Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which job to take?
State Job paying 50K 8 53.33%
Accenture job paying 60K 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 PM

20 posts, read 52,744 times

Advertisements

I have been offered two job offers recently and would like some opinions on which one I should consider more. The first job is a state of VA government job located in Richmond. The second job is with Accenture as a pricing analyst in Arlington, VA. I am trying to decide if that the job security offered by the state job (salart of 50K) is worth giving up the higher salary (60K) of the analyst job. They are both in different areas of business, the state job being a budget analyst, and the Accenture job being a federal contract pricing analyst. I have a background in finance, fraud, and accounting. If anyone has any advice for me on this decision I would really appreciate it. Would Accenture provide me with more opportunities in the long term that would make it worth it or does anyone have any experience working for the state government? If you have worked for Accenture could you describe your experience, work life balance, number of hours in a typical week, how performance was reviewed, and if you would recommend them as an employer to someone who has been out of college for 5 years and has been offered a position as an analyst in the pricing section. Any information that you could provide me with would be helpful and appreciated. The question is public vs private sector employment? Just not sure if working for the state would provide with the same network and opportunities as the contracting firm. I guess what I am asking is what is it like working for Accenture in a Federal non consulting sector? Does anyone have any experience with this company and its culture? Some background about me: I am 27 have a bachelors in finance, am CPA eligible, have taken classes in project management, and am currently working my MBA degree through distance learning at a big university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 03:03 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
You'll make the same or more working for the state per hour. Typical analyst hours are long and unless things have changed, it's salaried. Everyone I knew working with Deloitte, Accenture, PCW, etc worked 55+ hours a week (70 on average). The first year, year and a half in particular is rough. I'm assuming analysts are working similar to public accountants. You have to keep your hours up at 35 billable. You're constantly rotated through the various departments so you never know what you're doing (it actually takes 35 hours, sometimes more, to meet the billable hours). On top of that, you'll be in meetings and/or training for ten hours a week which doesn't mean you're expected to slack off on your billable hours. Finally, you've got the "optional" social functions which are usually a few nights a month. I really doubt you'll be able to handle your MBA while working as an analyst. The hours are just too long, and it's not zombie work, so you'll have to think to do it. That's second-hand knowledge for classmates. I worked at a boutique firm doing mostly life-cycle cost analysis for commercial construction. Less interesting work, less pay, fewer hours, much less career potential.

Working for Accenture is going to open up more doors. That's really the reason to do it. They pay is NOT great. Assuming it's the same $5-10k signing bonus, 20% bonus at year end, you're going to make more like $80k in total compensation. Considering the hours you'll be working (~70 a week average) it's not that good. Where it gets nice is post-MBA. Most are starting at $120,000 with a $20,000 signing bonus and the same 20% bonus end of year. If the government job follows federal pay, you'll be making 3-4% more a year each year you work. Getting the MBA you'd have a good chance of moving up a grade. Let's say you move up two grades. You'd go from making 50k to maybe 75k and cap out at about 80-90 if you become a lifer. Sort of depressing making half the money after 20 years of experience as some hot shot does straight out of school. On the other hand, most people burn out and take huge cuts in pay to take staff positions because the money really isn't worth it.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Default Deciding between job offers

Thanks for your opinions on this issue as choosing between two jobs can be a difficult decision and its nice to outsider opinions on the subject. Other opinions are also welcome.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:12 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
I'm sure you've already thought about this, but there are substantial cost of living differences between Richmond and the DC-area. 50k will get you much further in the former so I'd consider the salary of the two offers to be about equal. It sounds like the job at Accenture would be better for your career in the long-term should you decide to stay in the industry, but the work-life balance would put me off from it. I have a few friends working at Accenture and they're all always so busy with work. It really depends on your own preferences.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the advice!

Old 12-04-2011, 03:26 PM

It seems that more people are stating that the government job would be the better option. Anyone else have any other advice to share?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:00 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I'd be wary of that State job. A few weeks ago, the Republicans took control of the State Senate. They already had the House of Delegates and the Governor's office, so this gives them total control.

The Governor has stated that one of his top priorities will be screwing State employees.

Before anybody jumps all over my comments...Virginia is NOT like many States. Virginia has always offered lousy pay and benefits and there are NO PUBLIC UNIONS. It can only get worse for State workers.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks again for all of the advice

Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 AM

316 posts, read 877,281 times
The state job will crush your soul.

Accenture while crazy busy, will keep you on your toes and open more doors.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:27 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
What's more important to you at age 27- perceived stability or potential for advancement?? If you were 50, I'd say take the gov't job. But you're young and Accenture will open up doors & opportunities (both intellectually & financially) that a ho-hum state job never will.

State workers are on salary schedules, more or less. Accenture's employees are comensated based on skill & merit. By the time you're 30, you'll have collected your annual COL adjustment raises from the state and may be making $55k. By the time you're 30 at Accenture, they could be paying (or helping to pay) for your full-time MBA with the promise of a $120k position post graduation @ 32.

Dream big, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance