Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:41 PM

168 posts, read 770,134 times

Advertisements

Last week I was the victim of fraud. Someone managed to get my debit Visa card number (the card wasn't lost or stolen) and charged a $1200 flat panel TV from Dell. If this was a case of identity theft I could understand it, but it wasn't. The person using the card gave a completely different name and the billing address was several states away. I can't imagine why the charges were even processed by Dell, another company was contacted with the same info and they declined the charges. When contacted, not only did Dell refuse to cancel the order, but Dell's Fraud Division cannot be contacted by any supervisor or manager ever on duty, there is no direct telephone number that works, no fax number or email address will be given out, and 7 days later I still have had nobody from the Fraud Dept call me back after several attempts to contact them through (I grudgingly admit) people at customer service that did honestly try to help me.

Today someone from Dell called me to ask how I liked my new TV.

I'm not surprised someone knew what company to call first with a stolen card number.

I did learn something really important that your bank probably hasn't told you - the debit Visa card does NOT give you the same security of a regular credit card. It directly accesses your bank account and can leave you without a penny or even overdrawn while you process a "dispute", and they get the goods. An actual Visa or MC credit card could have declined the charges immediately. That might have gotten Dell's attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 04:55 PM

510 posts, read 3,194,544 times
Was the card used as a debit with a pin? or was it used as a credit card. The one time I had an oddball charge they were pretty aggressive about it, and got my money returned to my account within 24 hours. Depends on the bank you use I suppose, as it's really their card.

You may want to try and use this link: Welcome to Dell Community

This gets you into the dell chat area, with their forums and stuff. If you raise a polite stink (nothing mean or derogatory, just stick to the facts) you will probably get things resolved much more quickly. The easiest way to get a corporation to help you, is to show the public something that makes them look bad.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,366,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjewell View Post
Last week I was the victim of fraud. Someone managed to get my debit Visa card number (the card wasn't lost or stolen) and charged a $1200 flat panel TV from Dell. If this was a case of identity theft I could understand it, but it wasn't. The person using the card gave a completely different name and the billing address was several states away. I can't imagine why the charges were even processed by Dell, another company was contacted with the same info and they declined the charges. When contacted, not only did Dell refuse to cancel the order, but Dell's Fraud Division cannot be contacted by any supervisor or manager ever on duty, there is no direct telephone number that works, no fax number or email address will be given out, and 7 days later I still have had nobody from the Fraud Dept call me back after several attempts to contact them through (I grudgingly admit) people at customer service that did honestly try to help me.

Today someone from Dell called me to ask how I liked my new TV.

I'm not surprised someone knew what company to call first with a stolen card number.

I did learn something really important that your bank probably hasn't told you - the debit Visa card does NOT give you the same security of a regular credit card. It directly accesses your bank account and can leave you without a penny or even overdrawn while you process a "dispute", and they get the goods. An actual Visa or MC credit card could have declined the charges immediately. That might have gotten Dell's attention.
How did they manage to get your debit visa number? I never use my debit visa except at the grocery store on occasion. Let us know what happens. Did you contact your bank? I think you are better off dealing with them than with Dell. Let your bank call up Dell computer and try to reach their fraud division.

greenie

Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 PM

3,250 posts, read 9,149,696 times
Quote:
I did learn something really important that your bank probably hasn't told you - the debit Visa card does NOT give you the same security of a regular credit card. It directly accesses your bank account and can leave you without a penny or even overdrawn while you process a "dispute", and they get the goods. An actual Visa or MC credit card could have declined the charges immediately.
Card doesn't have to be lost or stolen to be used. They can get your number other ways.

See this thread for ways on protecting yourself: http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...ml#post1182309
Liz

Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 AM

168 posts, read 770,134 times
I've been told by the local police that it's possible to get the card number by using some sort of swiping gadget next at whatever machine you last used your card in. Someone just casually gets in line behind you and can copy your card info from the machine itself. Since I don't think anyone could have gotten the number any other way that makes sense.

My bank was less than helpful, it took them 7 days during which they kept saying that if Dell would just cancel the charges and call them to confirm they could refund my money. Dell kept saying that if the bank would cancel the charges and call them to confirm they could stop the order. Nobody at either place was going to pick up the phone first or allow me to talk with someone that might. I've changed banks and that laptop I was thinking of buying for Christmas won't be from Dell.

Thanks for the info UseJeff, I'll be sure to file a more public complaint. A company as big as Dell should have more responsible business practices. It's not unreasonable to expect the name and address of the card holder be verified.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,363,661 times
They can get your PIN when you use your debit at any time, this happened while we were in NM at a grocery store we ended up having 2000 dollars in car parts fom russia or something( luckily my DH checks the ballance every day and we had no problem getting the money back) sorry this happened to you

Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,363,661 times
Oh never ever let anyone at a restraunt take your card from you unless you are paying up front(you can allways ask to watch the transaction tkae place)alllway, fill out the tip part wiht a scribble or something so that it can not be filled in latter.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:25 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,493,673 times
Think some of you might have missed the detail that another name was used -- ie, not the cardholder -- so mjewell's card info was not stolen, just a 16 digit number was used that happened to match mjewell's. Never even had to know if mjewell existed, let alone steal a number from a card.

Bad guys trying to use false ID and bad numbers are part of daily business -- it is what bad guys do -- The far more hinky part is Dell in all of this. Why would they intentionally let a fraud go through and continue the process rather than stop the theft?

Answer forming in my mind is that by letting the theft fully occur, they get to make a full charge against their insurance carrier, if mjewell successfully reverses this charge. If Dell stopped the theft part way through, they have to pay for shipping out, stopping it, and return, and get no sale.

Need to send a letter to Dell CEO in Austin that you are going to sue in Texas Civil court for Fraud and Deceptive Business practices. And be prepared to follow through. Things like this do not just happen a few times.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 AM

You really can just do the best you can to protect yourself. If you don't hawk your card all the time, someone could sneak it into a card reader without your ever noticing...and then it's off to the races. People hack into companies who have your information all the time, and that can cause an issue with them using your credit, or just charging up your cards.

I personally have many electronic debits set up for my monthly payments, but if possible I just link them to checking, or a smaller limit credit card. I also use this smaller limit credit card for all internet purchases. Damage control I guess is the best way to describe it.

I have alerts set up on my cards, and checking/savings accounts that tell me when any transaction occurs over $150 as well. Granted a credit card takes 3-4 days to actually process through, so I wouldn't get a great jump on it. It's really just a good habit to check your bank account everyday at some point. Odds are against you having your identity or card numbers stolen, but if it happens, it seems to always be a nasty story with getting things fixed.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Think some of you might have missed the detail that another name was used -- ie, not the cardholder -- so mjewell's card info was not stolen, just a 16 digit number was used that happened to match mjewell's. Never even had to know if mjewell existed, let alone steal a number from a card.
I hadn't considered that... nasty that they just pick a number and run with it. I have to input my zip code at a gas station now just to get gas. How can a "computer" company be incapable of having a simplistic verification of at least matching the billing name with the card number. I have some decent background computer knowledge, maybe I should call them and offer my services. Realizing what actually happens is just baffling that it could happen... I wonder if they have their own delivery service? You have to think they have tons of short yellow buses around that could fit that TV...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance