Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times

Advertisements

If you know someone, would you tell us how it has changed them, either good or bad? I have heard all the stories that its not worth trying, because money is not everything, and even if you have it , you won't be happy. BUT I think I could be alot happier if I could have fewer money worries. Did your lottery winner become happier ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 04:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
I think he became happier for a while but he nonetheless blew through the money very quickly which is a fact which holds true for many of the big winners ... If you have the spare cash of a few dollars a week, what's the harm in trying? As long as you're not obsessed to the point where you're taking money off your family's dining table or digging into your child's college tuition fund it's harmless enough. I doubt there is anybody who seriously doubts that fewer money worries wouldn't make them happier. Not sure I understand your point.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:00 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,846,946 times
One of my sister's friends (from the 9th grade) won about $20 million or so about 15 years ago in the California lottery. She was around 30 when she won. I understand she bought a big house and a few luxury cars and invested money. She did not quit her job. Per your question the money changed her life for the better!

Now.... If I won the lottery or a big Las Vegas jackpot I definitely would be happy like this ------> . Especially during these tough economical times the money would be welcomed. I wouldn't go out and buy large homes, boats, jewelery, etc. I would visit a financial advisor to seek safer investment strategies and donate money to a few charities that I'm fond of. I would quit my job and enjoy life.

-Cheers.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:02 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
I've only known one person, and they didn't win millions -- just 50K. It helped out their retirement, though, so they were happy to have it.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
This is a really intriguing topic. I can't say that I've personally known anyone who has won the lottery, but I would think a person's psychological stability as it relates to their vocation before winning would play a major role in how such good luck was handled.

I've heard people say "if I won the lottery, I'd walk right out of this job and tell everybody where to shove it!" Such animosity- really??!! I know most people have had days and times when we've felt like this, but would this general attitude be true for everybody? Think of teachers, nurses, and other people who are in helping professions where others' stability, health, and happiness depends on their service. Many of these people didn't go into these fields for the wealth (outside of being able to pay for life's necessities) to begin with, but rather out of some compassion to benefit society, and if they won millions of dollars, are they just going to immediately walk off the job and tell their fellow coworkers tough *#$!, I won, so you're on your own.

Sure, I can see someone wanting to make some lifestyle changes in really short order by traveling, having a lot more time to themselves and enjoying some luxuries (maybe leave the working world but focus their energy on something positive they feel strongly about rather than just trying to pay the bills) but if they are ONLY about being hedonistic and doing what benefits them, I don't see this as a very good way to start a new, more prosperous lifestyle. Of course, someone who worked in a job that wasn't as much a helping type profession, but one that was solely to pay the bills with little or no passion invested, and someone who works with or for a bunch of jerks would have a different situation.

But the person who just drops everybody to only please themselves because of the money and the premise that "I do this just because I can", then I can definitely see how that person would be empty and unhappy (and maybe spending a lot of the money on vices such as drugs) despite having the newfound wealth.

Last edited by Jowel; 11-10-2011 at 08:36 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,036,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
someone who actually won the lottery
The Learning Channel . . Lottery Changed My Life

Videos

Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
BUT I think I could be alot happier if I could have fewer money worries.
More money brings MORE money worries.
Money can't buy happiness...

Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
I knew a young man who won it but didn't know him well. His mother was secretary-bookkeeper in our small office, and he'd stop in a few times each week to see her. I always thought of him as a major loser. After I quit working there he moved to Denver where he won an $8 million prize.

A year later his mother called to invite me to his Sunday afternoon wedding and asked if I'd fly her local preacher down to conduct the ceremony. (I had a plane at that time.) I said sure, and my wife and I planned to attend, but then she called back a few weeks later and said that the preacher had found someone else to handle his Sunday morning services here, so he wouldn't need to fly, as he'd have plenty of time to drive the 350 miles. We were still invited, but it was obvious from the start that we were only invited to provide air transportation, so we declined.

I heard from others that it only took them a few years to blow through the winnings.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
More money brings MORE money worries.
Money can't buy happiness...

It can sure RENT it!!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
yes i do. blew the wad. not much to show for it except for a million new wanbe friends.
when you get money, either earning, winning or inheriting it, lots of people wana "help" you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance