Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDwiki View Post
+1 for Clark. Suze & Dave seem to just bash the guests on the show about everything you SHOULDN'T do, while clark focuses on the positives and guides you to what you SHOULD do. Big difference.

There's also a "big difference" between dealing with someone who is $10K upside down in their current car loan and thinks the best option is to trade the car off and roll that loan into a new car (typical Ramsey caller) and someone who wants to know if he should buy an extended warranty for his new washing machine (typical Howard caller).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 03:14 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Something else to consider is they are wealthy. They didn't get that way doing the 9-5 thing. Well let me rephrase that Clark did but his money came from selling his business. Also remember they give out general advice and they change their advice per the economy..

Old 01-05-2012, 02:54 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
turn both of them off and try ray lucia and his shows
I listen to Ray Lucia on the radio while driving.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
What? No fans of Suze Orman?

(Just kidding now need to answer, and off onto a tangent talking about her)
She is basic though.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 PM

Dave Ramsey is into common sense approach and how to manage your budget. Not really into investing.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
What a comparision...Two AM radio financial guru's...

I Knew about Clark Howard long beforre I ever heard Dave Ramnsey...

Clark has such a dry vanilla style, where as Dave Ramnsey is like a charging bull...

Neither men looked the way I thought they would when I actually say their photos...

Also, i think Dave has more of a religious twist to his show...he relates being out of debt to being 'godly'...

Where as Clark Howard is pure secular in his reasoning...

If I were a woman, I think I'd rather be married to Dave...

If I were a kid...i think I'd rather have Dave as my Father...

I would dread being Clark Howards daughter come prom time...can just see Clark taking his daughter to some basement sale to get a dress...

The true test of which man is more financially astute...give each $500,000 and in 4 years see which one has done what with it...

Old 01-20-2012, 01:06 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
This post makes about as much sense as saying "Why watch 'Hannah Montana' when you could watch 'Face the Nation.'"

They aren't interchangeable. Each serves a different target audience. Dave Ramsey primarily gives advice dealing with getting our of debt. Clark Howard primarily gives advice on how to get the most for your money. I believe both give honest advice to their respective audiences. And I don't see any reason why a person wouldn't listen to both.
You beat me to it - if someone listens to both hosts and somehow can't discern how each one has different target audiences shows that this is another weak "I hate (am jealous of) Dave Ramsey" topic.:rolleye

Unless Scooby-Doo and Law & Order are meant for the same target audience, too.....

Old 03-18-2018, 03:43 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
The one thing overlooked is that each one makes money telling other people about money. They make beaucoup buckaronies.

( I'm in the wrong business).

Some of it is common sense, some of it is comparison, some of it ( like Jim Cramer) target specifics, in JC s case, stock and bond investing.

Just lije the magazine's, money is different from fortune, which is different from xyz magazine which is different from investment newsletters.

If you listen to them all, you can glean what works for or applies to you, and disregard the rest, or you can ignore them all, and wing it yourself.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:43 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
The one thing overlooked is that each one makes money telling other people about money. They make beaucoup buckaronies.

(I'm in the wrong business).
They basically built a "brand" around their name and convinced enough people to listen to them consistently and what they are saying, which in turn made them quite wealthy.

I'm not saying what they did was hard or easy for that matter, but there's a lot of televangelists out there that have become insanely wealthy having the sheeple listen to what they want to hear!

Old 03-18-2018, 11:49 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
They basically built a "brand" around their name and convinced enough people to listen to them consistently and what they are saying, which in turn made them quite wealthy.

I'm not saying what they did was hard or easy for that matter, but there's a lot of televangelists out there that have become insanely wealthy having the sheeple listen to what they want to hear!
Yup.

AGAIN, I'm in the WRONG business!

I can read and spout out bible verses, and interpret tgem, too.

Just like I can tell people what to do with their money!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance