Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If your income increases significantly, or your lifestyle changes (for the better) significantly, or god-forbid, we see hyperinflation.... will you increase your policy?
in the first 2 instances, i dont think i would see the need. i save a nice chunk of money and have a couple of decent size inheritances likely in my future anyway. so one way or another, there shouldnt be an issue with money for my wife and kids in my absence. in the 3rd situation i suppose i would always be open to re-evaluating my needs and making a change. its not overly expensive for the $1 million policy (465 a year) so id be open to going higher if i felt the need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Are you guys using the rule of 20? The rule of 20 says that you should have life insurance that is 20 times your income, so that at 5%, your family can effectively replace your income.

So let's say you make $50,000. An appropriate amount of insurance is $1,000,000.

I don't have life insurance because I don't have any dependents yet.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Are you guys using the rule of 20? The rule of 20 says that you should have life insurance that is 20 times your income, so that at 5%, your family can effectively replace your income.

So let's say you make $50,000. An appropriate amount of insurance is $1,000,000.

I think that rule is a bit antiquated, because it assumes that one's spouse cannot earn a living. My wife is the VP of Finance for a large commercial real estate company, owning shares of income property to boot.

To me, you really have to look at your total debt picture and what it will take to adequately finance the raising of your kids.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:

i didnt use that rule. my savings now could pay off my mortgage and other any debt we have with a decent amount more. so the million would just be living expenses that should go for a while. my wife wouldnt be set for life though like 20 times my income may do.

my wife hasnt worked for a few years now with no plans of going back. she was a reaearch scientist earning about 45k then. not sure what she could get if i dropped dead in the future.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:41 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
I always heard "10 times your annual income" for life insurance. I have a half million dollar policy on myself. If I were to die unexpectedly in the next 20 years, I think my wife could make it by on a half million, despite what the doom & gloomers say.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
despite what the doom & gloomers say.
well, we are talking about life insurance.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
When be bought the last policy on my husband a few years ago we didn't do any forumla with his income, we just looked at what we already had (401k, property and work benefits included), how much we would need over and above that, and bought accordingly. It wasn't cheap this time around either, he was over 50 with some heath issues.

We never even came close to having a million dollar policy, even when the kids were babies and we had our health.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
I made a statement about the children the OP mentioned (as clearly indicated by the phrase "OPs case mentioned children that..."), and you responded about how the statement doesn't apply to your children. Well, that was the idea, unless you are, indeed, the OP.
My point was that not all children need support... that's all.

We don't know if the OP even has children.
He/she just wants to know if "anyone seen or heard of any instances"... this could all be hypothetical discussion.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:13 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Conversations like this usually talk about a man leaving the wife and kiddies.
A young man with a stay-at-home mom and children is going to face unusual expenses if his wife dies .
In many cases Gramma aint gonna be there to sub for day-care which can hurt or destroy a budget.
If she worked and contributed to the household, the loss of her income may need to be made up for.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think that rule is a bit antiquated, because it assumes that one's spouse cannot earn a living. My wife is the VP of Finance for a large commercial real estate company, owning shares of income property to boot.

To me, you really have to look at your total debt picture and what it will take to adequately finance the raising of your kids.
Maybe yes, maybe no. How much of your income does your family depend on? As VP of Finance, does she travel, work long hours, etc.? Will she be able to continue in that job if you were not around? I know when our kids were younger, Dh traveled all of the time. He never would have been able to do that if I was not around to take care of the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I always heard "10 times your annual income" for life insurance. I have a half million dollar policy on myself. If I were to die unexpectedly in the next 20 years, I think my wife could make it by on a half million, despite what the doom & gloomers say.
Well, that translates to about $25,000/year, is that enough for her to live on? I think the biggest expense people forget about when planning is health insurance costs. If you die, assuming you are carrying the health insurance, she would have to get private plans to cover her and the kids. That can easily be a modest mortgage payment each month, eating up a quarter of that $25K. Then, taxes, normal living expenses, etc. and who knows? Even if our mortgage were paid off, there is no way we could afford to live her on $25K/year--add in taxes, insurance, health insurance and groceries and that money is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance