U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 PM

1,717 posts, read 2,501,979 times

Advertisements

Do fun stuff like go to the Mercedes dealership dressed like a filthy stinking street bum and then as I get thrown off the lot whip out 80k in cash at the last minute and tell the sales manger , I'll only buy it if you fire the salesman who treated me so bad.

Find a really exclusive HOA and bring in junk cars, put them up on blocks and violate every rule in the book and pay the fines just to tick them off.

I'd be too mean with the money, that's why I'll never win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 PM

9,290 posts, read 11,138,237 times
Some interesting ideas/answers here. To bring this thread to today's relevance, if you win the Powerball this week and take it in cash you would get 33mm (minus any state taxes).

To the gift givers: IRS states the maximum gift to anyone is 13K a year, so if married you and your spouse could give 26K a year to everyone or anyone you know without a tax consquence. Give mom 2MM and you then owe the IRS 1MM so that 2MM gift just cost you 3MM! Pass on large gifts to anyone (better idea, buy a house and keep it in your trust, let mom live there for free, no tax due and you get to keep the home when she dies, no tax due at that time either).

Yachts/Women/Airplanes.....the saying if it flies, floats or fvck$ then "RENT IT, NEVER PUT YOUR NAME ON IT!"

Cars- believe it or not, not a terrible buy. Easy to sell/trade, limited depreciation/upkeep/insurance.....when compared to say a house.

When thinking investments, don't forget to factor in inflation (what does $10,000 buy today compared to next year). 1.5% interest in a CD is taxable and doesn't keep up with inflation. Starbucks stock is up like 40% this year, McDonalds is up 30% just for examples. Hard to think of 10MM getting 1.5% taxable (150K dollars) when 10MM in Starbucks/MCD would have earned you 3-4MM.

I once worked for a guy that won the lottery twice. 10 years later he was dead and broke! Jackpots totalled over 23MM. He was a great guy, but the poster child for doing everything wrong (like the lottery winners shown on TV).

Lastly, states like NH have a 10% gambling tax.....as in 10% tax on all winnings on top of federal taxes making it one of the worst places to win anything but they do not have an income tax on earned income (like a job).

Speaking of jobs, remember if you are working that is 40 hours a week you aren't spending money......job could be valuable to impulse buyers!

Kids- Read a great article on a baseball player (millionaire, can't remember who it was) and how he divided money between his kids. Obviously a kid that was a Dr. would need less than a kid that became a teacher/social worker. He didn't care what they did, but gave them money based on the good they did for society. My simpler idea, give a kid the exact amount they earn on their own. Kid makes 20K a year, then match it. Kid is a slacker and makes 2K a year, match that!

Charities- Terrible to write checks, there is very little accountability once the check is written. Offer a matching program, you want a new building/shelter/church/ball field......agree to match them dollar for dollar on whatever they can raise from the community. If you have hundreds of other donors, it will be unlikely the CEO of the charity will give himself a 50K bonus that year (pi$$es off too many people).

Best idea on here (other than 2 chicks at the same time , LOL....Office Space movie one liner) is to keep it a secret. Lottery winner = sucker in the public's mind so why put yourself there. Collect your check in a blind trust, like the Main Street Trust (assuming you don't live on Main Street!)

Want to give someone money? Make them read the book "Millionaire Next Door" before they cash the check.

Have fun with your money, can't take it with you!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 PM

9,290 posts, read 11,138,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Do fun stuff like go to the Mercedes dealership dressed like a filthy stinking street bum and then as I get thrown off the lot whip out 80k in cash at the last minute and tell the sales manger , I'll only buy it if you fire the salesman who treated me so bad.

Find a really exclusive HOA and bring in junk cars, put them up on blocks and violate every rule in the book and pay the fines just to tick them off.

I'd be too mean with the money, that's why I'll never win.

I have a very good friend that got booted from a local Ferrari dealer, only to buy a 300K car (paid in full, no payments) from a competing dealer.

Why? He looked like a guy with no money (not a bum, but just a blue collar working stiff), salesman had stereotyped the wrong guy......

Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM

11,970 posts, read 10,760,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I have a very good friend that got booted from a local Ferrari dealer, only to buy a 300K car (paid in full, no payments) from a competing dealer.

Why? He looked like a guy with no money (not a bum, but just a blue collar working stiff), salesman had stereotyped the wrong guy......
Same thing happened to a friend. She paid cash for a 750 BMW at the competitor cuz the dealer (Weatherford Bay Area) did not like her jeans.

Laughin' all the way.....

Old 01-15-2012, 07:26 PM

526 posts, read 704,688 times
get every plastic surgery imaginable

Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 PM

315 posts, read 944,372 times
Share it with friends and relatives, give my kids enough to set them up for life, bank some , spend for better health insurance, travel if my health permitted it.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:05 AM

3,018 posts, read 5,089,306 times
A lot of you are very generous with your money. I dont know if thats necessarilly a good thing though. Giving millions to your "friends". I just feel like that could potentially be wasted money.

Anyway, here is my plan:

10 Million
1. Give my mom, dad, sister, grandparents 1 Million
2. Give my friends all $100,000. This is only like 6 total friends who I know are friends for life.
3. Create 10 scholarship funds for my old fraternity of $40,000 each.
4. Donate to said fraternity for 1 million
5. Donate to college for 1 million
6. Keep 6 million

20 Million
1. Give my mom, dad, sister, gradparents 2 million
2. Give my friends all $100,000. Same as above but I might give more later should they not change after I won this money.
3. Create 20 scholarship funds for my old fraternity of $40,000 each.
4. Donate to said fraternity for 1 million
5. Donate to college for 2 million
6. Give to distant relatives if they dont ask for it! I would give them like 50K or so.
7. Keep the rest of the 9 million or so.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 AM

3,018 posts, read 5,089,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

My brother in law has a tattoo of a guy tearing his face off on his arm. Hes private security in Iraq, so he makes around 180K a year. He walked into a really nice bentley dealer to buy a used Challenger they had. They treated him kind of like crap at first until he mentioned he wanted to pay cash. Unfortunately this was the car he wanted so he purchased anyway, but it was really funny seeing their perceptions take a 180 degree turn once they learned who he really was.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:28 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,447,811 times
Go fishing around the world for everything I have dreamed of fighting from black marlin to rooster fish, then when that was done, book the royal suite on a luxury ship and do the 100 or so day world cruise.

Come home, buy an f150 with every option, drive up and down the east coast and fish from key West to Prince Edward Island NovaScotia.

That's all I need..maybe help out some of my family, donate a little to cancer research etc

I wouldn't want a new group of friends now that I have $, I'm sure some shallow people would want to be friends with me though.

I would still wear jeans, a tshirt, and a baseball cap, and crocs. No country club, etc etc would ever see my membership, not interested.

Think I would donate quite a bit of money to schools that train guide dogs for the blind,...I always thought that was a noble cause.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:07 PM

48 posts, read 75,381 times
First off, invest at least half of 20 million.
Financial planners get paid to do this sh*t, not me. Give the money to my guy, let him make me more money than I can imagine. Invest in real estate, land, silver, and Oil/Gas.
Really, whatever makes me the $$, I could care less. If tobacco and alcohol make me millions, well guess what stocks I'd be buying.

1 million each to all of my family (2 sisters, one brother, my parents.) $5 million total?

One 2000 sq. ft. 2 bedroom house, with a 10 car garage.

Ferrari Enzo in red with black rims, Lamborghini Gallardo in Black, Porsche Carrera GT and a GT3 RS - one of each please. Plus tires and parts ($1.6 mill? 1.8?)

Ducati desmosedici and Honda Fireblade, plus a mountain of tires and spare parts. (maybe $200,000?)
I'd do up a proper Fireblade, put it to about 200HP.

Spend my days flying to world class racetracks like the Nurburgring Nordschleife putting miles on the best tarmac in the world.
Die happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance