Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM

430 posts, read 1,694,679 times

Advertisements

My pattern has been to buy a nearly new car that is extremely reliable (Honda, Toyota, Volvo) and drive it for years, ~200k.

Of course I should be paying cash for a car, but let's set that aside for these questions.

1. I could buy a car I could afford at the moment, with high miles, and plan to replace it in a couple of years when I have saved up for better.

2. I could get a loan for a newer used car, payments are higher than lease payments, but would plan to drive it for ~7-10 years.

3. I could "take advantage" of one of the lower payments on a lease program for cheaper and what I consider less reliable cars, but I figure even a Kia or Hyundai should last a couple of years. I could lease a new car and then get rid of it before any real mechanical problems are due (2 years or so).

Which would you do, and why? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
I think you already know that option #1 is the most sensible.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Leasing can be a good idea in many cases. HOWEVER, it is not a good idea to lease a car you could not afford to purchase.

ALSO, it is not a good idea to buy a car you cannot afford. I, also, would stick to 1 since you are implying that the purchase of a new car would depend on future cashflows.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
If you want a new car every 3 years or so, leasing is much less expensive in the long run vs getting a loan or even paying cash. The downside is you will always have a car payment. It's a good idea if you get a new car frequently but not really the most financially savvy way to spend your money.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:15 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Golfgal is correct. It makes the most sense to lease for folks in image-driven jobs where a new car is often used to shuttle around potential clients. If such employment is structured to allow for the deduction of business leases that gives more advantage to such a "replace it every three" kind of behavior.

That said I agree with the other posters that would encourage the OP to NOT use a lease to "get a car they could not otherwise afford" -- that will likely result in higher maintenance and insurance costs too.

There is really a huge range of options in the new car market. Hyundai has really turned the corner and makes vehicles with better than average reliability / longevity.

The various "certified pre owned" programs from the higher end lines tend to have really attractive prices on vehicles with low miles, long factory warranty and a good system for loaners / road side assistance.

If you need your car for a long commute / a job that requires travel by car to clients it probably makes sense to get something that will be as safe / reliable as possible but given your past pattern of going to 200K I sorta doubt that "image" is an issue so unless your employment / role has changed significantly I don't see leasing working in the OP's situation...

Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 PM

38,880 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Option #1 is your best bet. I have a history of leasing vehicles, and even though it looks attractive due to the lower monthly payments, in the long run it's more expensive, plus it's almost as if you're locked into the trap of always leasing a new or late model vehicle and always having a car payment. Thankfully, I now drive a paid-off car that's reliable, and am no longer inclined to get into the leasing trap. To me, the best car payment is NONE.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:37 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times
I'm a both a car and efficiency nut and the only reason I would lease a car is if the brand was unreliable (VW, Audi, BMW, MB, MINI...basically anything european). I would want all maintenance included and I would want the option to rid myself from a money-pit if the car is unreliable after a few years.

I've never leased a car. I bought one car brand new and another one used (3 years old, 80K miles, and half off it's sticker price). I've driven a combined 280K miles on both cars and haven't had any problems. Before I buy a car, I do my research online and buy a shop manual to determine if I can work on the car myself or if I'm going to be dependent on a mechanic or the dealership. Again, I would only lease a car if I didn't have faith in the brand's reliability.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:10 PM

106,648 posts, read 108,790,719 times
like i said earlier, i traded in the 2009 bmw i had bought 2-1/2 years later .

my wife wanted to go back to something with alot more room. although we got a nice amount on the trade in we would have done better had we leased and not bought it.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 AM

437 posts, read 792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
My pattern has been to buy a nearly new car that is extremely reliable (Honda, Toyota, Volvo) and drive it for years, ~200k.

Of course I should be paying cash for a car, but let's set that aside for these questions.

1. I could buy a car I could afford at the moment, with high miles, and plan to replace it in a couple of years when I have saved up for better.

2. I could get a loan for a newer used car, payments are higher than lease payments, but would plan to drive it for ~7-10 years.

3. I could "take advantage" of one of the lower payments on a lease program for cheaper and what I consider less reliable cars, but I figure even a Kia or Hyundai should last a couple of years. I could lease a new car and then get rid of it before any real mechanical problems are due (2 years or so).

Which would you do, and why? Thanks.

I prefer not working for any car company.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:30 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Buy it and drive the thing until the wheels fall off. I had a Mazda for 10 years, another Mazda for 12, a Honda for 7, until my wife started driving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance