?

Quote:
Mom has no attorney, only the caretaker who already owns their home, cars, etc from Dad's passing
Then that's the way it is. It sounds like someone responsible is managing her affairs and assets in a trust of some sort. When this trust was created were you advised about what the distribution rules and expectations are?

Contact this trustee person and ask them nicely if this (or any other) asset which you might be due to eventually receive can be made available now.
---

As Keim mentioned... gifting (cash or otherwise) is fairly common for wealthier people with "extra cash"... but that sort of thing may not be allowed under the protective conservancy I suspect your Mom Has.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:23 PM

Mom is the only authorized agent on the account, no trustee is listed. And CREF has informed us that if Mom talks to them and authorizes a withdrawal it can be put in my account. So all we need to do is get Mom on the phone to CREF while she's sharp.

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 09-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice!
whoosh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance