Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
.....Why do people even have deposits with this bank? I don't get it.
Because all banks are about as evil, but BOFA has more branches and ATMs around the country than the others.

By using their ATMs, right now I can save money over paying the fee another ATM will charge. Of course if the new fee takes place, I will move my account to a bank that doesn't charge it - if there is one that doesn't follow BOFA.

There's no sense in talking about which bank is more evil than another. There's no sense in talking about loyalty (except for certain credit unions), they're all coldhearted corporations that don't have any loyalty to you.

At the moment BOFA has slightly more options, more locations, and better technology than local banks, with the service being at least as good (maybe better, since they can afford to hire better paid, more qualified employees). So they're the one I choose for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 06:53 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Is the reason why you are so comfortable taking the side of the bank because you work for one?

These new regulations have been churning around Congress and the Federal Reserve since 2007. Nothing new here.

Why don't you do some searching to see what these banks have been planning for the past 4 years (Pre-Greece, Pre-Mortgage Collapse, Pre-Bailout).
I formerly worked there, yes, but that has no bearing on my bias. I'm merely a firm believer of the western banking system. And I inherently understand that the economic crisis is here to stay unless the financial system heals itself.

Part of my former job was banking functionals. Have studied Asian, European and South American banks in detail. BAC is actually being late in this kind of fees. Foreign banks have one million fees attached to them. And with government regulations flying left and right, the increased cost of personal banking is only a matter of time and is the future.

Shutting an account down for a charge of 5 bucks is mere saber-rattling and way over the top.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
Im staying with BOA the locations are everywhere unlike Chase and TD Bank.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
And state of the art secure. They guard my credit cards like hounds. Caught theft transactions thrice. The best online banking system out there. Extremely hacker proof in an age of cyber crime.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
How many locations do you need? The only time I visit my bank location is when I deposit a paper check.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:16 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I have posted this before,my credit union is in Denver and I have lived in FL for over 20 years.I have free ATM thruout USA also many other services.I can also deposit a check thru there security and my scanner for free.So I guess banks are in trouble or greedy.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 PM

505 posts, read 1,664,039 times
BofA should die because of their horrible service and high fees more than anything else. Their rates are way high compared to Wells or Chase. There's a good reason why their stock has plummeted so much. It reflects how people regard their product or service.

NJBest - you can photo and email in your deposits with an iphone or Android phone these days.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I have posted this before,my credit union is in Denver and I have lived in FL for over 20 years.I have free ATM thruout USA also many other services.I can also deposit a check thru there security and my scanner for free.So I guess banks are in trouble or greedy.
Right. While depositing via scanner is not as common.... free ATM use is. It seems silly to run around only using ATMs that belong to a specific bank.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
NJBest - you can photo and email in your deposits with an iphone or Android phone these days.
Yea, I know... but my phone runs Windows. Most banks don't support Windows.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
I went inside BofA this evening to ask them about the fees.

They told me "it hasn't started yet". (Duh. I knew this)

She said, "IF it is initiated it will be in Jan 2012". (Duh. I knew that too)

I asked her if it had anything to do with the banks not being able to charge up the merchants because of the cap, and they're putting that charge back on the consumer.

She said "I don't know". I asked, "well if you don't know, who in this bank does?" She said, "nobody because we haven't been told anything yet".

I laughed walking back to my car.

I saw a report on the news this evening that the money BofA is missing from the merchant cap amounts to 2 billion. And if every customer in the BofA system used their debit card it would amount to an extra 3 billion per year for the bank. Meanwhile they made 71 billion in profit last year alone.

What's an extra 1 billion OF YOUR OWN MONEY going into the BANK'S POCKET for? That's b.s.!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance