Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
43% of Slavemart employees children get their health care from the government while the WALTONS have more wealth than 93 million Americans combined. Perhaps if we raised the minimum wage to a liveable wage we would not have to subsidize the greed of the 1%
I agree that jobs should pay a living wage. However, the quote about the Waltons is misleading. I read an article in Forbes debunking it. Wealth is based on net worth, and 24% of Americans have a negative net worth (more debt than assets). The combined wealth of this 24% of the country is, therefore, actually below $0. So if you have no debt and $10 in your pocket, you too have more wealth than 24% of Americans combined!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM

782 posts, read 1,087,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's weird. I am at work right now, surrounded by single mothers who aren't taking any 'government assistance' besides perhaps the child tax credit and they would likely do fine even with the tax break.
Well, according to the sheeple who watch Faux News, they must be.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:23 PM

782 posts, read 1,087,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think this is a false argument. There are lots of examples of expensive fake food. Chips and other processed foods can actually be pretty expensive. Soda isn't really cheap, either compared to water. Juice may be more expensive, but you're not supposed to drink it in huge quantities. There used to be a thing called "juice glasses" that were usually 6 oz. Nowadays, thanks to all the ads on TV, everyone thinks they're supposed to drink 12oz of juice for breakfast. The portion sizes in the US are out of control compared to other countries.

Lentils & beans of many kinds are CHEAP.

Carrots are cheap.

Maybe some fresh produce is expensive, but when combined with cheaper stables, it's really not true.

I think it's mostly igorance / inertia more than anything. You go to the store and you're used to getting the stuff you usually get. You don't want to change your cooking/eating habits and whenever you first make a change, you don't do it perfectly, so maybe you overspend until you get used to it.
You're correct. My food bill dropped quite a bit when I stopped consuming soda and chips, etc, and added more fresh fruit and veggies. Having a salad as a main meal can fill you up just as much as a steak and side dish. I feel infinitely better too! Oh, and I'm back at the ideal weight according to doctor height and weight charts.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:29 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Some might observe the current situation and surmise that those who can afford to have children have the fewest and those who can't have the most. Isn't that really the problem?
Clap x 1000. Exactly.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:39 PM

106,661 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
You're correct. My food bill dropped quite a bit when I stopped consuming soda and chips, etc, and added more fresh fruit and veggies. Having a salad as a main meal can fill you up just as much as a steak and side dish. I feel infinitely better too! Oh, and I'm back at the ideal weight according to doctor height and weight charts.
i got to say salads dont hold me over at all.... i dont think man clawed his
way to to the top of the food chain to eat carrots.

i did try being a vegan for almost 2 years but eventually i just couldnt do it anymore.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-02-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
You might enjoy the book The Way We Never Were by Stephanie Coontz.

Here is a clip of a lecture she gave about differences between marriage and family in the past vs. how it is today

The Way We Never Were: American Families and the Nostalgia Trap - YouTube
Very interesting. I've heard some of that before, but it was really interesting to hear it all put together.

We shouldn't romanticize the past, but that doesn't change my opinion that kids are better off when they're raised within a committed 2-parent structure. In a way, the facts in the video support my argument, since it was clear that other factors -- among them being able to provide for children -- were more important than the quality of the marriage itself. Back then, kids lacking the proper economic support suffered and even died as a result. Today we try to prevent that, but we've run into the paradox of creating more of what we're trying to prevent, and we really can't afford to continue the level of subsidies there are for people who have kids they can't afford. In a way, promoting stronger marriage is a good way to avoid going back to some very bad aspects of life in the past.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i got to say salads dont hold me over at all.... i dont think made clawed his
way to to the top of the food chain to eat carrots.

i did try being a vegan for almost 2 years but eventually i just couldnt do it anymore.
I find salads hold me over better if they include nuts and/or some meat.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz1982 View Post
I agree that jobs should pay a living wage. However, the quote about the Waltons is misleading. I read an article in Forbes debunking it. Wealth is based on net worth, and 24% of Americans have a negative net worth (more debt than assets). The combined wealth of this 24% of the country is, therefore, actually below $0. So if you have no debt and $10 in your pocket, you too have more wealth than 24% of Americans combined!
That was one great article and really should make people think. It was written to debunk the myths about so much wealth concentrated in the hands of the top 1%.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/six-wa...172819426.html

Old 01-04-2012, 06:43 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I find salads hold me over better if they include nuts and/or some meat.
Me too, usually use chicken or shrimp. I often defrost, poach, and slice a chicken breast at the beginning of the week then use it for salad filler during the week. Same with shrimp, buy for cheaper in those five pound ice blocks at the Asian market to break up into smaller packets those are so easy to defrost and boil for adding to salad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Maybe some fresh produce is expensive, but when combined with cheaper stables, it's really not true.
Yup. I don't think anyone is claiming you can have a cheaper grocery bill living on raspberries and artichokes, but a reasonable cross section of fruits and veggies combined with grains and meat bought on sale in bulk can make for a healthy and inexpensive food budget. The biggest barrier is effort. It takes some planning, some work, and often some learning.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Some might observe the current situation and surmise that those who can afford to have children have the fewest and those who can't have the most. Isn't that really the problem?
Another interesting angle is intelligence vs. number of children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance