Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 03:26 PM

297 posts, read 899,071 times

Advertisements

These are the only two options I will consider at this point, since I was in a very indecisive state, but have managed to narrow it down to these two. It seems that mostly everybody is recommending either Fidelity or Vanguard.

I am a college student who will earn some "official income" money during the spring, but not a lot (very minimal part-time job). I also have about $500~$1000 that I received from relatives and saved up over the years.

As for utilities, emergency fund, transportation, etc, my parents and supportive extended family (we are from a culture where there is no such thing as personal business ) are saying JUST GO AND START INVESTING YOUR MONEY and do not worry about the other issues. Just focus on excelling at school and start investing NOW for the long-term future; you will need it!

As for a little bit of background of my future plans, I plan on going to get a PhD right after graduating from college, and hope to continue in academia if I can (to become a professor). Thus, at least until my PhD is done, it's likely that I won't be making any money, or very little (I will try but I don't want to be too optimistic when taking things into account)...

With these goals and future plans in mind, does anyone know which is better for someone in my situation, between Vanguard and Fidelity? A lot of people have been suggesting me to go ahead invest in an ETF for now although I don't really know how it works. I just need to know which of the two, Vanguard or Fidelity, is the most optimal decision (for someone living in Texas) who's in my shoes, and also why?

[EDIT]-> Or possibly a mutual fund instead of an ETF.... I don't know, I'm so confused

Last edited by avant-garde; 12-22-2011 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:55 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
i have both but prefer fidelity because they offer more services and choices.

i use fidelity as my bank, bill payment service , brokerage and source for buying cd's and bonds. i even direct deposit my pay check there.

if all you want to do is go index fund then go vanguard but if you have a use for all the other services fidelity offers than go to them.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:21 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
I agree withmathjak107 - I have had retirement accounts with both but closed with Vanguard and consolidated with Fidelity several years ago for the same reasons - they offer more and the level of service I found to be better as well.

That said, I believe that Vanguard may have lower minimum amounts for initial investments than Fidelity.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,458 times
insane to do a phd now

Old 12-26-2011, 02:16 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,516,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have both but prefer fidelity because they offer more services and choices.

i use fidelity as my bank, bill payment service , brokerage and source for buying cd's and bonds. i even direct deposit my pay check there.

if all you want to do is go index fund then go vanguard but if you have a use for all the other services fidelity offers than go to them.
Have had money in both and agree.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
As for a little bit of background of my future plans, I plan on going to get a PhD right after graduating from college, and hope to continue in academia if I can (to become a professor). Thus, at least until my PhD is done, it's likely that I won't be making any money, or very little (I will try but I don't want to be too optimistic when taking things into account)...
Personally, I like Vanguard better because I think Fidelity is has too many wild and aggressive funds. Fidelity funds also changes their managers too frequently.

But Fidelity does have some good funds. You just have to pick the right ones for you.

As for getting a PhD...unless you're going to get the PhD at an Ivy League school, you're chances of becoming a tenured professor anywhere are quite slim (unless it's a really in-demand field...but if it was, you probably wouldn't be wanting to be a professor).

Here is a good blog on this subject. It's aimed at people who want to get PhDs in arts & humanities, although I hear even some hard sciences also have a glut of PhDs.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:30 AM

one big negative for vanguard if your going to do stock trading is their research section is awful.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Personally, I like Vanguard better because I think Fidelity is has too many wild and aggressive funds. Fidelity funds also changes their managers too frequently.

But Fidelity does have some good funds. You just have to pick the right ones for you.

As for getting a PhD...unless you're going to get the PhD at an Ivy League school, you're chances of becoming a tenured professor anywhere are quite slim (unless it's a really in-demand field...but if it was, you probably wouldn't be wanting to be a professor).

Here is a good blog on this subject. It's aimed at people who want to get PhDs in arts & humanities, although I hear even some hard sciences also have a glut of PhDs.

Oops, I got busy and forgot to post the link:

100 Reasons NOT to Go to Graduate School

Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
one big negative for vanguard if your going to do stock trading is their research section is awful.
That's nice, but not important for someone just starting out. Very few people make money trading individual stocks. Heck most people don't even earn the published returns of mutual funds because they jump in and out at the wrong times.

I know you're not one of those people....but most of the reast of us are like that. Most people simply do not have the education or the temperament to buy and sell individual stocks.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 AM

i agree 100% but its still a difference i wanted all to be aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance