Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,502,090 times

Advertisements

Are any of you getting these ridiculous recordings about "your credit card" blah blah, and "don't worry, there is no problem" and they want to lower my rates and this is their final call (yeah right)? Is there anything that can be done to stop these calls?

Last edited by fuzzymystic; 10-07-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 AM

61,403 posts, read 86,378,176 times
...I just ignore them...

Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,126,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Are any of you getting these ridiculous recordings about "your credit card" blah blah, and "don't worry, there is no problem" and they want to lower my rates and this is their final call (yeah right)? Is there anything that can be done to stop these calls?
Yep, this thread will tell you all you need to know on the subject.:

Constant Telephone calls

I was receiving these calls myself and reported them with DO NOT CALL and haven't had a call since. One time I did access their customer service and asked to speak to a supervisor and I was conveniently disconnected.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:12 PM

I am on the do not call list, as far as I know, just filled it out again though. These are recordings. I get them all the time, from different area codes, which is why I have to check every time one comes in. My husband has family members scattered all over and I never know if it might be one of them until I answer it.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,567,148 times
Quote:
I am on the do not call list, as far as I know, just filled it out again though. These are recordings. I get them all the time, from different area codes, which is why I have to check every time one comes in. My husband has family members scattered all over and I never know if it might be one of them until I answer it.

Cell phone or land line?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:42 PM

Landline. I would also love to know a polite way to ask charities if they are paid to solicit money from me, because a lot of the donations go to paying their salaries.

It seems like every time the phone rings, it's about my credit card-don't-worry-there-is-no-problem, OR someone wants money from me for some 'cause' or another. Cops, you know the ones who hand out teddy bears at accidents (?), or cancer or w/e--I feel like I'm jinxing myself by turning them down!

Why is this in business, finance and investing now??????????????

Last edited by fuzzymystic; 10-07-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 02:32 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,742,788 times
hehe, I once got a recorded message saying "This is XXX credit card calling with a very important message blah blah"...well, assuming the worst that my CC was hacked or something I called them up ASAP only to be told that the "important" message was that they had a balance transfer offer for me...grrr

Old 10-07-2011, 02:46 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,756,963 times
Quote:
Landline. I would also love to know a polite way to ask charities if they are paid to solicit money from me, because a lot of the donations go to paying their salaries.

It seems like every time the phone rings, it's about my credit card-don't-worry-there-is-no-problem, OR someone wants money from me for some 'cause' or another. Cops, you know the ones who hand out teddy bears at accidents (?), or cancer or w/e--I feel like I'm jinxing myself by turning them down!

Why is this in business, finance and investing now??????????????
I always tell those folks that I don't donate money without verifying the percent that goes to the charity vs. the percent that is paid to the folks calling. I ask them to send me the literature breaking down these numbers.

Legitimate charities have these numbers readily available and when I get it and if the percents are reasonable, I send them some money. If not, then I ask them to put me on the DO NOT CALL list next time I hear from them.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:37 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,784,926 times
On the calls that say they are a credit card (usually "nothing is wrong, but you need to call so we can reduce your interest" )... HIT the number 4 (ON A LANDLINE) until they hang up. You will give a real person a darn good earache or else you can mess up the system which is recording. (* a phone company operator told me to do it with a harrassing caller)

Charities? Tell them you never do this on the phone but they can mail you information with a postpaid envelope in case you decide you will, at some time, donate AFTER YOU CHECK THEM OUT. The rarely send it.

Politicians? let them jabber on and then tell them you do not do this on the phone, please remove your # from the list.

*****NEVER, EVER. SAY THE WORD "YES" in any of these calls. THEY CAN DOCTOR RECORDINGS*****

Old 10-08-2011, 02:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,629,349 times
Quote:
For starters, put your phone on the do not call list, and file complaints every time you get a solicitation call. These calls are made under the guise of being about "your" credit card, which is how they justify not having to pay attention to the do not call list. But they aren't actually pertaining to anything you have, and are do not call violations.

The best way to get rid of these morons is to ask them first thing, which credit card the call pertains to. They will hang up, and won't call back again.

Time share calls are another gem. When I have time, I yank their chains for as long as possible telling them I want to get rid of my two Starwood (or other) time shares, which of course, I don't even have. I try to get their information, then eventually break it to the caller that I don't actually have a time share, I was just looking to waste their time and find out who they are, until they stop calling--which they always do. It can be entertaining, and I have no reservations about BS-ing anyone. After all, they called me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance