Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I think it is the people that are better with money that enjoy life more. It's not fun to live your life knowing you're in danger of losing your house because you are paycheck to paycheck. I know people that are heading into their retirement years totally broke. Fun? How fun is that?
i think you're right, but being better with money doesn't mean not spending much. i think some people spend quite a bit and are good with money. i believe there's such a thing as over-saving, but it's not as risky as overspending. but if you do over-save, and you miss out on opportunities in life, that's a loss in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I get that a lot too but I am a conscientious spender. I do not believe in waiting until retirement to enjoy life. We are not promised tomorrow. I keep my revolving bills as low as possible and plan for trips and high ticket items.
such a simple concept. i save and spend. save for a trip to europe. spend it on that trip. i save for retirement as well. but there's a balance. if you can avoid going into debt, you're free to live this way. i have a 30 yr mortgage at a great rate. i could pay it off quicker, and maybe i will, but i feel no obligation to.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How about just even this: I don't derive enjoyment out of owning the latest doodad or ipoop or fancy shoe. It's not fun for me. I don't need them, I don't use them, and it just turns out being something I have to look after and take care of.

Forget finances...why can't people just acknowledge a difference in taste?
i think you hit it. some people don't realize not everyone wants a smartphone. doesn't mean you don't spend. if a 5 year old flip phone is still working for you, why upgrade? i tend to buy gadgets, and if i can sell it to upgrade to a new gadget, i will. if not, i wait until the old gadget dies. people enjoy different things. i love the outdoors. hiking, skiing, cycling. some of that is cheap, some of it is expensive. i'll buy a pair of jeans and wear them until you can see my underwear. same with my tshirts. but if i see something i want, and i can afford it, i'm getting it.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:18 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
My nephew is a money moron, and he lived with us this past year, his first in college. A couple of weeks into living with us, I asked him what was the biggest surprise and adjustment for him. He thought a minute, then blurted, "You guys don't LIKE anything." By this he meant our dismissal of name brands such as Nike, Under Armor, etc. He was raised to think, and truly believes, that his purpose in life is to buy major brands because that makes one very cool. And if someone does not define themselves in terms of brand loyalties and wearing corporate advertising, he does not know how to relate to that. To him, they are not participating in the world, as if they were also refusing to own a computer or phone.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:39 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
My nephew is a money moron, and he lived with us this past year, his first in college. A couple of weeks into living with us, I asked him what was the biggest surprise and adjustment for him. He thought a minute, then blurted, "You guys don't LIKE anything." By this he meant our dismissal of name brands such as Nike, Under Armor, etc. He was raised to think, and truly believes, that his purpose in life is to buy major brands because that makes one very cool. And if someone does not define themselves in terms of brand loyalties and wearing corporate advertising, he does not know how to relate to that. To him, they are not participating in the world, as if they were also refusing to own a computer or phone.
What's he majoring in? I seriously doubt it's a hard science, engineering, or business degree...

Truly feel for ya. You shouldn't have to have such a maroon in your house.

I would suggest the French Foreign Legion, but I seriously doubt they would have the kid, and the recruiter would probably laugh so hard he'd hurt himself. That and the FFL has never done anything to me, why should I wish such a pest on them?

Getting back to the original question - I think the free-spending grasshoppers don't like the company of the frugal ants, because they know how the story is going to end, but they don't want to think about that now.

I don't socialize with such people. When I run into them, thankfully seldom, I brusquely dismiss them - they don't bring anything to the table that I'm interested in.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:43 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
Why do those that spend assume those of us that like to save enjoy life any less than they do?
I could ask the reverse. I also see a whole lot of superiority complex in those competing to see who can be the most frugal, and it's the flip side of the same love of money that causes people to try to be or act rich.

Sometimes I feel I buy the things I do these days so I'm not associated with the holier than thou, "I'm more frugal than you are" crowd.

And I still put away for retirement, have minimal debt other than a couple cars and a mortgage. But I LIKE my Droid X, and I LIKE my Mustang GT Convertible and Mini Cooper (and my paid off BMW) and I LIKE the Royal Caribbean cruise I just got back from. I LIKE my big screen TV that is also paid off. I LIKE my travel trailer and big truck that tows it, and I like camping in it with my wife and doggies.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:44 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i think you hit it. some people don't realize not everyone wants a smartphone. doesn't mean you don't spend. if a 5 year old flip phone is still working for you, why upgrade? i tend to buy gadgets, and if i can sell it to upgrade to a new gadget, i will. if not, i wait until the old gadget dies. people enjoy different things. i love the outdoors. hiking, skiing, cycling. some of that is cheap, some of it is expensive. i'll buy a pair of jeans and wear them until you can see my underwear. same with my tshirts. but if i see something i want, and i can afford it, i'm getting it.
I'm with you in this thread.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What's he majoring in? I seriously doubt it's a hard science, engineering, or business degree...

I don't socialize with such people. When I run into them, thankfully seldom, I brusquely dismiss them - they don't bring anything to the table that I'm interested in.
What do you mean you don't socialize with them? Most people are like this. Aside from a couple of friends and my immediate family, I am totally surrounded by spendaholics. Especially at work. I sit there minding my own business, and people who don't make a tenth of what I do enjoy making derisive comments about how I should spend money just because I can.

Buy a new phone. Buy a new truck. Buy an iPad! Go out to eat more! Buy a home theater!

Maybe if I ever sound like I have a snotty attitude (though I usually just shrug or whatever), it's because I am constantly being bombarded by these fiscal morons and their obnoxious opinions.

No, I don't want your stupid iPhone. But yes...I will probably upgrade to first class on my way to The Four Seasons Hualalai.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

He's majoring in playing sports. Academically, he's aimless. It's just sad. Just an extended childhood for as long as the world will allow it.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What do you mean you don't socialize with them? Most people are like this. Aside from a couple of friends and my immediate family, I am totally surrounded by spendaholics. Especially at work. I sit there minding my own business, and people who don't make a tenth of what I do enjoy making derisive comments about how I should spend money just because I can.

Buy a new phone. Buy a new truck. Buy an iPad! Go out to eat more! Buy a home theater!

Maybe if I ever sound like I have a snotty attitude (though I usually just shrug or whatever), it's because I am constantly being bombarded by these fiscal morons and their obnoxious opinions.

No, I don't want your stupid iPhone. But yes...I will probably upgrade to first class on my way to The Four Seasons Hualalai.
Working in Nuclear and in Research, I just don't have the spendaholics around me, I guess they are out there in town but I don't go to places they congregate (where-ever that might be). When you do find someone driving an expensive car, in my crowd what would be typical is the '97 911 a buddy bought from the original owner - new price was $140K, he got it for about half that. $70K is relatively a lot for a car, but he got his money's worth, and paid cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance