U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2011, 07:15 PM

738 posts, read 487,707 times

Advertisements

Hire a personal assistant/dog nanny. This would be a live in position. Give my 2 siblings some but not much. Make much larger donations to 8 charities. Build my dream house. Not large, but with all the options. At my age I would spend about 10% a year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 AM

4,824 posts, read 3,414,379 times
While it sounds good to say, "If I had more, I would give away more", the more likely reality is that the people who are generous when they have only a little, would still be generous if/when they won the lottery. Others who don't believe they have enough to give anything away now, ... would probably not give anything away if/when they won the lottery. The Bible reflects on this quirk of human nature in the parable of the wealthy man who made a big show of giving a little, versus the poor widow who gave much out of the little she had.

In the TV series titled, "How the lottery changed my life," It's amazing how quickly some people squander huge amounts of money buying meaningless 'stuff' that changes their surroundings, but, does nothing to actually change them. That's because the 'God-shaped hole' in the human heart cannot be filled with money, stuff, fame, power or anything else this world has to offer.

Perhaps this is why many people who have very little in the way of money or possessions, are wealthy in happiness and laughter. Others who are extremely wealthy and can have anything they want, are among the most unhappy people. They quickly discover that 'stuff' is never enough to satisfy the desires of the heart.

I'm happy with who I am and what I have now and am not really interested in winning the lottery, which is why I don't bother to buy lottery tickets. I've already 'won the only lottery that matters' and am now "storing up lasting treasure in heaven".

Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 AM

517 posts, read 352,209 times
My wife and I would keep our jobs and build a 300 bed homeless shelter/s. It wouldn't be the typical shelter where you show up at 5 for a bed then get kicked out at 9 the next morning. It would have a community kitchen and bathroom for every 20 people with two or three common areas. It would also be stocked with men's, women's, and children's clothes. There would be all kinds of counselors on hand from crisis to financial. There would be a small board of directors that would review each person living there to find if he/she has been actively finding a job. If so, you get another month. Been lazy and taking advantage of the center? Back out to the streets you go regardless of the time of year.

I would also want to build a small center for single parents. Same rules would apply from the general shelter.

It would be a logistics nightmare but money talks, and 10 million is quite a conversation piece.

I'm sure we'd do some things for ourselves and family but nothing too extravagant.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 PM

5,956 posts, read 4,991,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I'd definitely donate to the charities I like, which are mostly all animal rescues. I'd really love to set up my own cat shelter/rescue, or else help fund expansions of existing ones so we could get more cats off the streets/out of kill shelters/into new homes, etc.

Me too! I volunteer for a couple of dog/cat rescues and for one of them, I'd buy a plot of land and build a sanctuary for the unadoptable animals, and buy them a vehicle of some sort to transport animals and supplies to different events. For the other rescue, just make a monthly generous donation. Also, would love to create another organization to educate the communities about pet overpopulation.

For myself, just pay off my condo, buy a comfy home (comfy, not extravagant), buy a comfy car, and just live nicely, since i'll be so busy with rescue and the new organization. I'd buy a home for my sister who has MS.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 PM

11,343 posts, read 6,308,853 times
Most people have no clue how much $20 million could do for them so I've done some casual math on this. After tax on $20 mil would leave about $12 mil, in which I could 'pay' myself $360 grand/year for the next 30 years assuming I would live that long. And that would provide a very, very comfortable lifestyle where I live. I wouldn't invest a dime of it.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 PM

1,657 posts, read 1,218,466 times
After donating to a few charities and taking care of my family members financially I would buy the bicycles that I've been dreaming of and upgrade some of my own bicycles with new components. I would buy a new 4 X 4 vehicle (like a Jeep Wrangler or Nissan Xterra) and I would do nothing but race bicycles and travel to races all over the United States for a few years. I would get back in the restaurant business and open a few places along the way and invest in a bicycle shop.

-Cheers.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:58 PM

11,343 posts, read 6,308,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
While it sounds good to say, "If I had more, I would give away more", the more likely reality is that the people who are generous when they have only a little, would still be generous if/when they won the lottery. Others who don't believe they have enough to give anything away now, ... would probably not give anything away if/when they won the lottery. The Bible reflects on this quirk of human nature in the parable of the wealthy man who made a big show of giving a little, versus the poor widow who gave much out of the little she had.

In the TV series titled, "How the lottery changed my life," It's amazing how quickly some people squander huge amounts of money buying meaningless 'stuff' that changes their surroundings, but, does nothing to actually change them. That's because the 'God-shaped hole' in the human heart cannot be filled with money, stuff, fame, power or anything else this world has to offer.

Perhaps this is why many people who have very little in the way of money or possessions, are wealthy in happiness and laughter. Others who are extremely wealthy and can have anything they want, are among the most unhappy people. They quickly discover that 'stuff' is never enough to satisfy the desires of the heart.

I'm happy with who I am and what I have now and am not really interested in winning the lottery, which is why I don't bother to buy lottery tickets. I've already 'won the only lottery that matters' and am now "storing up lasting treasure in heaven".
This is one of those rationalizing sentences on how the financially unsucessful excuse themseleves for not doing better.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:44 AM

18,399 posts, read 16,053,655 times
If it were a $10 million lottery jackpot (maybe $6.5 million after taxes)...

First thing I would do is start looking for a mansion, in Chatsworth or Hidden Hills, California. About 10,000-12,000 square feet would be the right size for me.

Buy a house for my Aunt.

Share the money with some relatives.

Donate to selected charities.

After I move into a mansion, buy some more cars (about 4-5). Pre-1977 Cadillacs and '60s/early-'70s American muscle cars.

-----------
If it were a $20 million lottery jackpot (maybe $12 million after taxes)

Same as above except the mansion would be 15,000+ square feet.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM

451 posts, read 689,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
First thing I would do is start looking for a mansion, in Chatsworth or Hidden Hills, California. About 10,000-12,000 square feet would be the right size for me.
Ahem... I don't think there would be any money left after that purchase for this other stuff:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Buy a house for my Aunt.
Share the money with some relatives.
Donate to selected charities.
After I move into a mansion, buy some more cars (about 4-5). Pre-1977 Cadillacs and '60s/early-'70s American muscle cars.
Hidden Hills Single Family Homes for Sale - Hidden Hills, CA Single-Family Real Estate - Realtor.com®
But you sure made me wanna dream, too!

I would take a 1-2 or even 0.5 acre lot with a 900 sqf house (somewhere in CA), though!
And a house for brother (parents already have one). DEFINITELY one for my son! Or, better yet, a few investment properties to run, so we would all and always have money coming.... mmm... Get a new car (just simple one, that I would drive as long as it runs), that single-family home with room for yard, thought-out (but still simple) furniture and decor and.... ENJOY it all!!!
After I have relaxed a bit that now I will not have to worry, perhaps, dig out some old talents and see about developing them And feel happy to help someone to do the same

Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 PM

2,876 posts, read 4,433,673 times
all of you guys are GIVING...which is really great but don't forget Uncle Sam...he needs the money too...GIFT TAX!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance