Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 02:23 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times

Advertisements

Contemplating purchasing Aflac (or a similar product) prior to trying to conceive.

In NC and I haven't located a rep yet. Having difficult obtaining some information. Submitted request via the website but they didn't follow up. I called them instead, was promised an E-mail that never came.

Just wondering about others experiences with Aflac and claims or overall satisfaction with the product, where pregnancy and delivery are concerned.

Also, is the coverage more comprehensive in some states when compared to others?

Any input would be good - as well as suggestions for other companies to contact that offer supplemental insurance.

Thank you kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 05:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
If you have regular health insurance you will be fine. There is usually a waiting period before you can get pregnant and file a claim, often that is 2 years.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I am nearly positive that any medical disability policy (like those offered by AFLAC or other insurers that do not advertise as much...) will not pay for the "voluntary" medical procedure leave time, such as what is required for a normal delivery.
They will generally have a few weeks of payments if you need a C-section (not a scheduled one, but an emergency procedure) and should the mother run into additional complications that prevent her from returning to work they probably will make payments for the recovery period.
I would imagine that other complication that are more serious (like abprution or CVA {both extremely rare with modern prenatal care / monitoring}) would also be covered. I doubt an payments would be made simply for maternal leave...

Old 01-11-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I am nearly positive that any medical disability policy (like those offered by AFLAC or other insurers that do not advertise as much...) will not pay for the "voluntary" medical procedure leave time, such as what is required for a normal delivery.
They will generally have a few weeks of payments if you need a C-section (not a scheduled one, but an emergency procedure) and should the mother run into additional complications that prevent her from returning to work they probably will make payments for the recovery period.
I would imagine that other complication that are more serious (like abprution or CVA {both extremely rare with modern prenatal care / monitoring}) would also be covered. I doubt an payments would be made simply for maternal leave...
AFLAC does have a pregnancy policy but like I said, you usually have a 2 year (or 18 month) waiting period before you can get pregnant and then file your claim. If you figure the premium cost over that time against what it pays out you usually end up in the hole paying the premiums. You are just better off taking a Short Term group disability policy from work if you have that option.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:14 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Ah, that makes more sense...

I now see that you are saying the amount you'd need to pay in premiums prior to taking a scheduled leave for pregnancy would likely exceed the payments one could receive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
AFLAC does have a pregnancy policy but like I said, you usually have a 2 year (or 18 month) waiting period before you can get pregnant and then file your claim. If you figure the premium cost over that time against what it pays out you usually end up in the hole paying the premiums. You are just better off taking a Short Term group disability policy from work if you have that option.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
It's actually 10 months.

If anyone has personal insight, I would appreciate input.

STD is not an option for me but thank you.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
It's actually 10 months.

If anyone has personal insight, I would appreciate input.

STD is not an option for me but thank you.
What was the quote you got, how much were the premiums and what is the payout?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Do a google search on Aflac Maternity insurance-here is one result Aflac "Maternity" insurance, deliver JUST before the 10 month mark? [Archive] - Pinching Your Pennies Forums

One woman has 3 policies to fully cover her maternity, hospital and delivery for $300/month. For that she got a payout of $6500. You have to have the policy AT LEAST 10 months before you get anything so right there you are at $3000. If it takes you say, 18 months to conceive and give birth, you have just spent what the payout would be--so just put the $300 in the bank each month. I would also look into a private STD plan, they are more expensive than a group plan but probably a better benefit than an AFLAC plan. I am a huge supporter of insurance, just not this KIND of insurance.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:30 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
most of aflac stuff makes them big bucks.
many states didnt even let them sell their single disease policies in them.

their cancer policies are huge profit makers. if you look up the odds of getting one of the more popular cancers during your working years its so tiny as to make being a lottary winner a better odd.

even their short term disability stuff can be very very hard to collect on.

it looks like you must be diagnosed and not be able to work all in the same year diagnosed as once diagnosed you wont be renewed.

so lets say you are diagnosed with parkinsons. you may still be able to work with no problem. if you dont tell them you were diagnosed when you renew at years end if you are unable to work down the road they will deny your claim. if you do tell them at renewal your were diagnosed they more than likely wont renew you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance