Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 AM

93 posts, read 100,364 times

Advertisements

Dave Ran=msey is a charlatain out for number one, Clark Howard gives more concise, timely information and you can tell he genuinely cares about people. My advice to those who want practical advice on personal finance is to turn off Ramsey and tune in to Clark Howard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 10:15 AM

106,647 posts, read 108,790,719 times
turn both of them off and try ray lucia and his shows

Old 01-01-2012, 10:22 AM

929 posts, read 2,092,287 times
Try turning them all on and reading as much as you can, then filter out the useful nuggets and trash the rest. In the end... you have to make the financial decisions and that's the way it should be. If you make a mistake, you pay the price.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:39 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
What? No fans of Suze Orman?

(Just kidding now need to answer, and off onto a tangent talking about her)

Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEssex View Post
Dave Ran=msey is a charlatain out for number one, Clark Howard gives more concise, timely information and you can tell he genuinely cares about people. My advice to those who want practical advice on personal finance is to turn off Ramsey and tune in to Clark Howard!
This post makes about as much sense as saying "Why watch 'Hannah Montana' when you could watch 'Face the Nation.'"

They aren't interchangeable. Each serves a different target audience. Dave Ramsey primarily gives advice dealing with getting our of debt. Clark Howard primarily gives advice on how to get the most for your money. I believe both give honest advice to their respective audiences. And I don't see any reason why a person wouldn't listen to both.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:04 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEssex View Post

My advice is not to listen to unsupported, unsolicited advice on the internet!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:39 PM

52 posts, read 199,218 times
I have listened to both Clark Howard and Dave Ramsey, also Suzi Ormann. I listen to Ray Lucia all the time too!
I guess you know what I do everday! lol.

I stopped listening to Clark Howard a few years ago, not out of spite but out of boredom. Dave Ramsey is pretty good, I listen to him every so often, but he really doesnt apply to me. What I mean is, I've been living what Dave Ramsey promotes, eat rice and beans and save money, no car debts. One thing I dont get is he keeps saying you dont need credit, to buy a house you do. Perhaps he doesnt need credit to buy a house (he can afford to buy one outright) but most of America needs it.
I keep listening to Dave Ramsey because I like to see what idiot America does with there money and be happy that I am not those people that cant manage a nickle.

Ray Lucia on the other hand directly applies to me. The Brain Trust serves people with money that want to know where to park their money and avoid unnecessary taxes (best money moves) and retirement talk.

Suzi Ormann, seems to concentrate on women and just blathering for tv sake.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:43 PM

153 posts, read 317,878 times
+1 for Clark. Suze & Dave seem to just bash the guests on the show about everything you SHOULDN'T do, while clark focuses on the positives and guides you to what you SHOULD do. Big difference.

As for me, Ric Edelman is the man.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I listen to many of them and also read opinions/analysis on internet sites.
Then I take the bits and pieces that apply to my life and apply them in my way.

It's worked out well over the years. I don't rely on any one source because I fear they all have some angle and I don't want to get sucked in.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:02 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Ray Lucia is very good for the long term approach.

Phil's Gang for short term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance