U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:13 AM

1,031 posts, read 840,886 times
Default Signed the wrong reciept at restaurant

Wednesday I went to a restaurant to order a takeout meal. I always get the same meal which costs $8.16 total -- paid with my debit card (used like a credit card). The cashier rang me up and gave me a receipt to sign. The next day I looked at my bank transactions online and saw that I was charged $37.46. Since I signed the receipt, is there any chance I can be refunded? Should I deal with the restaurant for a fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 AM

1,357 posts, read 975,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Wednesday I went to a restaurant to order a takeout meal. I always get the same meal which costs $8.16 total -- paid with my debit card (used like a credit card). The cashier rang me up and gave me a receipt to sign. The next day I looked at my bank transactions online and saw that I was charged $37.46. Since I signed the receipt, is there any chance I can be refunded? Should I deal with the restaurant for a fix?
You should start by calling the restaurant and asking them. especially since you are a regular.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 PM

4,377 posts, read 5,041,580 times
Read what you sign, and know what you are paying for... Never trust that the store is doing it correctly.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:52 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,344,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Same happened to me at mexican resturant . Wife and I loved their food and ate there often. Last time we ate there we left 5.00 tip on table and paid with credit card.

Got home and they put 10.00 tip on ticket. Went back and they denied it and we fineally got money back after we threatened to call news station. Never went back.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 PM

7,491 posts, read 6,943,110 times
You did not sign the wrong receipt. They must have charged you the wrong amount.
Signing someone else s receipt is not going to take money out of your account...? Or?

Old 12-11-2011, 12:49 AM

7,668 posts, read 2,505,862 times
Im so sorry they did this and i hope you can get it corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa
Read what you sign, and know what you are paying for... Never trust that the store is doing it correctly.
Yes thats the BEST THING TO DO!!

People do not care enough anymore about anyone TO MAKE SURE ITS RIGHT!

Old 12-12-2011, 04:58 AM

2,937 posts, read 2,111,056 times
If the account number is right and you signed it good luck. Just for grins you should check your credit report(s). Maybe check one of the big 3 every 4 months. Let them know because they might still have your order ticket on file or at least in their system.. If you were cheated let them know your going to post a statement on "yelp". At the very least they should give you a free meal just to shut you up..

If not boycott the place unless the food is that good. Then again if you complain loudly it might be a good idea to watch them make your food.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM

832 posts, read 1,015,228 times
Tell your bank you didn't authorize that amount, then go to the restaurant with the wrong receipt and get a refund. If they know you get the same $8.00 meal everyday it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:35 PM

5,741 posts, read 13,914,076 times
Wow, yes, start by bringing the receipt back to the restaurant. I think the odds are, they will be happy to correct the error. If not, then contact your bank.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:11 AM

1,031 posts, read 840,886 times
Thank you all for the replies. I went to the restaurant, explained the situation, and they gladly gave me a cash refund. And yes, from now on I'm going to look before I sign! Lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance