Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 PM

198 posts, read 467,416 times

Advertisements

Is there anyway to remove someone having financial power of attorney?

My grandmother has a sizable trust due to the past success of the family business. However she's got some dementia at 88 years old, and can't manage her affairs by herself anymore. My mother took it upon herself to make it her my grandmother's power of attorney.

For a while things went smoothly, however certain decisions don't seem very kosher or in the interest of my grandmother.

My mother is fielding an offer to buy more of the family business (which is doing poorly) from a relative using my grandmother's assets. This will give her, through my grandmother, majority control of the family business. Many people in the family business disagree with this proposed change in power dynamics, and my mother is a lone voice shouting against the idea of selling the family business. Notably, my mother works for the family business, is the youngest, and has done the least to secure her retirement.

There's also the new issue of favoritism. As part of estate planning strategy, my grandmother has gifted generously to her grandchildren (the maximum non taxable federal gift allowance). This year in addition to that, my mother has used grandma's money to buy me a car, and is in the process of buying my sister a house worth roughly $200k. Suffice it to say my cousins have received no similar gifts, and would ostensibly object to what seems to be clear favoritism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,510,384 times
Umm--

this kind of sounds like a disaster. If your grandmother were competent and said "go ahead and buy sweet little lulu a new house!" - there'd be no issue.

But with your grandmother's competence questionable, well -- this just looks bad.

Seems like if someone in the family wanted to go after your mom for neglecting her fiduciary responsibility to her mother, there might be a case. Or at least enough strange looking to threaten a case and make everyone miserable.

I would think you'd have to go to course to have the power of attorney status changed - because if your grandmother is no longer competent, she cannot change it herself. So you'd have to basically get the court to find that your mother is not acting in the best interests of her mother, and then the court would appoint someone (like a financial guardianship) to manage things.

Sounds like it could get ugly..

Last edited by Briolat21; 11-12-2012 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: forgot last paragraph!!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,124,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
Is there anyway to remove someone having financial power of attorney?

My grandmother has a sizable trust due to the past success of the family business. However she's got some dementia at 88 years old, and can't manage her affairs by herself anymore. My mother took it upon herself to make it her my grandmother's power of attorney.

For a while things went smoothly, however certain decisions don't seem very kosher or in the interest of my grandmother.

My mother is fielding an offer to buy more of the family business (which is doing poorly) from a relative using my grandmother's assets. This will give her, through my grandmother, majority control of the family business. Many people in the family business disagree with this proposed change in power dynamics, and my mother is a lone voice shouting against the idea of selling the family business. Notably, my mother works for the family business, is the youngest, and has done the least to secure her retirement.

There's also the new issue of favoritism. As part of estate planning strategy, my grandmother has gifted generously to her grandchildren (the maximum non taxable federal gift allowance). This year in addition to that, my mother has used grandma's money to buy me a car, and is in the process of buying my sister a house worth roughly $200k. Suffice it to say my cousins have received no similar gifts, and would ostensibly object to what seems to be clear favoritism.
See a probate attorney, or there should be an Ombudsman in your county...discuss w/ them your concerns.

Might be some info on these links
Power of Attorney Abuse Article
Removal of Power of Attorney

Last edited by JanND; 11-12-2012 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance