U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 PM

48 posts, read 75,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I have a very good friend that got booted from a local Ferrari dealer, only to buy a 300K car (paid in full, no payments) from a competing dealer.

Why? He looked like a guy with no money (not a bum, but just a blue collar working stiff), salesman had stereotyped the wrong guy......
Up north there are scores of guys that buy trucks in cash all the time. These days they know to treat everyone like gold, because guys have so much cash it's insane. Watching the asian kids walk into BMW and drive out with 3 series coupes is impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 01:06 AM

4 posts, read 6,850 times
20 millions?

Quit my job immediately.

1. Buy a beach house and furnish it nice (4 millions)
2. Many, many "2 chicks at the same time" (save 1 million for that)
3. Buy a classic Mercedes and a luxury SUV (1 million)
4. Invest for my kids (2 millions)
5. Investing (5 millions)
6. Traveling (2 millions)
7. Clothing, watches, vintage guitars, messages, spas, weeds, shows @Vegas, partying, concerts, eating at the best restaurants, much more girls (5 millions for that)

That's about it.

Still, not enough money.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:50 AM

59 posts, read 166,528 times
Let's say 10 million after taxes.

I would invest 2 million in vanguard mutual funds for retirement
I would invest 2 million in Treasury bonds just to save

I would then invest 5.5 million in treasury bonds to live off of and then the rest is fun money.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,217,770 times
20 million dollar win... 10 million dollars (roughly) after taxes, i'd give 1 million to my parents, 1 million to my sister and 1 million to my brother.

7 million dollars, i'd buy a 400,000 dollar house. I'd probably still finish my engineering degree, and start doing a lot of investing, i'd study commodities big time and i'd try to get a good portion of my money OUT of USD. I'd do a lot of traveling, and find a really hot woman. I might invest in some businesses and I'd definitely spend a lot of time studying languages.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:52 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,217,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post

I would then invest 5.5 million in treasury bonds to live off of and then the rest is fun money.

I would never invest in treasury bonds!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:09 AM

5,200 posts, read 4,207,354 times
Depending on how long in the future these lottery winnings arrive:

#1. A plane ticket and starting over in some nation where the economy is not doomed and collapsing.
OR:
#2. A bug-out property where my family can survive WTSHTF, most cash in non-English/non-European currencies, lots of gold and silver and stockpiled gasoline/oil to run the homestead.

Organized religion? No way, they robbed my poverty-level parents their whole lives, accepted tons of donated work and free meals, and couldn't bother to visit either of them in the nursing homes or hospital the year they died.

Family members? All gone now, but when we pass I will leave our assets and cash to a DESERVING young person or persons who were born to poor families, to give them the break we never had.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,158,474 times
It would make a nice deposit on a house in the Seacliff section of San Francisco

Old 02-18-2012, 12:01 PM

322 posts, read 450,949 times
(A) 5 Millions - Cash deposit 5 Millions - Real estate
(B) 5 Millions - Stock Investment 5 Millions - Business Investment

What? Nothing for charities?
50% or 10 million as in the (B) of what is being invested would be for these purpose of charities to the needy where I forsee would be better than 10 millions given outright. If I am able to build a franchise of fast food consisting of healthy, yet tasty menu restaurants, www.zinglicious.blogspot.com , the charities would see inflowing of fundings instead of one time gift of 10 million as reflected by what was being done by Paul Newman Foundation. Newman's Own Foundation : The Basics (http://newmansownfoundation.org/basics/ - broken link)

GIve me a fish, I eat for a day, teach me how to fish and I eat the rest of my life. GIve to the charity, they may spend it for a year. Reinvest the capital, open opportunity to eat for many years to come.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM

2,546 posts, read 5,932,098 times
If I won 20 million- I would buy a nice townhome- maybe located on a beach somewhere. Buy furniture, buy a luxury car, invest money, and give some to family.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM

48 posts, read 75,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
and I'd definitely spend a lot of time studying languages.
Study mandarin, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance