Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times

Advertisements

We've got a car financed for 0% ......

Anyway, yesterday in the mail was a letter from the dealer/car company "offering to make our Christmas a little brighter" by allowing us to skip our December payment (tack it on the end of the loan) for a "mere" $25.00.

The letter stated that "tis the season to spread holiday cheer and join in the spirit of giving", and that skipping our Dec payment would allow us to "check something off our holiday to-do list and focus on the spirit of the season" *snort*

Just wondering - how many people wil take advantage of this and how big a money maker it will be for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 11:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
Never got one personally, but I've heard about them mainly for home mortgages though. The kicker is like you said you have to pay for this "service", at the same time you get to pay another month of interest on your loan.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Never got one personally, but I've heard about them mainly for home mortgages though. The kicker is like you said you have to pay for this "service", at the same time you get to pay another month of interest on your loan.
Well, in our case, it wouldn't add any interest as the car is finanaced at 0%, but still......

Hmm, we have two mortgages (our current home and a rental house) - I wonder if offers will be in the mail from them as well?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,832 times
I've never seen one from our mortgage lender, but have gotten them for years for various loans we've had. Most frequently from our Credit Union. We rarely, if ever take them up.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Years and years ago (15+) I got offers to skip my car payment in Dec but there was never a fee for the priveledge, the interest just got tacked on to the end of the loan. I think I took them up on the offer twice.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:38 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I have had 2 car loans over the years and had a mortgage for 8 years, and never had this offered to me. Since I always pay off my loans in less than the allotted time, I wouldn't take advantage of anything that extends the time (or that cost a fee or added interest), but I could see that many people who are struggling to pay their bills each month would benefit from something like that. Might let you get ahead just enough to pay your rent on time instead of late for the next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance