U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 PM

28,106 posts, read 22,881,067 times
Retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 PM

3,956 posts, read 3,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
There have been a few serious options that have been completely overlooked.

(1) Re-invest in the lottery - hey it got you this far. 10-20 million would by a lot of tickets and you'd be (almost) guaranteed to win again - I have studied sadistics.

(2) Buy my very own space shuttle and do two chicks at once in zero gravity.

(3) Move to Utah and start a cult. Donate the rest to charity (specifically my religious cult). A win-win.

(4) Swimming pool full of hookers and don perryhon.

(5) Buy Canada and give the rest to charity.

(6) Get a personal spelling coach........priceless!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 AM

11,642 posts, read 20,825,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Actually jackpot got raised to 363mm!

After taxes, in cash you get about 158MM. So give away/spend/whatever 58MM and you still have 100MM left!
$476M now!

Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM

890 posts, read 718,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
(6) Get a personal spelling coach........priceless!
It was deliberate, satire... you want a swimming pool full of something you can't spell!

Guess it's not funny if I have to explain it!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 AM

7,427 posts, read 7,750,416 times
I might move to a somewhat nicer house with a bigger yard, but don't seem myself buying a mansion or anything particularly lavish. I'd also share with friends and family members, at least enough to get everyone out of debt and pay for whatever education anyone wanted or needed. I'd buy a couple of properties in great locations and make them available to whoever wanted to use them.

But what I really dream about is setting up a non-profit foundation to fund causes I'm interested in. I'd like to buy land as close in to town as possible and create an a amazing park--rivaling Central Park or Golden Gate park, but on a smaller scale. (Our community is sorely lacking in beautiful public projects.) I'd set up an entirely free spay-neuter clinic with flexible hours for animals in our community. I'd set up a scholarship program targeted toward single parents. I'd put together an endowment for our local public tv and radio station so they wouldn't have to beg for funds all the time. Same for our local library system.

I could go on and on, but for me the joy would come from creating things I wish we had in our community.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,034,632 times
Answer to OQ: would move to Monaco.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 PM

3,956 posts, read 3,170,612 times
[quote=Marlow;23621328]I might move to a somewhat nicer house with a bigger yard, but don't seem myself buying a mansion or anything particularly lavish. I'd also share with friends and family members, at least enough to get everyone out of debt and pay for whatever education anyone wanted or needed. I'd buy a couple of properties in great locations and make them available to whoever wanted to use them.
quote]

Having flashbacks of Uncle Eddie and his RV (Clarke, the *****ter's full) on the front yard of a mansion!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,437,552 times
I would give ZERO to churches and other blood sucking institutions;
- Help out family members in need. 500k or 1M will cover that.
- Buy a beach out in Orange County for 3 Mil. Set aside 1 Million in a money market account for it's taxes/insurance over the next 40 years.
- Buy 3 or 4 more smaller houses in Paris, Rome, Key west, and Norway. Totaling 3 Million. (Set aside 1 Mil for its taxes/insurance in a MMA)
- gotta buy a couple of cars.....Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche. totaling 1.5 Mil. (set aside 500k in a MMA for insurance/taxes over the next ten years or so)

let's see, that's about 10M. the rest will be put in a few banks or very safe investments. After this, i only got three words for you all: Travel Travel Travel!

Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 PM

2,143 posts, read 725,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OK Let's Dream a little
What would you do with a 10 or 20 million dollar AFTER TAX lottery win? or pick any amount your want...

First of all: Where would you put the bulk of whatever amount you'd invest? I'd want something SAFE, and settle for just minimal growth/gain.

I was talking with my brother and with cities now on shaky financial ground he says he wouldn't even do AAA muni bonds.

As for what I'd give to people:
10 MILL: - 5 million for myself, 1 mill each to three siblings, 2 mill family education fund to take care of nieces/nephews college from the growth on that principle, and 1 mill among various friends, 1 million tithe

20 MILL: 9 mill for me, 5 million split among 3 siblings, 2 mill tithe, 2 mill family education fund, 2 mill split among about 10-12 friends

If I only won 250-thousand before taxes that's about 125-thou after taxes, I couldn't near as generous: 75-thousand for me, 20-thousand tithe, 10-thou split among 3 siblings, 10-thousand split among 10 friends, 10-thousand to pay education costs for nieces and nephews.
I don't know enough about different kinds of trusts (revocable and irrevocable) to answer that. First thing I'd do if I won that is learn about that topic. Then i'd figure out the details later.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:48 PM

2,143 posts, read 725,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Two chicks at the same time, man.
How exactly is that possible without having a forked **** ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance